Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 PM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
This is the one I use and has been my favorite for 4 years now.

I see they are $100+ these days, I paid $80.00 when I got mine.

TPGDL1000, Tire Gauge and Inflator, Digital, Backlit, Blue-Point®

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #44

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jauguston View Post
Virtually every vehicle built will have a tire pressure chart. My Motorhome has one my Samurai has one and our two Chrysler cars have one. They are there for a reason. The tires have a maximum pressure number molded into the sidewall. Those numbers are NOT for the same thing. The number on the vehicle is what the vehicle engineers have determined are correct for the tire size on the chart to make it handle right. That number has nothing to do with the number on the tire sidewall. The number on the sidewall is the MAXIMUM SAFE PRESSURE that tire can be inflated to regardless of what vehicle it is on. That pressure is almost never the right pressure for any vehicle. Engineers seldom outfit a vehicle with tires that have to be run at their maximum safe pressure. That leaves too little safety margin and their lawyers don't like that (-:
ON TRUCK size tires the cold pressure on the sidewall is the MINIMUM required to support the maximum weight rating of the tires. Same with the tire charts, it's the MINIMUM cold pressure to support the weight.

From page 2 of the 06/07 Michelin RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
From the Firestone/Bridgestone RV tire guide:
Quote:
Bear in mind that these are maximum ratings. The sidewall of the tire shows maximum load and minimum inflation pressure for that load
From the GoodYear RV Tire Guide:
Quote:
How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load.
From TOYO
Quote:
Q: What are the consequences of inflating the tires to accommodate the actual loads?
A: If the inflation pressure corresponds to the actual tire load according to the tire manufacturer’s load and pressure table, the tire will be running at 100% of its rated load at that pressure. This practice may not provide sufficient safety margin. Any air pressure loss below the minimum required to carry the load can result in eventual tire failure.
But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:26 AM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"The number on the sidewall is the MAXIMUM SAFE PRESSURE that tire can be inflated to regardless of what vehicle it is on."

It appears that the above statement is incorrect and in fact could cause a major tire failure. I for one am going to read very carefully the information that came with my coach from the tire manufacturer.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
The link below explains ALL of the markings on the sidewall of ANY tire used in North America.

Click on any label around the tire to get a detailed explanation.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=33

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The link below explains ALL of the markings on the sidewall of ANY tire used in North America.

Click on any label around the tire to get a detailed explanation.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=33

Dr4Film ----- Richard
My Michelin's are used in North America and do not show "maximum tire pressure".

The markings are as stated by Mr_D; however, I was curious why people, and Tire Rack were saying the tires show "maximum" pressure so I went out and looked at the Jeep Cherokee's Goodyear Wrangler tires and sure enough it shows "maximum" pressure and not "minimum cold pressure" as shown on my truck size Michelin's.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe your Michelin's are French imports?

I just checked ALL of my tires on the car and coach. The car has a pair of Michelin's and a pair of Bridgestone's. The coach has a pair of Michelin's and four Bridgestone's.

All of the tires have Max Load and Max Pressure stamped on the sidewalls exactly as stated by the Tiretrak web site.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #49
Commercial Member

Any statement about "Maximum" pressure other than what is found as part of a "Safety warning" about tire bead seating pressure, is talking about the COLD inflation.
Tires do not fail simply because you use the "Max Press" molded on the tire sidewall. That wording is confusing to some. The issue is that the tire is rated to carry a Maximum of XXXX pounds when inflated COLD to the inflation shown.
For some reason the industry had some differences of opinion on how to word the load & inflation information on tires. They ended up with "Max Load xxx at yyy Max Press". BUT they failed to be clear that they were only talking about COLD inflation.

The correct inflation for Passenger cars & Light Trucks is on the placard on the door jam. This is set by the vehicle mfg to give the desired balance between ride & handling while always exceeding the GAWR.

I don't think RVs were considered by the committee. RV assemblers generally choose the lowest cost (smallest) tire that exceeds the GAWR when inflated to or near the tire's Max Load rating. In many cases the Placard for RVs specifies the tire COLD inflation at the same as the inflation associated with the Max Load capacity of the tire.

It is very important to remember that none of the inflation numbers being discussed are the HOT inflation. Tires get hot due to speed & load. The closer you are to those limits the hotter the tire will run and the higher the HOT pressure will be. If you have confirmed your actual tire loads via corner scale weights and do not exceed the max speed rating in RV application for your tires the tires should be able to handle the increased heat and the associated HOT pressure which may be 10 to 30% higher than the COLD inflation.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #50
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
From TOYO

But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!
Mr D Where did you find someone publishing Load/Inflation chart that allowed lower pressure for tires in RV application?

The wording doesn't sound as if it was a quote from TOYO but an observation you made.

Tags
tire pressure