Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2014, 01:09 AM   #1

AC power questions

Hi,
I just bought a TT (Riverside Retro 177) which Iím pulling with a Toyota, FJ. The salesman said a 2000 watt Yamaha inverter would run the a/c, even in az in the summer. Wrong- Itís not even hot yet and the a/c unit keep kicking off. I am planning on getting another one to run in parallel (seems easier and quieter than getting a big unit to lug around)
Question 1) is this the best way?

Second, Iím using my TT at peopleís homes like an office, so wait time for cooling not ideal.(esp when itís 115) My FJ is not a pick up so could I run the generators while driving if I put up some sore of barrier to keep the exhaust going out the back. (plastic liner or hose? ) or is there some other way. There is a 110 Volt outlet in the back but only draw 100-400 watts. (any way to use this feature?)

Thanks in advances for helping a NEWBIE.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome!

Your Yamaha generator is likely right on the edge of being able to run the air conditioner compressor start surge. That said, be sure all else with heavy draw is turned off or switched to gas, such as the water heater and refrigerator. And yes two units in parallel is popular due to being easier to handle, and when not running air conditioning only one is needed.

Installing these generators inside the tow vehicle is something I would not recommend, due to the issue of the fumes. Maybe a rack added to the rear of the trailer to hold the generators would be a better solution.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Yea, the issue is the a/c run through on/off cycles and doesn't have the juice to restart. just wait till summer.

Ok, so no generator in the truck. I will have to look for a economical way to add a rack. But two generators should work, right? It seems like I'd get more quieter power for less money getting a second 2000 vs getting one bigger unit, or am I mistaken?

thanks
Old 05-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #4

I could run the roof air on my last 5er with my 2000w Honda inverter.
BUT , while doing so the Honda had to be at max RPM, not on auto idle, and nothing else could be on, even if the batteries were down and the converter/charger was working hard , that would cause an over load.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #5

Get one more powerful. Our first mh had one roof ac with a 4500 watt generator.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyyno View Post
Yea, the issue is the a/c run through on/off cycles and doesn't have the juice to restart. just wait till summer.

Ok, so no generator in the truck. I will have to look for a economical way to add a rack. But two generators should work, right? It seems like I'd get more quieter power for less money getting a second 2000 vs getting one bigger unit, or am I mistaken?

thanks
Yes, two such generators designed to be paralleled would provide for the air con use and is usually a better watt / dollar deal, provides lighter units to handle, and allows the usage of just one if the air con is not needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #7

Your A/C may not have a start capacitor or it may be too small...have a look at this link for information on the problem.

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timay View Post
Your A/C may not have a start capacitor or it may be too small...have a look at this link for information on the problem.

Tim
well, I order the second one already, But this was an interesting article. I will need to see what capacitor mine has. It may be changing.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 AM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You need a 3K generator to run A/C. Running two 2K units in parallel is a good way to do it. When A/C is not needed, you can run just one unit. I would suggest a rack on the back or if you have the ability to add some tongue weight, they make a rack for over your propane tanks. Either way, you can leave the generators running and cool the TT while driving. Keep in mind, the roof A/C may not be as efficient while driving because of how the wind blows across it. Not a huge issue, but you could lose a couple of degrees.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:56 AM   #10

I'm going to get the ignorance flowing here. How do I find out how much tongue weight I can handle? I could see a cargo carrier like this one working. The gens weigh 44 lbs, so only 88 for generators + a gallon of gas each (about 14 more) + the weight of the carrier (? shipping wt is 68) so about 170.

Tags
power