Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #1

just wondering if anyone uses a add a room on there awning when you are set up for a few months in a rv park? all the pictures I have seen of snowbirds and winter Texans never show any one with them, maybe its a park rule? or the weather ? or no one has one, I would think having the extra space would be great if staying in one place for a few months.

gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
I had one on my 5th wheel. Notice "had". Wind came along and that was the end of both the room and the awning. I could not get it off fast enough before it flipped the awning up and tore the fabric. Then it snatched the arms right off the camper to boot. It was a sudden storm. I will never do that again!

Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
I had a Add A Room on the back ramp of a toy hauler in the past but only used it once or twice. That same toy hauler taught me a very expensive lesson, never leave your awning out while you sleep or even un attended long enough to go to a drive thru for breakfast. Wife was in the shower and me in the drive thru, you shoulda heard that call. " something just happened" "What" "I don't know but the whole camper moved and there was a loud noise" " Have you looked outside." Yes, but I didn't see anything, I thought somebody backed into us " Oh by the way, all the skylights are dark!"
Roger And Kim Goodwin
bout them DAWGS!!
Roger G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I do not have an add a room, but do have a 10 x 10 screen room we bought from Gander Mountain. The separate screen room still gives the extra space an add a room gives but gives the flexibility of moving the room to allow setting it up in better spots for each park we go into. The area under the awning is not always the best spot. Since we are full timers, we sprang for a good quality room (Guide Series from Gander mountain). We leave our room up for months at a time. We also bought several LED lamp ropes from Wal-Mart that lights the interior very nicely. We got 3 strings of white, a string of blue and one of red. This allows us to really make it look very patriotic while still very functional.

Heck, we are thinking of getting a second room that will allow our loungers and extra seating for guests and the picnic table to be screened. We have had it for about a month and wish we had it from the start of this season. The bugs (mosquitos especially) have been terrible this wet summer.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
I second that not being able to put your awning away quickly is the #1 reason for me. We never leave out when leaving during the day and I've had to go out in the middle of the night too many times to put the awning away, so I put it back each night and back out in the morning, it's really no big deal but buying a new one is !i If the wind wrecks a portable room it doesn't hurt your RV.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We don't have an add-a-room now, but about ten years ago we bought a used pop-up that included one. It was small, of course, about 8 x 8, but just the three sides of that thing weighed about 60 lbs! I installed it once in the driveway, just to check out the process, and never bothered again.

Now we fulltime in our coach. I've been toying with buying a screen room as mentioned above, but I won't be doing an add-a-room.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Have had one for 15 years, three different 5th wheels.
And have never had a problem with wind or rain.
In fact its nice to be able to block the wind with the
panels that roll down over the screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280097.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	44721  
1stCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've seen several in various parks over the years. Always thought it would be great if you were spending some time in one place.

However, I've had two awnings blown off so I'd be careful.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
I kinda figured that the weather was a big reason why I hadn't seen to many add-a-rooms, maybe Ill just look into a screen room, like others said its a lot better to have a screen room blow into another state then your awning
thank you

gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote