Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
AAA RV Insurance Quote

I currently have my RV insured by Progressive. Their rates aren’t the lowest, but I have purchase price coverage, which would pay full purchase price in the event of a total loss. I am paying $1320 a year for coverage on a seven year old RV.

My auto policy is up for renewal, so I contacted several companies to compare rates. AAA gave me a quote for my auto and RV combined. Their RV coverage alone was $632 a year, $688 a year less than the extensive coverage that I have with Progressive. The main difference that I can see, is the purchase price coverage vs. actual cash value, which of course would be much less. I have to decide for myself if it’s worth paying more than twice as much for that peace of mind. Progressive’s premiums increase by almost $100 every year, so there are future premium increases to consider as well.

Before I make my decision, I wanted to see how many other member’s have their RV’s insured with AAA. I’ve read the slogan, “Your RV isn’t a car, so don’t insure it like one”, so I’m wondering if AAA is the right insurer for an RV.

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Craig.....My story is the same as yours. I started out with Progressive because in 05, AAA didn't cover motor homes. After 4 years of price increases and a huge increase in the fifth year, I told Progressive they could take Flo and shove it.

I checked with AAA and they were also about $700.00 vs $1500.00 that Progressive wanted. The AAA price remains competitive, but I found they charge me by mileage. They check how many miles you drove the previous year and either keep you the same or increase if your mileage increased. So far they're still reasonable.

I originally thought the replacement coverage was a big deal, but the odds of needed it are way down and I'm sure they would find some exception. I did however insure my Monaco for what I owed vs what it was worth. I owed about 10K-15K more than it was worth.

We sold the Monaco and bought a new Dutch Star. I'll get my new computed yearly bill in another two months. As of now they charged me an additional $300.00 for the new coach.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
We have ours insured with AAA. Only claim was for a windshield replacement after our Alaska trip. Excellent service, the adjuster contacted me by email just minutes after I made the telephone claim.
They have us in a 10k-12.5k mileage category, this is 2,500 miles more than last year and the rate went from $624 to $578, not counting the policyholder savings dividend that is given on renewal.
07 Newmar VTDP 3330
02 Kaw Vulcan Nomad 1500
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We went with Blue Sky insurance after telling Progressive to take the "golden walk". They had raised our rate from $600 to 1300 in (5) years and that was with 0 claims. Blue Sky costs us $575 yearly and raised rates by $10 per month this year.
RV Insurance | Motorhome Insurance | Blue Sky RV Insurance
04 Newmar DSDP 4015-Cummins ISL 370hp-Spartan MM Chassis-2013 Chev Equinox AWD Towed-Ready Brute Elite Towing System-FMCA 402879-SKP 120487
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
How about checking with RV specific policies? We have National General which we originally purchased through FMCA. Good Sam has an RV policy, and I know there are others. RV's depreciate in book value in a steep curve. Take a look at the NADA for your RV vs what you think it is worth or what you might need to replace the rig. If the NADA value is low, and if you have a "small accident" repair costs could easily total the rig and your insurance payout would not even come close to your needs.
Just some things to think about when pricing out a policy.
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #6
We have all of our cars (4), motorcycles (2), boat, motorhome and house with AAA. Guess we are satisfied with service and price.

Oh, my membership card says member for 65 years......folks started with AAA when we moved to California, when I was 4. Always kind of fun when talking to a representative.

I did a pretty extensive search around ten years ago and AAA was lower than most. Have not looked recently.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
You better check
Pilatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I have been wrestling with insurance for the past few weeks. We have our auto, home and umbrella insurance with USAA and as you know USAA does not write RV insurance. I have contacted 9 different companies (State Farm, Geico, Safeco, Blue Sky, Foremost, FMCA/National General Insurance, AAA/Progessive, National Interstate Insurance, plus a local Progressive office). I skipped Nationwide/Allied as I am not a fan. Because of the umbrella policy we must carry liability coverages of 300k/500k or what is called combined single limit of 500k. All other coverages were the same and of the quotes we considered, all had total loss replacement coverage. We decided to go with our local Progressive office whose premium was the lowest at a cost of approximately $1,500/year. Progressive also offered a vanishing deductible. If the price goes up over time we will reevaluate the decision.
donnariley53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
Blue Sky here thay beat everyone on a replacement value policy
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I received quotes from Blue Sky and Good Sam (National General) as well. Blue Sky was close at $675 a year and National General high at $1405 a year.

As I said, at this point I'm inquiring as to how many RV owners out there have their RV's insured by AAA, and if they're happy with them. Not all insurance companies understand RV's so this is a concern for me.

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting thread, last year I shopped AAA and the agent admitted they could not beat the National General Quote on the motorhome, but were competitive on the cars. Will check again.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #12
Freightliner Owners Club
For the past 4 years I've used AAA for home, umbrella, auto and RV. No complaints except you must buy at lease the lowest AAA membership for towing etc. Since I use Coach Net for unlimited towing for RV and autos the AAA membership is useless. The price of coverage was the lowest when I compared 4 years ago. I have never had a claim so I don't know the claim process.
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have all of my insurance with AAA EXCEPT the MH. I have full replacement coverage with GMAC so I asked AAA for a quote for that amount. They gave me the quote (higher than GMAC) and I asked about a total loss claim. The agent told me they would charge me for the "stated value" but would only pay the actual value at the time of total loss.

I asked why would I pay for stated value and only receive actual value? My 60 Corvette is insured with AAA for stated value and I have been assured that is what they would pay for a total loss. The agent I worked with didn't have an answer about the MH and may have been wrong but I chose to stay with GMAC.

Just one mans experience.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just make sure the policy specifically addresses RVs and includes coverages for thing s like attached accessories (e.g. awnings and antenna), interior electronic and entertainment systems (your tv, DVD, etc), provides liability for people in and around your vehicle (somebody bumps head on the awning arm) and things like that. An automotive-type policy will typically exclude as those things, in writing. Ask the agent for a copy of the policy to review. Or ask specific questions, like "am I covered if a windstorm tears off my awning while parked?" or "what if my tv is stolen?".

It's pretty much impossible to compare insurance rates for two different RVs and people - there are far too many variables to make it meaningful. Each of us has to do their own shopping, and make sure that the quotes we receive are for identical coverage.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote