Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Accident this weekend

Ok, we were in a vehicle accident this weekend while towing. Luckily we ere slowing down due to traffic coming back from the beach and there was a stop light and exit ramp ahead. At the last second a lady in a Toyota Seqouia jumped in front of us and slammed on her breaks. There was no way for us to stop and we hit her going about 15 MPH. Everyone was able to drive away, but three vehicles had damage, she hit the one in front of her. I have a 2006 F250 and about a 13,000 lb 5th wheel. My bumper was bent up, and trans cooler bent, but not leaking. minor damage to tow hooks, fog lights, etc...

What should I be concerned with as far as the hitch is concerned? It is a Reese 16k slider.

Thanks,
Rick
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While I can not be sure and you **SHOULD** inspect it fully.

I seriously doubt the hitch was damaged.

Also inspect the trailer's half of the hitch.

Who got the ticket? And/or Who's name came first on the accident report?
Old 08-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Glad to hear all are OK. Just curious what the law has said about the accident. All of us RV'er know that an RV can't stop like a car, but the car was in fact in front of you and you rear ended the car. I am sure we have all had the same scenario where someone cuts in front of you and rapidly slows down making you brake hard.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Although I wasn't there to witness the forces involved, there's every chance that your hitch has experienced a significant shock load. My first recommendation would be to confer with the technical folks at Reese, get their recommendations and proceed accordingly. Only they know the design limits and weak links of their hitch design.

Should that not be possible, I'd inspect ALL load-bearing fasteners for signs of distortion or stretching (bending failures or failures in yield) and retorque same - if any are significantly low in torque, I'd check them closely as they may have stretched and lost their prestress. Further, I'd inspect the hitch structure very closely for any signs of bending, misalignment, etc. Without more sophisticated NDT (non-destructive testing) tooling, you're limited in what you can do, but the above is what I'd do as a minimum.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm guessing you would have full coverage on your F250 and would be making a claim for damages if so I'd shift the liability of the hitch inspection to them in case of something unforeseen happening in the future they are the "professionals" which is not to say I would trust them enough not to make my own inspection if you feel capable of doing so..
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #6

Call Reese. I had bought a new hitch and had a problem with it. They are very helpful.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldermanre View Post
Ok, we were in a vehicle accident this weekend while towing. Luckily we ere slowing down due to traffic coming back from the beach and there was a stop light and exit ramp ahead. At the last second a lady in a Toyota Seqouia jumped in front of us and slammed on her breaks. There was no way for us to stop and we hit her going about 15 MPH.
This is exactly the reason I installed a dash camera in my MH and other personal vehicles. Here's a sample from one of them:

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
I called Reese, and they said that they do not crash test their products and recommend buying a complete new setup since it would be cheaper that taking everything to be magnafluxed and checked. The guy wasn't to helpful, but I understand that they don't want to say anything that could come back on them.

I don't think the hitch was damaged, I have visually checked everything several times, and don't see any signs of movement either. I'll have to check the torque, good advice. The trailer hitch look fine as well.

No one received a ticket, he said vehicle 1 hit vehicle 2, and vehicle 2 hit vehicle 3.

The lady said she was in the wrong, but not in front of him, and not to her insurance.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Rick,
Sorry about the mishap. I hope the person that darted in front of you got a ticket.

Bob,
PM me with details of that dash-camera if you would. Looks interesting. Model, and what do you feed it into.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
This is exactly the reason I installed a dash camera in my MH and other personal vehicles. Here's a sample from one of them:

Good Idea.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Bob, could you post your dash cam info in the Technology Forum?

I think many of our members would be interested.....................I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Bob,
PM me with details of that dash-camera if you would. Looks interesting. Model, and what do you feed it into.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:45 PM   #12

aldermanre...sent you a PM.
Blaster 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:03 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldermanre View Post
I called Reese, and they said that they do not crash test their products and recommend buying a complete new setup since it would be cheaper that taking everything to be magnafluxed and checked. The guy wasn't to helpful, but I understand that they don't want to say anything that could come back on them.

I don't think the hitch was damaged, I have visually checked everything several times, and don't see any signs of movement either. I'll have to check the torque, good advice. The trailer hitch look fine as well.

No one received a ticket, he said vehicle 1 hit vehicle 2, and vehicle 2 hit vehicle 3.

The lady said she was in the wrong, but not in front of him, and not to her insurance.
You may not think they were very helpful but I think they gave you very good advice. Paper work that comes with Blue Ox tow bars and base plates say the very same thing about their units that have been involved in an accident.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
You may not think they were very helpful but I think they gave you very good advice. Paper work that comes with Blue Ox tow bars and base plates say the very same thing about their units that have been involved in an accident.

yep they are like baby seats. one wreck and your better off to scrap em and get a new one.

to many variables
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote