Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #15

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
chasfm11...... I would say your experience with CoachNet was very typical. I've been with them for a year, have had occasion to call them twice, including a 45 mile tow, and their performance was smooth, efficient, professional, timely, and flawless. I have recommended them to others unequivocally, and will continue to do so.

I have no experience with AAA.
This thread is confirming my original decision to use Coachnet. I've had very good experiences with AAA but none of the recently. It was more than 5 years ago that I had to have a car towed out of my driveway for a transmission problem. Before that, I had a van breakdown in Tyler, TX and AAA was very prompt and took us to a shop where the work was done quickly and reasonably, just like they did this time after a tow truck was finally sent.

Every day, it is a different world. Not all service companies that were good remains so. As the investment company disclaimer says "past performance......" The failure of the tow experience is not what is driving me away from AAA, it is their handling of my complaint.

chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Coach Net concluded that it was a bad battery. Then added: "If I send a battery truck and it's something else you'll have to pay for the tow". .
Charles- This is why I also have 2 options for road service. Good Sam also provides battery, mechanic, tow,etc..And also it appears to be either/or. If the mechanic or collateral damage from the blow out, etc, still leaves you inoperative, the tow is not covered.
USAA has towing coverage for $12 annually. Basically covers tire, battery, fuel and towing. It is now set up to re-pay your expenses after you make the arrangements and pay up front. (USAA originally had a towing rider with call center and contract providers)
I don't know if Coachnet's technical support falls under the either/or policy but that could be a concern if you used that option...

Glad your vehicle problems were resolved, and a lot of good folks pitched in to help....

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #17

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Charles- This is why I also have 2 options for road service. Good Sam also provides battery, mechanic, tow,etc..And also it appears to be either/or. If the mechanic or collateral damage from the blow out, etc, still leaves you inoperative, the tow is not covered.
USAA has towing coverage for $12 annually. Basically covers tire, battery, fuel and towing. It is now set up to re-pay your expenses after you make the arrangements and pay up front. (USAA originally had a towing rider with call center and contract providers)
I don't know if Coachnet's technical support falls under the either/or policy but that could be a concern if you used that option...

Glad your vehicle problems were resolved, and a lot of good folks pitched in to help....
Thanks, Holligan. I kept AAA because I did want to have a 2nd option.
With the availability of Freightliner Tech support, I'd always call them first. They offer 24 hour assistance and I believe that they would be closer to being able to give me specific technical advice for my chassis than anyone else.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #18

It's my understanding AAA is set-up in regions, each with its own rules and operating procedures, and they are not all the same. Some regions will cover a problem, some will not. I'll stay with Good Sam ERS for another 17 years if I live that long.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update:

I have not heard again from AAA. I'm not surprised. I never expected a member of their management team to call me so I'm not disappointed.

AAA's regional organizations might work well for others. That system did not work for me. As the other poster pointed out, the actual covered conditions may vary by region. Since I cannot predict where I might need coverage, that is a variance that I'm not willing to accept.

I do not plan on renewing my AAA membership. They have done many things over the past 5 years to devalue that membership but I stuck with them based on my past good experiences. with them

Like other services companies, AAA sells trust. IMHO, when they violate that trust, they no longer have anything worth buying. This isn't about their failure during the tow but in their unwillingness to address the problems that caused that failure.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
AAA left me stranded for 2 hours on I-10 before they finally told me that they did not dispatch diesel fuel and had no recommendations on where I could get any.
Worse was when they left my wife and daughter stranded on a deserted county road at night with a flat tire when the operator refused to dispatch a call without a street address and actually got abusive when my wife insisted that there wasn't a house within ten miles, fortunately a friend came by.
I made two calls to AAA and one letter and never got any response, cancelled immediately.
Coach-Net has responded quickly and effieciently the four times we have used it. Twice for cars issues, twice for the coach and one of those occasions they actually found me a truck shop that could get me in that day rather than the ten days Cummins told me it would be.

Anything that comes in the mail from AAA goes straight in the garbage.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Somehow, I'm not surprised to find others with similar experiences. The Devil's Tower KOA does have a street address and I provided it. But the "rock" sticks up and is visible for many miles in all directions and the KOA is the only campground for a long way. Sometimes, it is not a perfect world that we all have to deal with and AAA demanding that their customers make it into one just for them is a good reason not to do business with them. AAA demands a phone number and you would think that a tow driver unable to find the exact location would use it.

But what do I know? I'm just the poor slob who needs the tow that I've paid for and not used for the last 10 years.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #22

Thanks Chasfm11 for all that info. I'll stick with my GS format for now. All is well for the years I have had it. RV and cars covered no matter where. I have had car and RV towed away at different times, no problems encountered. Certainly no dispatch problems like in AAA. I've heard enough about AAA to avoid them. Soon as that happens to me with GS I'll ditch them for sure. So far, all is good as has been for years with them.