Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 07:52 AM   #1

Accident yesterday-scared the hell out of me

The wind was blowing pretty hard. I just got a glance of something helicoptering in my mirror. It took me a while to get pulled over. A car pulled up behind me and something had blown off my coach. He swerved to miss it but it had blown in the traffic coming the other way and there was an accident. I started walking back to the accident and along side of the road I saw the awning top cover for my long slide!! When I got to the car I could see it had gone into thr windshield. Scared the hell out of me! If the piece hadn't hit the hood first it could have really been bad. Luckily only a few scratches. Not a good first day on out 2 month trip. Guess I better be thankful it wasn't worse.
Safe travels everyone

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just changed my AC shrouds and my Fridge shroud just for that reason. They were old and had cracks in them, I told DW that I was changing them as I didn't want them to blow off and hit someone. Glad nobody got hurt, safe travels. Jim

Old 06-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That would scare me as well. Glad no one was hurt. Scary.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I'm glad no one was hurt! I hope they were understanding, and you can let it go, as just that an accident. Enjoy the rest of the trip.
onourway2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
MAN! After reading about this my chair came up with me as I stood up! What a pucker factor you must have had. Sooo many issues must be going through your head now. Not the least was the potential to have someone get hurt. Still, you have to worry about the damage to your RV, the confidence in it as a structure, and all that kinda stuff.

I know that every time I run into a surprise I need a little time to come off of the ceiling. I learned a valuable lesson when I was on my private pilot check ride. The evaluator was an old hand and he knew that handling spins was NOT part of the practical exam but he wanted to demonstrate and then have me demonstrate spin recovery. This was after we had run through most of the demonstration phase. Well, we did a few spins and then finished up with a few more items then headed back to the airport. During the de-brief he made a very important point. He said that up to the point of the spins I was spot on with all my tasks. After the spins I was within tolerances but was not as sharp. His point was that after getting rattled it is important to take stock of your mental state and give yourself time to get over it. If that means that something scary happens to you enroute, don't be afraid to change destination, get on the ground and get regrouped. In our RV world that would translate to considering an unplanned stop for the day and unwinding.

Your mental state is as important to your safety as the condition of your RV. Hang in there!
Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
MAN! After reading about this my chair came up with me as I stood up! What a pucker factor you must have had. Sooo many issues must be going through your head now. Not the least was the potential to have someone get hurt. Still, you have to worry about the damage to your RV, the confidence in it as a structure, and all that kinda stuff.

I know that every time I run into a surprise I need a little time to come off of the ceiling. I learned a valuable lesson when I was on my private pilot check ride. The evaluator was an old hand and he knew that handling spins was NOT part of the practical exam but he wanted to demonstrate and then have me demonstrate spin recovery. This was after we had run through most of the demonstration phase. Well, we did a few spins and then finished up with a few more items then headed back to the airport. During the de-brief he made a very important point. He said that up to the point of the spins I was spot on with all my tasks. After the spins I was within tolerances but was not as sharp. His point was that after getting rattled it is important to take stock of your mental state and give yourself time to get over it. If that means that something scary happens to you enroute, don't be afraid to change destination, get on the ground and get regrouped. In our RV world that would translate to considering an unplanned stop for the day and unwinding.

Your mental state is as important to your safety as the condition of your RV. Hang in there!
Outstanding point regarding taking stock of one's mental state following any extremely stressful event. Good reminder for all of us. Very happy to read that no one was hurt!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Having been on the receiving end of things hitting you from other vehicles it is not
something either party looks forward too.
Case in point one day as I met a truck traveling the other way a 1x6 inch bolt came
off his truck bed as we met at 60mph each (120 mph impact).
The bold hit my drivers mirror which exploded and also remove a couple of feet of
sheet metal just below the window.
That bolt was less than 5 inches from hitting me and when I caught up with the truck and informed him of this he was so upset it took sometime before he was
able to operate the truck.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #8

Things happen. On I-75 in northern FL, we were heading north when we saw a wheel with part of an axle attached come flying over the divider and into our lanes. I thought this was the end for us. It was coming right at our lane - but hit the roadway and popped back into the air, went over a car and hit the grass. It came to rest against a chain link fence. Talk about an adrenalin rush......
Old 06-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #9

accident

You all are sure right about the mental! Didn't sleep well at all. Next day 75 miles from small town, Cortez Co, the inner rear dual blew out taking 10' side section out of rear of coach!! Telephone service hit and miss. Drove all the way in. Called every tire dealer I could. 3pm on Saturday afternoon. Found one guy who had two new tires but a little narrower. Got 6 miles from his shop and highway blocked because of a wreck. Got the tires on, went to a campground, 3 drinks and to bed. Last year 6000 mile trip only had to replace the coach waterpump. Not a single other problem!! Looking for a better rest of the trip.

Safe travels everyone
Old 06-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Glad your all ok. Events happening on the road can be a little stressful for sure.
One more reason why that 2X2X2 rule is how we plan to travel.
The less stress on roadways the better.
Safe travels everyone!!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:09 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Glad your all ok. Events happening on the road can be a little stressful for sure.
One more reason why that 2X2X2 rule is how we plan to travel.
The less stress on roadways the better.
Safe travels everyone!!!

Ok, I think I got this point, but am not sure so I'll ask. What is the "2X2X2 rule?"
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Glad no one was hurt, other than your nerves. But that's why we drive these things - booze in the cupboard and clean underwear in the drawer.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Glad no one was hurt, other than your nerves. But that's why we drive these things - booze in the cupboard and clean underwear in the drawer.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That cover should be metal, but it is mounted to fabric with a rib inside to hold it in,,,, Depending on the age of your RV, there may be some action needed (Like notifying the manufacturer of the awning) I should have said the age of the awning.