Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: I posted a poll on another forum to which I am a member. Would you (the general RV buying public) b
Yes 11 73.33%
No 0 0%
Wouldnt make a difference- I can fix my own stuff 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2005, 07:27 AM   #1

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2005, 07:27 AM   #2

I posted a poll on another forum to which I am a member. Would you (the general RV buying public) be more inclined to purchase a used Rv from a dealer that offered a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty than purchase from a dealer that doesnt offer it? The reason I ask is that I am an exclusive R-Vision dealer and similar to car dealerships now that offer warrantys on their used vehicle IE GM optimum etc. I feel that perhaps this is way to step ahead of competition and be 1st off the mark with such a program. This post is not a "sly" method of promoting my store - I won't disclose my location, so please, honest comments are welcome.
Greg

Old 03-07-2005, 10:51 AM   #3

WOW!!! I got to be the first one!!
Most of what I can afford does not come with much of a warranty anyhow.........
Tom
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:48 PM   #4

Way to go I get to be second

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:18 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The dealer could always get CPS Ins an tack it on the price of MH, or is he going to eat into his profits to repair a major problem. I myself have done minor repairs, know it would be done right no hassles with dealers. Some major problems have gone to Mfg.---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 07:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My concern would be powertrain and drivetrain issues. I have seen some of the "toads" that are hauled behind some of the larger MH's.
Chet
Old 03-08-2005, 05:05 AM   #7

I'm sorry. I should have been more clear regarding my question. I am not a motorhome dealer. I am a dealer that carries one brand of travel trailers and 5th wheels. The company I deal with has several different lines so I have something for nearly everybody. So my question would be related specifically tt and 5ths. Also, no I am not talking about hiding an extended service contract in the price. I am usually very picky when it comes to trades- I want nice late model product here. I feel that if you have the right to be "choosy" about what, where people buy their RV's then so do I. So I generally have top quality trades anyways. Thank you all for your input so far. I did post this question to generate conversation and to get an understanding about what "drives" the RV end users such as you good people.
Thanx again
Greg
Old 03-08-2005, 05:26 AM   #8

I just purchased a new trailer and my wife and I discussed looking for used.

In my opinion a 1 year warranty would be a good selling point on a trailer that is a few years older. I wouldn't see much if it was 2 or less years old.

Based on your comments about being picky on what you take as trades I don't think that it would help. I have looked at a few mint used trailers. My thoughts are that for the asking price I would go ahead and buy a new one with a factory warranty.

Finally, even though this is a selling point and not an upcharge the public isn't going to view it that way. They are going to look at the price and see that it is a little higher than the guy down the road and equate that to having to pay for the warranty.

Bill Christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:04 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Christoff:
Finally, even though this is a selling point and not an upcharge the public isn't going to view it that way. They are going to look at the price and see that it is a little higher than the guy down the road and equate that to having to pay for the warranty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And they will nickel and dime you to death unless you have a list of exclusions in which case you get the reputation of having a warranty that isn't worth a hill of beans.

<font color=blue>F250 Supercab</font>, <font color=#33ccff>Prowler 5ver,</font>,</font><font color=red> Colorado Springs CO</font>
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:18 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It seems obvious to me that a 1 year warranty has significant value, even if just for "peace of mind" concerning big ticket items (refrigerators, for example). How much value is another story and something that each of us will evaluate differently.

I fix my own stuff - sometimes even when it is covered by a warranty. I do it for my convenience and because I know the quality of my own work. But I don't want to have to pay for a new fridge or a/c unit either, so a dealer warranty still has value.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:19 AM   #11

A lot of new RV owners have never been RV'ing before and are not equipted to handle even the, what is to most of us, a easy repair. So the offer of a year warranty, all inclusive, would be a major selling point, if, and I do mean if, you actually back it up with a parts and labor warranty without having the buyer wait 6 months for repair, be charged for nuts and bolts, etc. Word of mouth in this industry can make or break the best of dealers so I would be careful in what you offer and deliver

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 07:03 AM   #12

Thanks again for those of you that replied. I am talking about an inclusive parts and labour warranty. No nickel and diming. We always do a comprehsive PDI anyway so I know when it leaves that the coach is in excellent shape. My only stipulations would be that this is a warranty not insurance ie you break you buy it. And perhaps a manditory inspection at some point in within that year. I fel that such inspections are good anyways so we can head off problems before they become serious issues. At this point with the responses I've got here and in other forums I am going to proceed with this plan. If I get good response from sales I'll continue it after a review in say 6 months.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:26 AM   #13

I hope you do come back in six months for an update for us. I for one would definetly buy from the dealer that offered a good warranty and looked like he could back it up. It would not matter to me if the price was a little higher, you pay for quality and service after the sale. Nothing will ruin a RV experience like a malfunctioning RV. Especially when you aren't sure who will fix it and when. IMHO
Old 03-08-2005, 07:35 AM   #14

Well I'll be back here long before 6 months are up but I will keep members posted as to how the program progress's. Now I just need to name it. Something catchy but simple. How about a contest. The winner who gives me the best name for my program gets a prize! :-)