Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #29

My tire says max tire pressure is 115. I just checked the pressures and they are at 80psi now. This means that I have driven it for 300 miles at 80psi. I have a trip in 2 weeks to the same location as my last trip a week ago. I will inflate to 115 and see if I can tell a difference. I use to race quads and could feel a difference of 2lbs over same terrain so im sure I will feel a 35lb difference. I will report back here to state my findings. Thanks for the help and concerns
This trip is 65 miles one way.

Shawn, Tori, Ryan and "Paw's Memory"
New Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Time on their side......

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hobby View Post
I have a friend that owns a very large chain of tire and repair centers. I called him and asked him where I could find a 4 corner scale to weigh my coach and he asked why. I told him so I could set a proper psi in my tires. He asked me about my tires, size, brand, ply and so on. He then told me that I have the best tire made for my coach and to run the max tire pressure and leave it. He said that tires run cooler at max pressure and my tire will handle it.
Im not saying he is right but I do trust him very much, so I will be running 115psi until something gives me a reason to change.

Thanks again for all this great info.
Quote:
My tire says max tire pressure is 115. I just checked the pressures and they are at 80psi now. This means that I have driven it for 300 miles at 80psi. I have a trip in 2 weeks to the same location as my last trip a week ago. I will inflate to 115 and see if I can tell a difference. I use to race quads and could feel a difference of 2lbs over same terrain so im sure I will feel a 35lb difference. I will report back here to state my findings. Thanks for the help and concerns
This trip is 65 miles one way.
You might find it handles better but might ride a little worse. Like your friend in the tire business, he adjusts the tire pressure to the mfg. max tire pressure(minimum pressure to support max load) Mine was weighed and pressure set, wondered all over, handled terrible. After chasing tire pressure for some time I just went to max tire pressure(rim pressure also) and my problems went away as far as wandering and handling. Rides a bit worse than it did, but I can relax and drive it without fighting the wheel all the time. I could not run the chart pressure determined by my weight and drive good. Big trucks run max pressure all the time and do not adjust pressure for the load they are carrying, Our stores would be empty if truckers used the scales at truck stops for this purpose like RV'ers do. Big trucks use them to adjust their axle weights and to check for being over weight, RVer's use them to adjust tire pressure. Like always, what works for one might not work for another......

Old 12-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #31

Quote:
My tire says max tire pressure is 115. I just checked the pressures and they are at 80psi now. This means that I have driven it for 300 miles at 80psi. I have a trip in 2 weeks to the same location as my last trip a week ago. I will inflate to 115 and see if I can tell a difference. I use to race quads and could feel a difference of 2lbs over same terrain so im sure I will feel a 35lb difference. I will report back here to state my findings. Thanks for the help and concerns This trip is 65 miles one way.
Here is some relevant info on tire pressures from freightliner custom chassis folks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1699411310.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	52822   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-908403699.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	323.9 KB
ID:	52823  

Name:	image-4231125394.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	52824  
Old 12-30-2013, 03:40 AM   #32

Pasdad, my pc wont open those pics. What would I search for to find that info?

Shawn, Tori, Ryan and "Paw's Memory"
New Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Pasdad, my pc wont open those pics. What would I search for to find that info?

The info is also contained in this PDF (somewhere in the middle)

http://freightlinerchassis.com/docum...4504000000.pdf
Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #34

Neither of the gauges from Amazon pictured in this thread would work on my outside dual tire. It has a short straight stem and the hub prevents getting the gauge fitting on the stem straight. It takes a near 90 degree fitting to get on the stem straight.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never found a dually set that my Milton gauge I listed here couldn't check but it sounds like you should either change your stems to something different or I might suggest checking the Milton website for other options.

https://miltonindustries.com
Old 01-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #36

I have a small digital Accutire gauge that fits them just fine.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #37

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
NAPA sells a certified gauge that I use to test my others against. Cost was about $35.

And the pressure molded into the sidewall of a truck size tire is not the maximum the tire should ever have, it is the minimum pressure to support the maximum rating of the tire. This is given in the various tire companies RV guides and an article in Motorhome magazine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #38
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay.....this post has gone from climbing on your roof with a hose and a bucket of water to create the perfect water gauge to just filling your tires to max and not worrying about it . For the older guys, (me included) stay off the roof with the bucket of water or there's going to be a rise in hip replacements.

I think any tire that takes from 80-115 psi isn't going to be detrimentally affected by a 1-3 psi error rate in a tire gauge. How about just using the same gauge for the coach all the time. Mine stays in the coach and is the only one I use.

Finding a location to do a four corner weight check can be difficult, but a front to back weight is pretty simple. I think anyone who cares about how their coach drives, and handles should at least start with the coach manufacturer's suggested psi setting and then go to the tire manufacturer's weight tables and get a good starting point for your coach.

Keep in mind that a lot of us on this forum are getting up in years and gauges that are hard to manipulate, read or don't momentarily store the pressure are harder to use.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:27 PM   #39

Virtually every vehicle built will have a tire pressure chart. My Motorhome has one my Samurai has one and our two Chrysler cars have one. They are there for a reason. The tires have a maximum pressure number molded into the sidewall. Those numbers are NOT for the same thing. The number on the vehicle is what the vehicle engineers have determined are correct for the tire size on the chart to make it handle right. That number has nothing to do with the number on the tire sidewall. The number on the sidewall is the MAXIMUM SAFE PRESSURE that tire can be inflated to regardless of what vehicle it is on. That pressure is almost never the right pressure for any vehicle. Engineers seldom outfit a vehicle with tires that have to be run at their maximum safe pressure. That leaves too little safety margin and their lawyers don't like that (-:
Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #40

Have this one from Harbor Freight item #90610. Had it tested by Michelin at WIT Rally and it was right on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1090160029.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	53808  
Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #41

Longacre makes very nice analog gauges. For the average guy on this site though skip the liquid filled. You have to "burp" them after large temperature changes or after driving over mountains.

I spent three races trying to figure out why I was chasing tire pressures and handling all weekend - and then at the next race saw the needle sitting off the peg. Raised the rubber plug on the back to burp the gauge and it zeroed.

I pulled the plug out, drained the mineral oil, and never had another issue!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:04 AM   #42
Commercial Member

I have a post on gauge accuracy and how I confirm my gauges are accurate. I do not work for a gauge company or sell gauges, but I am a tire engineer.

Tags
tire pressure