Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-20-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
AAA or Good Sam or Other Roadside Assistance ?

Need to get some kind of towing and other . AAA good or something else ? Thanks , I know this has probably been over asked and is like " Ford or Chevy " so I apoligize ahead of time !

earlbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 06:58 AM   #2
Coach-Net is a good one.

Rich 1997 35' Dutch Star
jettyjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
I have no experience and can only repeat what I have garnered from some of the forums I've read.
AAA is great for cars, not so much for RVs. Both Coachnet and Good SAMs have complaints but there seems to many more complaints against Good Sam.
I have Cochnet but hope to not find out how good they might be.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:46 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
I've had to use Good Sam for my MH, my auto, & my pickup truck. I had good experience each time. JMHO

"Always take free advice for what its worth" JJH
J.J. Hayden (KN4SH)
Covington, GA
2005 National Dolphin 5342
JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #5
AAA ERS has zones that each have different rules. Do your homework, ask questions, to decide it AAA works for your specific needs. Coachnet and GS ERS programs mostly use the same providers for service. There are negative threads about both of them.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #6
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have had CoachNet for years and used them 3 times. Each time has been satisfactory or better. Last time was just last March when the ISX blew up. Took the tow outfit some 3 hours to get the Magna setup and underway. The driver did complain about the weight of the Magna though. He said he'd towed Greyhound buses that weighed less. The one problem was they hung a light bar off the back end and didn't pad it so it scratched the paint. Working on a claim for that through CoachNet now although Cummins NW is trying to blame the tow company for the bent/broken shocks. Problem with that is that it wasn't noted till after Cummins had dyno tested and driven the rig.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had CoachNet for three years; three calls, including two tows. Excellent professionalism and results, no complaints.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #8
We have Good Sam, needed them only once, and was very satisfied with their service.
Retired. RVing with one husband and five cats.
1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind Class-A. Ford V10.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #9
Have AAA for about 20 years now. Our previous RV 37 ft got towed about 6 times. Once about 300 miles on the Alaska highway. Another time about 250 miles. Even tough they have limited mileage for towing an RV, each time they never charged a penny. They are also well connected with approved repair shops. If you have a problem with their approved repair shop, they will meet with you and the repair shop and help. Had to use this service once and saved over $10K as the repair shop tried to rip me off.
fishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:33 PM   #10
We dropped AAA after they left us on the side of I-15 just north of Stateline, NV while they could not decide if we were in the Southern California or Northern California/ Nevada service area! They even argued with the California Highway Patrol that we did not have RV tow coverage while their officer looked at our RV-endorsed AAA card. No more AAA tow coverage for them but I keep my 52 year membership for maps and tour books.
Fred & Mary RVM135
2012 Dutch Star 3735 ISL 400
2012 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 4x4
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:02 PM   #11
If you have AAA RV coverage you also get unlimited Woodalls Camping Directories. It takes about a half-dozen directories to cover all of the United States and Canada.
The maps and tour guides are an added bonus along with their trip routing services.

Happy Camping.
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:54 PM   #12
Thor Owners Club
We have Good Sam which we used for our car which had broken down. Worked well. Although haven't had to use it for our 5er yet.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:03 AM   #13
Thanks to all , will probably try good sam since as a new member i can get it for 69 dollars and it compares pretty close to coachnet at 139 dollars .
earlbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:13 AM   #14
Earlbear... if you tow a trailer, consider the GS Platinum plus plan instead of the standard (where only RV trailers and boat trailers are covered). Also, keep in mind they tow to a repair shop of their choosing unless you have Plat.+ where you can pick the destination if within 100 miles.

07 Newmar VTDP 3330
02 Kaw Vulcan Nomad 1500
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote