Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AC Ban At Fishermans Memorial RI Campground

It's a great place to stay but be aware there is a indefinite ban on running your AC until such a time as they can update their wiring. It's still full price, still packed, and still a great place to stay.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad to see that the temperatures are coming down for you. Hope it helps with the sleeping. Did you run your generator?

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I could not get in there as this was a spur of the moment trip so I'm up at Hanscom Field Ma I went to Fishemans yesterday to see if they had any cancellations which they did but I opted out because of the temperatures even thought they had started down yesterday.

My wife talked to a very vocal and upset person this morning at the office here about the situation, he left Fishemans 4am this morning and came here because of the brown outs and evidently frequent total electrical outages. He says he left his paid spot because he had to run his generator to have power.

I'm sure his review will be remembered by the several other people in the small office here.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 07-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #4

I was stationed at Hanscom Field in 1955/56. Is still an active base?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
It's a great place to stay but be aware there is a indefinite ban on running your AC until such a time as they can update their wiring. It's still full price, still packed, and still a great place to stay.
John, how can this still be a great place if they charging people for services they are not receiving? Sounds like a fraud rip off to me. It might be a great place if all is working as advertized, but not as you describe it.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think it's more National Guard I'd have to check this evening. They sure do have an awful lot of civilian light aircraft taking off during the week in the early AM hours and do have Security Police (APs) on the gates

Jim I generally use campgrounds as parking spots not a destination, there is no swimming pool, golf courses etc at any time so I saw no loss of use in that area. To me the lack of AC was a major point and I just wanted others to be aware of it then they could make their own choices. I chose not to stay there.

I also did not want it to appear to be a negative post.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 07-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
So their electrial infrastructure is inadequate but they still charge full price and the are still full. Wow.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
What are we missing?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fishermen's Memorial State Park and Campground History (1953)

One of Rhode Island’s most popular campgrounds began its park service following a dedication by Governor Frank Licht in 1970. Its purchase and parcel assembly was begun two decades earlier by Governor Dennis Roberts in 1953. The site was taken from a former World War II defense installation, known as Fort Greene, named after Rhode Island Revolutionary War hero, Nathanael Greene of Warwick. The name, Fishermen’s Memorial honors all the fishermen – commercial and sports—of the Narragansett area and, at the time, it singled out the Tuna tournament, based locally at the nearby port of Galilee. The tournament began in 1958, was popular through the 1960s and 1970s; it still continues today but in a much reduced form.
The history of the park’s location is both deeper and darker than its sports fishing association and recreational camping. Point Judith Neck is the farthest extension of the Rhode Island mainland into the Atlantic. Subject to rough storms, a dangerous ledge, and criss-crossing tides, a light house to guide sailors into Narragansett Bay was first erected in 1810. In colonial times, the peninsula was used by the local Narragansett Planters as a natural corral for their flocks of sheep, herds of cattle, and their famous Narragansett Pacers, a popular breed of riding horses. Simply by fencing off the northern neck, a gigantic, protected meadow was created.
Point Judith’s most important historical role, however, occurred in the war years of the 1940s. It anchored the western passage into Narragansett Bay while projecting the observation for potential enemies out into the Atlantic. Narragansett Bay was considered by naval strategists of the first half of the 20th century as the best safe haven and rallying point for war ships of any place from Cape Cod to Cape Hatteras, rivaled only by Hampton Roads, Virginia.
Viewed from the air and revealed by the study of area maps, clearly, the finger-like points of land and islands from Point Judith to Sakonnet Point guard the entrances into the Bay. During the war, these finger-like features took on the aspect of armored eagle talons. From Fort Greene at Point Judith to Fort Church in Little Compton, a series of coastal artillery emplacements guarded the water approaches to significant ship yards, torpedo and Quonset Hut factories, test firing ranges, ammunition storage dumps, materiel staging areas, destroyer and aircraft carrier berths, and the Newport Naval Station and War College. Offshore electric warning systems intercepted potential submarine attack. Mine fields were installed, and nets were strung across the Bay entrances.
Fort Greene, at Point Judith was divided into three distinct “reservations,” East, West, and South. In the East Reservation, known as Battery Hamilton, a two-gun battery featuring 16” guns was installed in the year between September of 1940 and September of 1941. The shells fired from these guns weighed over a ton each; they could reach a distance out to sea of 26 miles. Paired with a matched set in Little Compton the arcs covered by these batteries overlapped, making the surface approach by enemy ships towards Narragansett Bay highly problematical. These guns were housed in concrete bunkers and covered by earth and appeared from the outside and from above as low coastal hills.
Within the bunkers were radio rooms and ammunition storage. A second battery was begun at the West Reservation of Fort Greene, now Fishermen’s Memorial, but was never completed. What was completed was a command post in and observation silo to assist in directing fire. The silo, still standing, and used as a park headquarters, was designed to look like a farm complex. It is just one of the small number of surviving structures marking Rhode Island’s participation in World War II.

Fishermens Memorial State Park, RI

182 site(s) found
ALL (182) RV Only (40) Standard (107) Tent Only (35)
Campground

Fishermen's State Park and Campground offers campers a 'seaside village' atmosphere where visitors will find neatly trimmed grass, tree lined paths, and activities for the whole family. Whether you are looking for a place to pitch a tent and enjoy a camp fire, or park your R.V. and play some basketball or tennis, Fishermen's can accommodate you. One of Fishermen's most attractive features is its close proximity to popular State Beach areas like Scarborough, Roger Wheeler, and Salty Brine. The Park is also just 1 mile from the Block Island Ferry Dock and 15 minutes from scenic Newport. Farmers Market - May - October, Sundays 9 am to 1 pm. Contact Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, Division of Agriculture at 222-2781 or visit RI DEM/Program (Office & Division) Listing, Org Chart bnatres/agricult/markets.htm for more information. "Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints."
Services & Amenities:
Within Facility
Comfort Station
Dump Station
Dumpsters
Fire Rings
Historic Sites
Historical Areas/Struct.
Parking
Playground
Ranger Station
Telephone
Viewing Platform/Overlk
Greater Than 1 Mile
Art & Museum
Auto Touring/Scenic Rtes
Beachcombing
Boating
Churches
Clam Digging
Fishing
Lighthouse
Marina
Museum
Ocean/Beach Access
Restaurant
Shopping
Sunbathing
Swimming - Ocean
Alerts and Important Information
NO Person shall possess, drink, sell or offer for sale any alcoholic beverages in RI State Operated Campgrounds
The possession or use of all classes of fireworks are prohibited in RI State Operated Campgrounds

Sites equipped with electrical service are not adequate for RV air conditioning units during extreme heat. Please be aware that RV air conditioners may be restricted during these peak use times.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 07-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #10

There have been brownouts throughout the northeast due to the heat causing greater demands on electrical systems. You can't blame the campground for conditions that require adjustments to electrical use.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #11

Hey the Detroit Lions still charge full price and are usually sold out and look what they provide !
Old 07-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They installed a 100000kilo watt wind turbine to supply half the years 330000kilo watt Eletrical power needs.

DEM HOSTS RIBBON-CUTTING CEREMONY FOR NEW WIND TURBINE AT FISHERMEN'S MEMORIAL STATE PARK AND CAMPGROUND

It shows they are at least trying.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boweavel View Post
Hanscom AFB is a "non flying Air Force Base.
Hanscom Field is a civilian air field.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boweavel View Post
I was stationed there from 75 to 77 and it was still active. Most of the units there are/were electronic research (ESD Command) and work with MITRE. They turned the airfield over to the state. (Irritated the LT Gen at the time that his plane had to wait in line behind civilian aircraft.)

Jon

2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground