Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

AC-Heater Thermostat Problems (Lengthy)

Silly me. Here I was being caught sleeping through class. Again.

It seems that for a number of years there have been problems with "Four Button" thermostats for Duo-Therm (Domestic) AC/heater systems. In retrospect, I have found that over the last 6--8 years, there have been numerous posts concerning this problem, but apparently I was totally oblivious to them, because I wasn't aware that there was a potential problem. Shame on me.

Apparently, over the last number of years, Dometic has changed the thermostats at least three times. The kicker is that that they apparently don't maintain any back parts, so that our only alternative is to not only change the thermostats, but to also change out the boards on the A/C units. At the cost of several hundreds of dollars.

========================================

I have found two places that, in an effort to respond to the market, are taking the old thermostats, reconditioning them, then taking your old thermostat and rebuilding it.

They are:

1. William Hendrix

william hendrix - Home

and

2. Frerichs Electronics LLC

Frerichs Electronics

==============================

I have no connection with either one of these companies. I only found them through avid research.

To be prudent, I suggest that you store this information in case you need it.

If you have a Five Button Thermostat beware. I believe that they are rapidly headed toward the same end.

Good luck, and good RVing.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
Silly me. Here I was being caught sleeping through class. Again.

It seems that for a number of years there have been problems with "Four Button" thermostats for Duo-Therm (Domestic) AC/heater systems. In retrospect, I have found that over the last 6--8 years, there have been numerous posts concerning this problem, but apparently I was totally oblivious to them, because I wasn't aware that there was a potential problem. Shame on me.

Apparently, over the last number of years, Dometic has changed the thermostats at least three times. The kicker is that that they apparently don't maintain any back parts, so that our only alternative is to not only change the thermostats, but to also change out the boards on the A/C units. At the cost of several hundreds of dollars.

========================================

I have found two places that, in an effort to respond to the market, are taking the old thermostats, reconditioning them, then taking your old thermostat and rebuilding it.

They are:

1. William Hendrix

william hendrix - Home

and

2. Frerichs Electronics LLC

Frerichs Electronics

==============================

I have no connection with either one of these companies. I only found them through avid research.

To be prudent, I suggest that you store this information in case you need it.

If you have a Five Button Thermostat beware. I believe that they are rapidly headed toward the same end.

Good luck, and good RVing.
Absolutly no issues with my 5 button on my 07 Discovery. Those thermastats can handle up to 4 ac/heat pump units. A single wire connects the stat to each unit. then it daisy chains to all the units. each unoit has a dip switch to ID each unit, e.g. 1, 2,3 & 4. If that wire is not connected or is broken yourr thermastat cannot "communicate" with the units.

Each unit has a board that needs to be set properly, one swich is the ID switch, e.g. i,2,3,or 4 and the 2nd switch is used to id an AC or AC/heat pump unit.

What exactly is happening with your setup? Can you give us a model number on the stat & roof units?

mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #3

The thermostat stopped "looking" at my second unit. I had a technician check the unit and he confirmed that it was the thermostat.

This unit has bee in operation since 1998, so it is about time that it retired, but you would think that Dometic would stock replacement parts.

It appears that they are beginning to stop making the five-button model. They seem to be getting difficult to find.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #4

Wonder if someting happened between the units, e.g, that control wire somehow got cut? Have you checked for continuity on that sense wire between front & rear? Rear control board set properly?

I recall a thread where a guy has having issues with the rear roof AC. Took it to the dealer & they had ZERO CLUE how to troubleshoot. Had replaced unit once or twice then the owner stepped in & suggested testing that sense wire.... It was broken.... Ran a temp. "jumper wire" and stat saw 2nd unit AFTER a power cycle. Those stats "look" for Qty/Type of units at powerup!

I've been doing a TON of RV repair the last 10+ years & wireing, e.g. bad grounds, connections, crappy "slices"...The list goes on.....is a BIGGIE.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, thermostat