RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
Accidents Happen, and that is why we call them ACCIDENTS

Medical Alerts

Something you should read and learn about as it could save your life or a family member. Who knows may even help to get your Phone returned to you if lost. Viewing MEDICAL ALERT, will not show everything on your phone. A first responder finding your phone will only see what you want them to see.

Please take the time to read and review the FREE APP ALREADY ON YOUR iPhones and Android PHONES.

IPHONE FREE APP Already on your PHONES.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207021

https://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-se...l-id-in-ios-8/

and for other PHONE MODELS which may or may not be free. Check them out for yourself and family members.

https://www.redmondpie.com/search/?c...334j1645784j14

Dogman635UT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Great info! Thanks for the tip!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:18 PM   #3

Let's see... A 5 year old app that hardly anybody knows about, including first responders and hospital ER staff. In the 4 years that I have been working in a hospital environment I have yet to have a "John Doe" unconscious patient come in and heard somebody ask to have the patients phone checked for medical info, or had a patient or family member provide a phone with the medical information. Since the introduction and with the expansion of "care anywhere", the fight to find patient health information for providers is mostly won.
In reality, a thumb drive with you information carried in a pocket would be more likely to help.

I'n not gonna touch "accidents".
Old 09-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I wear a RoadID bracelet 24/7. I ride bicycles on city streets and bike trails.

The bracelet tells the responders my name, contact numbers and doctors phone number. It also contains allergy info and other pertinent information.

BTW. I don't call running me off the road on my bike because drivers are texting while they're driving an accident(my response to the op's heading).
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:37 PM   #5

Tough crowd. And I thought RVer's were a friendly bunch...….
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
Tough crowd. And I thought RVer's were a friendly bunch...….
Not really tough, just stating the facts. I doubt first responders, doctors, and emergency room personnel would even think about looking at a phone during an emergency situation. Myself, I want them treating me, not fooling around with my phone.

If you do have something critical that medical personnel needs to know, then get the bracelet or tag that they'll know when they see it.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Not really tough, just stating the facts. I doubt first responders, doctors, and emergency room personnel would even think about looking at a phone during an emergency situation. Myself, I want them treating me, not fooling around with my phone.

If you do have something critical that medical personnel needs to know, then get the bracelet or tag that they'll know when they see it.
That's true. BUT, there is one thing that you can put on your phone that may be helpful to emergency personnel. Put the word ICE in front of the person who you want to be called in an emergency. Example: I have ICE Theresa. They know the ICE stands for in case of emergency and that is your emergency contact.
Bahamaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:04 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
I wear a medical alert necklace at all times with allergy, medication and contact details. No dead batteries and no security codes required to unlock it.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamaniac View Post
That's true. BUT, there is one thing that you can put on your phone that may be helpful to emergency personnel. Put the word ICE in front of the person who you want to be called in an emergency. Example: I have ICE Theresa. They know the ICE stands for in case of emergency and that is your emergency contact.

That's another "tip" I've never seen used. Most phones have to be unlocked and if they can unlock it or tell us the code, we probably don't need the ICE thing anyway.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:43 PM   #10

The ICE on my Android can be accessed before unlocking. It's on the opening screen.

Our local fire department/ambulance service recommends this.

I just Googled and one of the first links that came up was from this ambulance company:

https://ohioambulance.com/keep-emerg...r-smart-phone/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:33 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
The ICE on my Android can be accessed before unlocking. It's on the opening screen.

Our local fire department/ambulance service recommends this.

I just Googled and one of the first links that came up was from this ambulance company:

https://ohioambulance.com/keep-emerg...r-smart-phone/
Interesting little article - thanks for posting the link. I did notice the takeaway paragraph at the end - as with so many things digital having a backup or alternative means of accessing critical information is very important:

3. Keeping it Analog
As this post suggests, there is no substitute for a medical alert bracelet. Your phone battery could die or the phone itself could be damaged beyond use in a car accident. Tech Guy Labs writes that “emergency personnel only consider smartphones as a backup location for your medical information. They are trained to check in specific locations for a physical emergency card.” Your best bet is to store critical information in multiple places, especially if you have a life-threatening condition.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:32 AM   #12

My daughter is type 1 diabetic. We discussed getting her a bracelet a long time ago. We talked to hospital and Dr office staff and especially many first responders. They all said they would have blood sugar levels tested LONG BEFORE looking for a bracelet or neckless or phone app.
Old 09-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Getting run off the road by a texting driver makes you tough. Has nothing to do with being friendly or not.

Try picking yourself up from a ditch someday, you might agree.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Getting run off the road by a texting driver makes you tough. Has nothing to do with being friendly or not.

Try picking yourself up from a ditch someday, you might agree.
The DW and I are cyclists as well and have been run off the road with thankfully no injuries so know what you are talking about but that has nothing to do with the OP's message in any way. With all due respect you responded to that post as if the OP themselves ran you off the road. Where did the OP state anything about being ok to text and drive and run cyclists off the road I might have missed that part.

Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote