RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #1

Accident Damage

Hello I was wondering if I can get some opinions about the extent of damage on these pictures. I'm not looking for an estimate but I don't know anything about RV repairs and I'm wondering if this is a no brainer as far as total loss or what I should be asking the repair shop to check out to make sure there is no hidden damage. And also what I should be prepared for with the truck drivers insurance adjuster. A tractor trailer swung the tail when making a left turn and the right corner put a gash in the drivers side wall. The fiberglass is punctured all the way through and damaged the wallpaper, the fiberglass is also cracked in different spots near there. The front cap got ripped and pulled off on the drivers side. I'm not sure if it will be easy to reattach since its a 12 year old camper I'm concerned the scope of work is a lot and the truck drivers insurance may try to low ball it. I think the value is $28k on NADA with all the options and its a Four Winds Hurricane 30q. Luckily it was parked and no one was inside or hurt. The police accident report shows 100% fault of the truck driver. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you fellow Rver's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2584.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	268638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2610.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	268641  

Camperbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #2

First off the truckers insurance adjuster will absolutely try and low ball your settlement, that is their job! As to the rest of it I would look very carefully for so-called hidden damage. Since the damage went all the way through to the wall paper you can be fairly certain that there is structural damage.

Don't just rollover. A couple of years ago I had a deer attack my car. It was a little older but in very good shape. The insurance company insisted that I agree to after-market (LKQ) parts. I insisted on OEM parts, I eventually got OEM parts but not without writing the president of my insurance company. The state insurance commission is your friend.

arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
First off the truckers insurance adjuster will absolutely try and low ball your settlement, that is their job! As to the rest of it I would look very carefully for so-called hidden damage. Since the damage went all the way through to the wall paper you can be fairly certain that there is structural damage.

Don't just rollover. A couple of years ago I had a deer attack my car. It was a little older but in very good shape. The insurance company insisted that I agree to after-market (LKQ) parts. I insisted on OEM parts, I eventually got OEM parts but not without writing the president of my insurance company. The state insurance commission is your friend.
Good advice! I had a right front blow out and the damage to my Super Duty was over 12k. Insurance company tried everything to make me use aftermarket parts, I insisted on OEM. Took a couple of weeks of phone calls, but got what I wanted. For what itís worth, my guess is they will total your rig. I would start looking on the internet for rigs like yours for sale and make a file for later conversations. Good luck! 🕶
RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have you notified your insurance company?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:09 AM   #5

My friend, this is going to be expensive.

Others have given wise suggestions. One additional suggestion. Find a good repair shop and get a detailed estimate. Donít take less.
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:24 AM   #6

Thankfully, no one was injured.
You need to know the fair market value of RV on the market today. If you have recently made some repairs, add those into the value. If the accident has displaced you and/or any upcoming planned trips, you need to be compensated for them as well. When the insurance adjuster arrives to evaluate the damages, you need to be there, and converse with him/her about the damages and potential hidden damages.
From my experience with a fairly new 5th wheel that sustained similar damages a few years ago, and from the pictures you presented here, the insurance company may choose to "total" the RV. Good Luck

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:32 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
call your insurance company and get a lawyer this ruined for family winter trip you need to be compinsated for that nada is not fair market value i would hope your insurance says it is totaled
Old 12-05-2019, 07:54 AM   #8

No one has mentioned yet that some states require a vehicle be totaled if the repair is over 75% of it's value. Your insurance agent should know if this applies to your situation. And, as previously mentioned, contact your state insurance commissioner if you are having problems with the trucking company's insurance.

The concept of insurance is to "Make you whole". That is, to be in the same financial position that you were before an incident occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
call your insurance company and get a lawyer this ruined for family winter trip you need to be compinsated for that nada is not fair market value i would hope your insurance says it is totaled
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Turn the process over to your insurance agent....you pay them to represent you in these type accidents. It's their job to work with the other drivers insurance.

If they decide to total it, then you'll have to do your homework and find out the current value of the rig.

Some insurance companies will try and low ball you.....be ready.

The front cap and windshield looks repairable, but the sidewall is another story.
It could be repaired by panel replacement/repaint etc.

In the end, it would be hard to hide the damage repair.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #10

First, DO NOT GET AN ATTORNEY unless you want the entire process to come to an abrupt halt, unless you want to spend 6 months to a year to get a settlement, and unless you want the attorneys to take all the money you may receive from his insurance company in a settlement!

Second, I would listen to what their adjuster has to say, and consider the offer they make to you IN WRITING. Verbal means absolutely nothing.

DO NOT agree verbally or in writing with anything at this time. Take what they have to offer and consider it thoroughly. Third: if the coach is totaled, and their offer seems low, consider an independent appraisal of the coach. You will have to to pay out of pocket initially, but may be reimbursed that cost upon final settlement. If the coach is to be repaired, require their insurance company to pay you for "diminished value" since your coach will now have an "accident history", and therefore will potentially sell for a lower price when you finally sell.
If you run into any issues, or they drag their feet, or if the settlement appears to be low, as mentioned earlier, open a file with your states Office of the Insurance Commissioner. I've used them successfully in three different situations, one in North Carolina, and two in Kentucky. Wonderful people, great to deal with, and the absolutely LAST people any insurance company wants to hear from with respect to your claim!

With just your pics, I am leaning to the insurance company totaling your coach, but if it has been maintained well, I would be first in line to purchase it and repair it!

Above all else, consider this piece of advice from me to you:
"Insurance companies will get away with exactly how much you LET them get away with!"
Final Note: Egwilly has given you absolutely GREAT advice above. Let you insurance company deal with it and see what they can come up with. Tell you that you want them to repair it and they can go after the OTHER insurance company for reimbursement.

Also, don't forget that trip you were planning on taking that this is preventing you from using. Mention to the other insurance company that you have been looking into rental costs so that you won't have to tell the kids that that lifetime trip to Disney won't happen! Tell the other insurance company that you expect them to pick up the tab on the rental rig!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
A drunk driver broadsided my wife in her Ford Ranger Truck, it was totaled. Luckily her or the 2 dogs were not injured. The first thing the insurance company wanted to do is have the truck moved from the towing companies lot since they were paying a daily fee. I told them it wasn't going anywhere until we had a settlement, this sped up the process as they were burning money every day. Money talks.

As to your situation, I would contact your insurance company and get them involved. Not sure if the rig is totaled, they may not be willing to go this route as it will cost them more money. If it is repaired I agree that you should be compensated for diminished value and loss of use.

Good Luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:11 AM   #12

Jayco Owners Club
You might consider hiring a public adjuster. They will work for a percentage of the award, but typically you will come out way ahead of what the other guyís insurance company would offer, even after his cut.
Miller205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #13

Sorry, for the loss and glad no one was injured or hurt! My only contribution to this was the unit parked or was the unit moving but stop at a traffic signal?

Why, some states have no-fault insurance laws and this can get really messy!

As an example we were on a vacation in Michigan last year and my two children had their vehicles hit and totaled by a drunk driver. The cars where parked on a side street and parked at night. It took several months to get resolved, with one finally getting all of their cost back this month!

So, defiantly discuss this with your insurance company, they maybe paying if the state has no-fault insurance laws!
Old 12-05-2019, 09:40 AM   #14

Sorry this happened. I come at these situations a bit differently than many people. I would do my homework, come up with a fair value and then see how close I can get the settlement to that amount. And please note I said "Fair". The fact you got engaged in that motorhome doesn't increase the valuation. They aren't going to award you thousands of dollars because you had to change your plans. They are going to settle for the value of the motorhome, period, no sentiment included.
In the end, if it comes in a few thousand dollars short I just take my lumps and move on. Remember, the time, money and frustration spent chasing the difference in what you feel is fair and what is being offered is what is in play. If it takes 6 months and $2500 in attorney's fees to get the settlement up from $37000 to $40000 is it really worth it? The best advice so far has been use your insurance company as the point negotiator for your interests. I have actually found in my dealings with insurance claims that the insurance company does want to get the claim settled and will generally reach a mutually acceptable settlement amount. (point of information, my claims were not 7 figure injury claims, those are a different ballgame)

kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote