Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #1

About to purchase my first TT.

Newbie here. Seems like a pretty nice site. Hopefully its active. Anyhow i'm getting ready to purchase my first bumper pull trailer. I Accepted a job offer for a Fire dept about 3.5 hrs away. With the distance between my current home and the job i figured getting a home away from home was a good idea.

I have spent the better part of this week browsing different dealers websites and visiting several others in person. Most of those visits were waste of time. The salesperson would only show me 2-3 units on the lot.

I'm kind of open on what i want but i'm limited by my budget of $24k. Originally i wanted a trailer with 2 doors and a segmented floor plan. The idea with that was to prevent my cat from making a run for it if i was bring in supplies and so forth. I did find a few meeting my requirements but nothing was perfect.

That was until i stumbled on 3 different toy haulers. 1.Forest river cherokee 27rr. 2. Coleman RV Lantern - 300TQ . 3rd. Heartland PIONEER RG28.
All 3 meet what i'm looking for. However the FR 27RR is very rare imo with only 2 up at Fun town in Dallas. The other 2 are available in my area. Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated. I'm going to go look at the other two in person tomorrow. Thanks.
Tex8492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 06:51 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Sorry I can't help with the question but someone will be a long I am sure with some advice for you
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:23 PM   #3

Don't let the cat determine your floorplan. Just be smarter than the cat. Put it in the bedroom, bathroom, or a kennel while going in and out bring stuff in.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Welcome to iRV2. Congrats on your soon TT purchase.

The last think I'd do is let the furball decide what I chose. They don't have a say. Pick the floorplan you like best since you'll be living it in a lot.

If you're going to be living it in year 'round, depending on where you are, be sure it's one that's well insulated & has large holding tanks so you don't have to dump often.

I assume you either have a truck to tow it to where you're going to keep it or will hire it delivered?

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post

Don't let the cat determine your floorplan. Just be smarter than the cat. Put it in the bedroom, bathroom, or a kennel while going in and out bring stuff in.
Thanks for the welcome. i'm also looking a for a place to put a desktop computer and monitor in. A lot of the trailers i have looked at require me to remove a chair or sofa to make room for a desk. Not the end of the world that i have to do that but if i'm spending $19k and have to remove something why not spend $21k for added floor space. Unless i'm overthinking this. I do alot of work and online classes so having the space is a must have.

The other things on the wish list are TV location, Bunk space for guests,Decent Cooktop/oven and of course a good bathroom.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:12 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Whatever you decide don't let the salesman tell you what you truck can safely tow. They will always say things like you tow from unladen weight and no one pulls with their tanks full ..... base your choice on the GVWR of the camper. The tow vehicle manufacturers also fool you by giving you unrealistic tow capacity numbers that cannot be achieved without overloading the vehicle payload capacity. Study up so you can tow it comfortably and safely.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:58 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I don't know anything about TT's so can't help on your decision.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex8492 View Post
Newbie here. Seems like a pretty nice site. Hopefully its active. Anyhow i'm getting ready to purchase my first bumper pull trailer. I Accepted a job offer for a Fire dept about 3.5 hrs away. With the distance between my current home and the job i figured getting a home away from home was a good idea.

I have spent the better part of this week browsing different dealers websites and visiting several others in person. Most of those visits were waste of time. The salesperson would only show me 2-3 units on the lot.

I'm kind of open on what i want but i'm limited by my budget of $24k. Originally i wanted a trailer with 2 doors and a segmented floor plan. The idea with that was to prevent my cat from making a run for it if i was bring in supplies and so forth. I did find a few meeting my requirements but nothing was perfect.

That was until i stumbled on 3 different toy haulers. 1.Forest river cherokee 27rr. 2. Coleman RV Lantern - 300TQ . 3rd. Heartland PIONEER RG28.
All 3 meet what i'm looking for. However the FR 27RR is very rare imo with only 2 up at Fun town in Dallas. The other 2 are available in my area. Any thoughts/advice are greatly appreciated. I'm going to go look at the other two in person tomorrow. Thanks.
First "Slow Down" don't get your self into thinking I gotta get something now. If you have to stay in a motel at the new job for a month or so, it won't hurt. $24,000 will buy a lot of slightly used "ONE" owner trailers out there. My advice take your time, stop looking at RV lot's and start reading adds. Every rig I have ever bought was on line from the original owners. If you don't have enough expertise to read adds, understand things, no what to ask, what to look for then find a friend who does. All I'm saying is if you allow yourself to accept a slightly used "one owner" rig and are willing to wait a little longer I think you will be glad you did. Just my 2 cents. Good luck
One more thing, ask people at the new job for advice.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2 family

Quote:
1.Forest river cherokee 27rr. 2. Coleman RV Lantern - 300TQ . 3rd. Heartland PIONEER RG28.
In my personal opinion all 3 are "cheaper" trailers...With cheap you get cheap. Are you stuck on the toy hauler? With a friend, who is also in the toy hauler market, I have seen all 3. Especially with the Coleman, it had issues....

I'll assume you will be living in it during the Texas summers. Not only would a better insulated RV trailer help in the winter, but also cooling in the summer months.

Maybe look for a higher quality used unit.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 08:49 PM   #10

Went to another dealer lot today and found one i really liked. They had 2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3008. One owner. Very clean unit. No damage. Nothing missing. I managed to get them down to $18k OTD. That includes TTL. The dealer is going to go through a inspection and replace/repair/Clean the unit. They are also going to to fix the slide seals that are showing a little wear. At 7k pounds its a hefty unit so i'm going to have to borrow a friends truck and or rent one. Not a big deal.

Tags
purchase