Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Thumbs down AC Unit Keeps Blowing the Breaker...

I am frustrated and cant seem to find information on what I am doing wrong. I am plugged into my friends garage and my AC unit constantly blows the breaker in the garage. I thought at first that maybe I was running to many things, but now I make sure to turn my fridge to LP gas, unplug everything but the microwave (which I don't use when the AC is running) and even still it blows. Sometimes right away, sometimes after 10 minutes, and other times it lasts longer. No one is using the garage so there isn't anything else fighting for power.

I don't know what else to do? Its 90 degrees and the AC works great but I cant keep it going. How do I run the AC without it blowing the breaker? Do I need to plug into a different outlet maybe?

I am lost :(

'04 Brave // Full-Timers working towards Homesteading
Tasha & Joseph and the fur kids - Dukkha and Buddy (woof!) <3 Lady With A Hippie Heart <3 Please follow my Adventures @ https://gypsyyears.wordpress.com/
GypsyYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you know what else in your friend's house might be running on that circuit? It may be that you need to try a different plug.

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
What size breaker?? 15, 20
Steve and Joy
2013 Winnebago Journey
Where We Are Now
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:50 PM   #4
If it is a 15 amp breaker that keeps blowing, you need to find an outlet on a 20 amp breaker. ( Kitchen, Dinning Room )

I was blowing 20 amp breakers in my brothers old house but not in my daughters newer house. Breakers do go bad.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
If it is in the garage I would bet it's a GFI outlet. Find an outlet that is on a 20amp and non GFI.
Grubmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:04 PM   #6
iRV2 No Limits Club
Put a meter on it and see what the voltage is, if it is down under 115 vac your compressor may be running too hot and kicking the breaker. I am in the same position and am running at 120 v the a/c yanks it down to 112 at start up, but then runs at 117 vac and then can run the other a/c on fan only just fine, also turn the temp clear down in the 60`s so it does not have to start up all the time. Enjoy the cool air. warren
Warren SKP 1605 Spook the wander dog
1985 Champion Transtar 23' with Chev 350-4.10 drw CHUCKWAGON
Newmar Dutchstar 3450 460 banks RVM75 Sheneeda Bunch O`Gas
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:51 AM   #7
15A breaker is too small run these AC units.... I wouldn't keep trying to run it that way you could burn up the AC
2014 Ram 3500 CCLB 4x4 Dually 68RFE, 370/800 Cummins 3.42 highway gear - Deep Cherry Red
2016 Coachmen Chapparal 360IBL
Sold - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT QCLB 4x4 - Cummins Power
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
Freightliner Owners Club
The length and size of the extension cord will have a big effect. You may have 120 volts at the wall in the garage and only 112-115 at the RV. Add the load of the AC (especially starting) and you may be 108-110 and loading the circuit breaker. (never let it get below 108volts) Another draw that you may not have counted on is the converter, if it starts drawing amperage to charge your batteries, that reduces what you have available. It does that automatically unless the converter is unplugged.

Hooligan, Pensacola, Fl -U.S. Coast Guard 1956-1985
2016 Thor Siesta Sprinter 24ST diesel
Our Pug "Lily" & "George" the Newfoundland
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote