Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 07:50 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
AARP has two levels of RV coverage. The base level only pays to tow 100 miles. I believe even the best only goes to 200 miles and does not garrenty tow to a approved service center. By that I mean, if it's 240 miles you owe the other 40 miles expense. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Before I take off later this year I'm going to pick up Coach Net.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is my experience with AAA. I have been with AAA for 40 years and will continue to be a AAA customer but not for my RV. AAA is good for passenger cars, discounts, maps and most of all if you live in California they will allow you to bypass the horrible DMV for registration services.

Lost a bead on one of my inside rear tires AAA sent out two guys with no experience with 19.5" tire and no air compressor. Lucky I was at home and had a air compressor and other tools to help them out. After that experience dropped the RV Plus from my coverage.

Lost my clutch on my Jeep while 20 miles outside Redding CA, I transferred many time because I was from Southern California and had to transfer me to N. California service center. Wanted to know what city I was in, I wasn't in a city. Told them what Highway I was on and intersection in Shasta County and they still could not figure out where I was. Took 3 hours to get a tow truck.

Needed towing for my Yukon 2 miles from home to nearest service facility which was only 11 miles and they only cover half of that my insurance coverage payed the rest.

From my first had experience with AAA and AAA Plus I would not recommend them for RV towing, I would go with Coach-Net as my first choice and Good Sam's as a second choice. Based on what I have read on this and other forums they both have the experience to deal with the unique needs of a RV.

As a side note, bought a new tire for my Jeep from Tire Rack. In NC where I live, AAA has service centers that do tires and light maintenance on cars. Went to the AAA service center to get the tire mounted on a stock factory rim and they did not have the right tools to set the bead on the rim.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We were AAA members for years. IMHO, they provide good service for passenger cars, but obviously there are some issues with big MHs. For that reason I use Good Sam (or Coachnet), companies who are oriented toward and able to take care of our big rigs.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe that you can let the dispatchers know that you have a 'big rig' and they need to send the 'appropriate' help...obviously a little tow truck aint moving a big motor home...I think (at least in my region) that it's a good deal and that I am hopefully taken care of if ever needed...like a tow...or tire service!! Appreciate all the feedback of course!!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:08 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstpoet View Post
I believe that you can let the dispatchers know that you have a 'big rig' and they need to send the 'appropriate' help...obviously a little tow truck aint moving a big motor home...I think (at least in my region) that it's a good deal and that I am hopefully taken care of if ever needed...like a tow...or tire service!! Appreciate all the feedback of course!!
Ya, good luck with that. I always described exactly what rig I had to AAA, but they just didn't get it. (Funny how you tried to roll that blame back on us rather than AAA - most of us weren't born yesterday)

After I dumped AAA and went with GS, I was very careful to describe what I had and told her the weight and length, and she laughed and said as soon as she heard MH it went to heavy wrecker status. What is even cooler - is she gave me three options when I described the problem (tire fragment on road broke coolant hose on exhaust filter); It was a minor part and she would try to get a mobile tech that could maybe fix it there, she could tow it to a safe place or to my home and wait until Monday for a mobile tech, or I could tow to the Freightliner shop. She even called Wallmarts to ask if it would be OK to tow it there (Denver is a no-no on Wallmarts) and then she called shopping centers. To me, she did 10 times more to get us going than AAA RV+ could even think of doing.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:42 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
AARP has two levels of RV coverage. The base level only pays to tow 100 miles. I believe even the best only goes to 200 miles and does not garrenty tow to a approved service center. By that I mean, if it's 240 miles you owe the other 40 miles expense. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Before I take off later this year I'm going to pick up Coach Net.
I had AAA RV Plus years ago and ran into to this situation. I broke down in Biggs Junction, OR. The nearest qualified repair facility was 136 miles away in Bend, OR. The towing charge was $4.50 per mile of which AAA only covered 100 miles, or $450. I had to pay the balance of $162.

I then found out that Coach Net will tow to the nearest qualified repair facility at no charge regardless of the distance. I made the switch to Coach Net.

A friend of mine broke down and needed to be towed. He had both AAA RV Plus and Coach Net (received a free year with purchase of coach). He wanted to be moved only on a low boy trailer. He called AAA and was told they would only arrange for a regular RV capable tow truck. He then called Coach Net who agreed to arrange for a low boy, but it would probably take longer to get one on site, which wound up taking 2 hours. He was safely parked and would have been happy even if it took substantially longer.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:13 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Ya, good luck with that. I always described exactly what rig I had to AAA, but they just didn't get it. (Funny how you tried to roll that blame back on us rather than AAA - most of us weren't born yesterday
Just having a 'fun' discussion here - not trying to 'roll blame' to anyone
Old 09-19-2016, 05:14 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I had AAA RV Plus years ago and ran into to this situation. I broke down in Biggs Junction, OR. The nearest qualified repair facility was 136 miles away in Bend, OR. The towing charge was $4.50 per mile of which AAA only covered 100 miles, or $450. I had to pay the balance of $162.

I then found out that Coach Net will tow to the nearest qualified repair facility at no charge regardless of the distance. I made the switch to Coach Net.

A friend of mine broke down and needed to be towed. He had both AAA RV Plus and Coach Net (received a free year with purchase of coach). He wanted to be moved only on a low boy trailer. He called AAA and was told they would only arrange for a regular RV capable tow truck. He then called Coach Net who agreed to arrange for a low boy, but it would probably take longer to get one on site, which wound up taking 2 hours. He was safely parked and would have been happy even if it took substantially longer.
What is the annual fee of Coach Net?
Old 09-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstpoet View Post
What is the annual fee of Coach Net?
$79 to $129 depending on the plan you take. I use the $79.00 plan has served me well twice now.

One flat tire, fixed at the rest area and towed once. Both were no cost out of pocket.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #24

AAA is the worst road side service you can have. I had it for many years and I found out the wrong way how bad this towing insurance is.

My daughter had the same experience with AAA. She was towing a travel trailer on highway 95 between Boulder and Laughlin, Nev. The transmission blew a rear seal on her truck. Called triple A and they showed up, but would only take her truck into Vegas. They would not pull the travel trailer. So daughter called another tow truck to tow the trailer in because she would not leave her trailer on the side of the road with all her belongings. It cost her $500.00 to tow the trailer back to Las Vegas about 40 miles. Since then she has also changed to Coach Net. We both have Coach Net now and we love it.

RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote