Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2012, 09:46 PM   #1

AC Air Filter Question

Has anybody used one of these? If so, are they any good? I was looking for something on top of my China cabinet and found one of these: AC-305 ELECTROSTATIC (WHITE)

Under replacement filters - about half way down - if it doesn't go there.

AC-Safe- Replacement Filters

They are sold at HD, Ace and Graingers, so maybe I picked one up for my 5er and never used it.
BTW, they are made in the USA.

Factory Plus Air Conditioner Filter-AC-305 at The Home Depot

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Has anybody used one of these? If so, are they any good? I was looking for something on top of my China cabinet and found one of these: AC-305 ELECTROSTATIC (WHITE)

Under replacement filters - about half way down - if it doesn't go there.

AC-Safe- Replacement Filters

They are sold at HD, Ace and Graingers, so maybe I picked one up for my 5er and never used it.
BTW, they are made in the USA.

Factory Plus Air Conditioner Filter-AC-305 at The Home Depot
I've had the same filter in our home central air/heat system since we bought the house 10 years ago. It works very well. The material it's made of creates some sort of static energy or electricity and attracts the dust particles versus just catching them through a fine woven material like paper or fiberglass. During the winter I usually just vacuum it. During the summer I'll hose if off after vacuuming. It's well more than paid for itself over disposable filters and does a better job in my opinion.

Kinda like a K&N air filter for a vehicle. A little more cost up front, but better filtering and lower cost over the long haul.

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #3

Thanks Wolf, good to know. I don't have enough to make two. I'm about 1/2" short width wise. The next time I'm at HD, I'll pick up another one. When I camp, I hardly ever run my AC, but do at home sometimes.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #4

Wolf, it's not going to be easy to use this filter as a replacement for the foam one in a standard RV AC grill. I've cut it to size, but there is not much surface area to use the double sided tape that came with it. I'm going to see what I have around here to make a frame to glue the filter material to. It's either that or tape it to the grill. NOT.

Any suggestions? How did you make it work for your home?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Wolf, it's not going to be easy to use this filter as a replacement for the foam one in a standard RV AC grill. I've cut it to size, but there is not much surface area to use the double sided tape that came with it. I'm going to see what I have around here to make a frame to glue the filter material to. It's either that or tape it to the grill. NOT.

Any suggestions? How did you make it work for your home?
Dunner, for the house, the filter 1st had to be cut to size. It came with a plastic frame. Similar in shape to the outer frame of a disposable filter. The frame was in 2 pieces, 1 sliding inside of the other. Once the piece was slid inside the other to the proper size it was secured with little snap in pins. I haven't gotten under bed to find my mh filter yet, so I don't know the set up. If the frame is held in place with screws though, wouldn't the filter stay in place just removing the grill, putting the filter in and screwing the grill back in place?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #6

The Dometic roof-top AC has a plastic grill, like below, that is held in place with two tabs. The stock filter is 1/4" foam that just lays on the grill and is snapped into a larger plastic frame. The new material is too thin to just use alone and seal good. This is the interior side of the grill. I don't know that the white thing is in the middle. I found some thin model airplane plywood that I'm building a frame with. It'll be fragile, but should work and gently cleaned.

Dometic 3104928.019 Ducted Quick Cool Brisk Air Grill Polar White Trailer Camper RV
Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #7

I use a carbon filter that is actually a pre filter for air filters. It is cut to size and I can get to filters out of one box

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Repl...m/B000EON2W0/2
Old 06-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Hey Dunner, I finally pulled my air filter today from under the bedroom bed. OH MY GOSH!!! It was so clogged it looked like a piece of cardboard. I had the ac running to load up the genny after I changed the oil and the volume of air from the ceiling ducts literally doubled. I think it had to be the original filter. I've never seen a filter so clogged. Thinking I'll go with a paper or fiberglass this go around for convenience, but the non disposable filter will go in at the end of the camping season.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #9

I wouldn't wish the filter I posted on an enemy. What a pain in the patuti. Maybe I over engineered it, but the material would not stay straight without using masking tape to hold it straight to cut it. I glued the thin plywood to the top and bottom and used the double sided tape on the sides. I made it so if it doesn't work or cuts down on the air flow, I can just put the original foam back in. Thx for checking.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The "electrostatic" filter panels do work fine. The air flow over the fiber media creates an electrostatic charge much like rubbing a ballon on your head. The charge attracts dust particles.

These filters can be washed with a mild dish washing detergent (one with no softners or skin conditioners). Rinse well and let dry before reinstalling.

The filters in an RV are relatively small and need to be cleaned after every 14 days of use.

Ken
Old 06-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #11

I'll give it a try. Thx Ken.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
I went and picked up a couple of disposables today for the mh. Being only 10" x 20" x 1" there weren't a lot to choose from.

They had an electrostatic filter in Home Depot, but it didn't look quite the same as the one in the house, that I believe is a "Web" brand. I've had that one in the home for 10 years and it works very well. If I come across another web brand I'll get it for the mh. It's around $20. The disposables were just shy of $5. The web would pay for itself in about 5 cleanings. I think the web and other cut to fit say they only get down to 14x20. I don't think it would be to difficult though, to cut the adjustable frame down a little so it would get to 10x20. I'd just have to add a couple of holes on the side for the little snap in plugs that lock the pieces of the frame together.

At least the ac is blowing nicely now without the old filter that looked like it was wearing an angora sweater.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #13

I'm gonna have to check out the "Web" brand for the home.

One time when I was out of disposable ones and really "needed" one, I used my shop vac to clean one. Worked pretty good. Looked like a week old instead of a month old.

Go ahead and try cutting one down. Sounds like it would work.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
I've done the shop vac thing a bunch of times. The air filter for the engine wasn't too bad. I cleaned it with water and and the shop vac. Put it in the oven on the keep food warm setting over night and it was good to go.

I compare the web filter for the house to a K&N for a car. Got one on our Tundra, and Lexus sedan. Similar on Harley, but it's Screaming Eagle. I swear by them. What's an automotive filter cost from a parts store? $8 to 15$, somewhere there about.

On my first Tundra I paid $40 for the K&N, cleaned it as it's designed to be about every 6-8 months. Had the truck for 8 years (96 months). Translates to about 12 filter changes over the time. Filters around $9 if I'd been buying them, or $108 over the time I had the truck. I paid $40 once. I don't use their oil filters, but their air filters pay for themself.

Maybe I should get out of selling floor mats, uniforms and hygiene products and go to work for those guys.