Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

Wink AC blowing foul air

I have a new (last October) Coachman camper and didn't start running my AC regularly until this spring. In the last couple days I've noticed that I have an odor when the AC is running. It is still cooling, but the odor, especially at night, is strong. I've ruled out the refrigerator and the gray and black water tanks as the source of the odor. I'm convinced it is my AC. Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #2

When we install new ACs, usually Dometic's, they kinda stink. I guess it's possible your ductwork smells too.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #3

I know - Thanks!

Also, I ran the AC many times during May and June but it was only a couple days ago that I started smelling the foul odor.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
something crawl into the ductwork maybe?
Old 07-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pull the cover (outside) the AC. Pull the cover below the AC (inside). Pull the sheetmetal cover over the evaporator coils. Clean with foam AC coil cleaner. Flush with water.
IF it still stinks, it's something in the vents. I'd put a shop vac on each one separately.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #6

Thanks. If I cut the power to the AC unit, is there any possibility that something in the unit holds power and will shock me? I think I read something about that.

I also have already pulled the cover on the outside and opened the inside, but everything looks like new. The smell is more of a chemical nature, I think, than dead animal. At this point, though, I'll try anything!
Old 07-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc17402 View Post
Thanks. If I cut the power to the AC unit, is there any possibility that something in the unit holds power and will shock me? I think I read something about that.

I also have already pulled the cover on the outside and opened the inside, but everything looks like new. The smell is more of a chemical nature, I think, than dead animal. At this point, though, I'll try anything!
The only thing that can shock you is the 120v. If you pull the breaker to the AC unit, you're fine. There will still be 12v or 5v DC from the thermostat.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I have mine on MAX-AIR it sometimes stinks on my side after eating mexican food. Oh this is the dash AC though. Jim
Old 07-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #9

With the power off, the capacitors inside the A/C electrical section on the roof could give you a shock. They are a round cylinder about 1" around and several inches long with wires hooked to one end. There are one or two depending on the A/C. They should be in a separate section of the A/C. Just don't touch the wires at the capacitors. They will bite if you touch them.

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:00 PM   #10

I had the same problem approx. 10 years ago. I pulled both ac's off the roof, removed the covers and washed with soap and water. The biggest job was getting them to the ground. It solved the problem.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #11

You might try Banaca breath freshener. This works on musty automotive ac's. Just spray an entire can into the return vent and quickly shut off fan, let sit for a few hours.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #12

Thanks...I have been spraying Lysol spray into the return vent with the AC vent turned off. It seems to work for a while, but the odor eventually returns. I'll try Binaca!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #13

FOWL AIR from A/C

I understand your problem.....I bought a used nice lance camper w/o a a/c. Bought a new Dometic 13.5 from PPl. installed it...My god ,stunk to high heaven out of the box. Ran it for hours ...no help. PPl didn't believe me but replaced it .....I installed it ..same thing....was awful. Furious, I demanded my money back.....or else...I paid return postage and got SOME money back. Bought a used MH A/C from my neighbor that had been lying in his yard 20 yrs....cleaned it up , tested it OUTSIDE and installed it......smelled fine.I WILL NEVER BUY DOMETIC AGAIN....
Installation was a 2 guy effort.....Sliding extension ladder up against the side of camper, plywood under A/C , ropes to let slide down and pull up...guy on top pulling ,guy on bottom pushing up.
Little hairy ...but don't have a crane.