Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
AAA vs Good Sam vs Coach-Net 2015

Hello All,

After experiencing my first on the road breakdown (auto brake locked up) and wasting three hours and $ 100.00 getting back on the road, I think I need to sign up for a roadside assistance program. I've searched the web and most of the posts are a couple of years old.

I was wondering what assistance program is the one to get these days. Keeping in mind that I have a small class A motor home and I don't tow a vehicle, which program and level of program is the best to sign up for.

As usual, I appreciate the time you all take to read this and offer your opinions. You have all been a great help to me thus far.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:07 AM   #2

I haven't had to use any roadside assistance, but I have it covered two ways, I bought the Good Sam roadside service, I think it was $99 for a year, and then as a backup I have the AAA RV Plan, which is only $37 extra a year in addition to having the Premier AAA regular package.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
I haven't had to use any roadside assistance, but I have it covered two ways, I bought the Good Sam roadside service, I think it was $99 for a year, and then as a backup I have the AAA RV Plan, which is only $37 extra a year in addition to having the Premier AAA regular package.
I have both the same plans as you and I think I am covered if ever I need them!

P.S. AAA RV Plan also covers my Harley!!
Old 06-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We had Coach Net the first year and needed help with the slide. We were quoted a price, but the men that came out doubled that price. We contacted Coach Net, but even tho they agreed with us, they did nothing to help us. We now have Good Sam's and I hope they help us if we ever need them.
Brenda
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:26 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I would be leary having two roadside assistance plans, one will have to be the primary, and somewhere along the way there will be a "Whose is going to cover this" moment. We have stuck with CoachNet as they are geared to RV's, AAA autos. Even though it was a lock-out on our toad, AAA couldn't find a locksmith in Grand Junction CO, we resolved the situation a hour later, prior to AAA service.

We experienced a slow tire leak a few years ago, CoachNet made it very clear the actual tire repair would be at our expense, less than $25.00.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
AAA vs Good Sam vs Coach-Net

We have Progressive Insurance on the coach and for $17 more per year, we now have roadside assistance through them. Also have had Good Sam for several years, but am thinking of not renewing it, since we have never used it. That may sound naive to some, but I can't see the need for two plans, just as I would also not pay to have two insurance policies on the vehicle.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Roadside Assistance is like life insurance, hope you don't need it. Our previous coach had a engine wiring problem and towed 5 times, $700.00 each time, don't know how many of us could just shrug that off.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #8

I have used the Good Sam Road Side assistance several times. Both for our private vehicles and the RV (usually tire related). What I liked about the Good Sam is their phone APP. I touch their ICON and it connects me with their operator with my GPS location which is displayed on their screen. They know where I am even if I don't. It's all automatic! They keep me informed on the tow company, where they are coming from, and frequent call back checking on my condition. I have no complaints.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Read the fine print on the AAA RV Roadside Assistance, an talk in person with a AAA rep. There are some things AA will not cover, and some areas where coverage isn't available.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:01 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Don't forget to look at your RV insurance policy.

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:09 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's what I was saying. I asked Progressive if they offered roadside assistance for my rv, under my policy, and now have it for $17 annually.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #12

I have progressive through USAA, however you need to be very careful as they limit the number of miles toad, and if you were in the middle of nowhere you're going to have a very big bill. I went with coach net, because I heard Good Sam lowballs the tow companies and often times can't get anyone to work for the rate. good luck with your decision
Old 06-02-2015, 08:40 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Read the fine print on the AAA RV Roadside Assistance, an talk in person with a AAA rep. There are some things AA will not cover, and some areas where coverage isn't available.
I agree. A AAA dispatcher told me off the record that RV coverage is not nationwide. I've since read same in AAA literature. They will reimburse you (to a limit) where they don't have service, but it's up to you to find service.

I've used GS Road Service with no real issues. But a few years back, I had truck problems under warranty, and the manufacturer used Coach-Net for their road service. I was impressed enough that I switched to Coach-Net for myself. Coach-Net also offers a medical evacuation service at no extra cost in their service. GS charges extra for a similar service.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #14

Here is an issue I discovered in most all plans. Generally they will only tow you to the nearest approved facility. When a breakdown occurs on the road, this may be acceptable but what happens when your RV or car breaks down close to home? If your preferred shop is further away from you than their preferred shop, guess who pays the difference to get your vehicle where you want it to go?

AAA offers a plan that allows you to have your vehicle towed (within a mileage limit) to anywhere but they also have the limitations others have mentioned. I didn't see on Coachnet's website a plan that allows you to choose where your vehicle is towed. I finally went with Good Sam Platinum which does allow for towing up to 100 miles wherever I want. Of course it costs more than their basic plan.