Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #1

Absolute Craziness!!! battery/amp management doesn't matter to everyone

I posted a question about 12 volt televisions, and the bulk of the answers were to just get an inverter to run a 120v unit...

but THIS post isnt really about any TV, but more of an educational about power usage. it pertains to any component that consumes power from our batteries...

for those that always park where they can plug into shore power or like to listen to the generator run a lot of the time, this post isnt for you, but for those that use inverters and would like to find a way to get more from their batteries, take a hint from this post and do some research on the facts it contains.

This is an RV site, so one would think that more people here would know that using a power inverter to switch 12vdc power to 120vac is counterproductive when there are so many units that can use the 12vdc without inverting it first.... yes, an inverter gets the job done, but at more expense than the other option..
THEN, take into account that MOST of the 120vac television sets are like a computer in that they only use a few watts of 9 to 12 volt DC power to operate... and so they have a built in converter to convert the 120vac household power to 12vdc power to run it.

(for almost any 120vac component used in an rv, there is a high quality 12vdc equivalent made... and I will agree that the cost doesnt always make sense, but on those items we use for a few hours at a time, it does!)

so why would someone who has a choice, want to take 12vdc and invert it to 120vac, to feed a unit that is going to convert it back to 12vdc to operate it?... this uses almost twice as much power as going direct to a 12vdc unit with 12vdc power.

furthermore, as most tv's are operating on 12vdc AFTER they convert the wall power, why would a quality 12volt ready made unit be less dependable?, as has been stated....

boaters seem to be much more aware of their power consumption and needs, and rightly so as its much harder to get a jump start in a boat when enjoying the peace and solitude of some remote location...
there are quite a few cruising boaters who have taken a 120v tv, removed the power converter from inside it and use it direct in their 12vdc system.. but I dont want another project when for nearly the same price I can buy a plug and play unit.

not that I have lots of money, but there have been many times over the years when in my rv or boat that my money level at the moment greatly exceeded my battery amp level...and yet there was no way to convert one into the other when I needed it the most.
so now, even though I have great charging systems in my RV and boat to draw from, Ive learned that I can either spend the money on gas to charge the system back up while listening to the noise, OR, I can spend to money on components that conserve the most amount of power while using them, so that re-charging the batts is at a minimum... AND that batteries last MUCH longer if they dont get discharged too low, too often..

I thank you all for trying to help, and especially those who like myself, know the benefits of using a 12v component in a 12v power system.

and for anyone who has any desire to conserve battery power while enjoying the use of their modern contrivances away from shore power, they should look for ways to minimize the use of an inverter while doing it...
tigerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2017, 10:30 AM   #2

An inverter, yes, is about 85% efficient, and yes, that 15% is a waste of the energy in your batteries. I would suggest, as did the head of the FCC in the '50's, that TV is a wasteland and is not worth watching. Following that advice will save your batteries.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
An inverter, yes, is about 85% efficient, and yes, that 15% is a waste of the energy in your batteries. I would suggest, as did the head of the FCC in the '50's, that TV is a wasteland and is not worth watching. Following that advice will save your batteries.
For sure,,,

Old 11-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #4

You think that's bad,....my nephew suggested that I get a $1,000 smart phone. (to solve my photobucket problem)
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:28 AM   #5

Amazon has a few 12v Tvs available. Not big but on 12v
Old 11-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #6

tigerman,
Like your post, lot of logic in there. Still looking for a 12volt washer/dryer....hard to come by.
It is good that battery technology is coming along to help us at a more reasonable cost.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
That's the way I solved the TV power problem. Just don't turn it on.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:17 PM   #8

There are lots of people, like my self, fully aware of power usage in an RV. We simply have a different approach on how to best live within the limits of today's batteries.
For myself I don't mind running the generator for an hour in the morning and two at night. The convenience of having sufficient batteries to run "off the shelf" appliances far out ways the inconvenience of running 12 volt wiring and and finding speciality appliances.
It's just not a big deal.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #9

For all you people who don't "waste" your time watching tv, surely you have something better to do than spend time on the internet...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #10

I run a $500, residential fridge in my boat, so the inverter is always on. We moor out 5 to 6 months a year.

Call me crazy but I can buy a lot of batteries before I break even on a $2200., 12 volt fridge.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:44 PM   #11

[moderator edit] I don't see a problem. I have all the comforts of home, camp off the grid, love every minute camping.
VegasFoodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tigerman, As you've observed, one of the side effects of RVing, many get a rudimentary education in power generation and management.

Watts come at an expense, They are very expensive to generate, so its usually less expensive to conserve them rather then generate them.

One simple example, I replaced all the incandescent lamps in my Southwind with LEDs. This single item reduces my power usage by 80%. If you can run a TV directly on 12 volts, instead of upconverting 110Vac then downconverting back to 12 Vdc, this can reduce the power consumption for that item by as much as 50%..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
For all you people who don't "waste" your time watching tv, surely you have something better to do than spend time on the internet...
Not sure what one has to do with the other?
Old 11-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #14

I gave up a 12 volt T.V. about the same time I gave up Black & White T.V. Sorry but I haven't seen any 45" flat screen 12 volt TV'S, and no we don't go camping and sit for hours watching tv. But If we want to watch a movie or morning news with my coffee then I will. I remember tent camping and loving it, but not anymore So for you to get mad because you didn't like the responses, Well TOO BAD! For me and most RV'ERS I know golf cart batteries, solar and a very large inverter is the most sense. We boon-dock for over a month at a time and have all the comforts of home.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, abs