Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
? about fulltimers

My DW asked me today if I had any thoughts about what type of RV unit most full timers used. Are you in Motor Homes? 5th Wheels, or ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'd say it's a toss up between motorhomes and 5W.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you want to snow bird (North in the summer, south in the winter) then a 5th wheel or gas Type A MH make sense. If you want to travel, as we planned to do, then a diesel pusher makes sense.
But there are some nice 5th wheels out there too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Just my perception from reading thousands of posts on this forum... but it seems to me that more might be driving coaches than fivers for FT. We have a coach but if we were only moving seasonally, I do think the attractive floor plans available in fivers would win us over.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

The day we decided that we wanted to full-time it we went looking for a diesel pusher. Two reasons, size, and wife won't drive truck and trailer combo for some reason.

If you want the room and extreme storage space then go Class A
Both US Army Retired - Fort Lewis, WA
Cilrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #6

I've met a few TT full timers, but as a percentage they are a small minority. The room in a 5er is hard to beat, the convenience of motorhome setup is hard to beat, so pick one your spouse likes. Neither one is like driving your Chevy Volt to Camping World & back (then plugging it in for 14 hours to recharge so it can go another 25 miles round trip) so there will be an adjustment for the driver(s) who now need to know how to pilot the house around the country.

The real big adjustment seems to be what to take along. First one of our friends to go full time had the basement wedged so full, that anything you took out squeaked because it rubbed against other stuff as you pulled, and then it expanded a bit once it was free. Most folks take waaaaay too much stuff starting out.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
You'll see many of both kinds, but generally I think that those that snowbird will choose a Fiver, whereas those that travel a bit more will choose a MoHo.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #8

I'm in a tt and as soon as we can save the money 5th here we come. but if you can a great truck 7.3L ford and a 5th. is the way to go.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks like the best way to get that question answered would be to set up a poll: anybody know how?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:22 AM   #10

From the people we've met camping and snow birding, who fulltime, they're either in MHs or 5th wheels. But, oddly enough, down in FL where we spent most of this past winter, there were old people living in all size TTs at the Resorts and CGs. They seldom moved their TTs. Some had added porches or even screen rooms. One old gent was living in an older TT no larger than 15', no slides and with a dog no less.

After spending 3 months in our 28' TT with one slide, I wouldn't want to live in it fulltime. It was getting a little claustrophobic toward the end even though I love the layout. We did have a large screenroom we would spend time in with the cats, and a First-Up with the wind screen sides for outdoor cooking and storage space - but we learned not all Resorts and CGs allow those on the sites.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #11

All becomes a personal preference. With a MH you have upkeep and maintance on two vehicles, the MH and Toad. If you go with a big 5er you'll need a 1 ton dually to travel safely. At the Resort we've been at since mid Nov it's a mix of 5ers and MHs with a few Cs and TTs mixed in. With all the new features in 5ers, auto level jacks, auto sat dishes, etc, a 5er is becoming as easy to setup as a MH. So you need to look at what will work for you and yours. BTW we're not officially Full Timers, I say we're 3/4 timers. 6 Months South for the Winter and 3 months on the road during the Summer months.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We are working in a campground at the stopping point for snowbirds going and coming. I see an equal mix of 5th wheels and MHs. But all snowbirds don't necessarily full time. I think alot of people start out fulltiming in what they have at that time, in our case a Class C, and then realize a MH is a better option.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dre View Post
Looks like the best way to get that question answered would be to set up a poll: anybody know how?
When you start a new thread scroll down and you will see "options"
at the bottom of options there is a check box for "add a poll"
It will have a default setting of 4 next to it, but you can change that number for how ever many poll options you want.
When you select "submit new thread" it will take you to the poll options page first. There you can set up the poll questions. then select "submit poll"

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #14

This question is like asking "how high is up?" There is no real answer, if you like driving a crewcab dually to dinner then you will like a 5er better. There is nothing wrong with either one. I prefer a MH for many reasons.