RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

add lock to battery compartment?

On my recently acquired 29' 5th wheel, the battery compartment under the nose only has the thumb latches, no lock. I understand you aren't supposed to have locks on the propane compartments for safety reasons, but what about the battery compartment? I'm planning to swap out hatch locks for ones matching my door keys, and wondering whether I should do that one as well, or leave it without locks and just keep stuff I don't care too much about in there.

Any advice from the experienced ones?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #2

www.ch751.com makes RV locks and they're great. I replaced several locks and they're all keyed alike.

Oderus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
IC2

If there is no propane bottle in there, for sure I would put a lock on that hatch but would NOT use any lock that uses a CH751 key. That key will fit something on almost every RV in every CG. Measure the existing latch tube length then match it up. As a note, I've just found Home Depot have a pretty good, inexpensive selection and do not use a CH751 key :https://www.homedepot.com/s/tubular%...20locks?NCNI-5
Old 06-04-2018, 09:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
If there is no propane bottle in there, for sure I would put a lock on that hatch but would NOT use any lock that uses a CH751 key. That key will fit something on almost every RV in every CG. Measure the existing latch tube length then match it up. As a note, I've just found Home Depot have a pretty good, inexpensive selection and do not use a CH751 key :https://www.homedepot.com/s/tubular%...20locks?NCNI-5
Yes, I've realized the "everything keyed the same" issue, as well as the "master key" issue for the door locks. While I'm not super concerned over security, some of the locks are worn and sloppy, so I figure I'll replace them all. The tubular key ones are an option, but etrailer has an option to use the same key for main door and compartment locks which I may use: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Locks/Gl...95-000003.html
Old 06-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #5
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon59 View Post
Yes, I've realized the "everything keyed the same" issue, as well as the "master key" issue for the door locks. While I'm not super concerned over security, some of the locks are worn and sloppy, so I figure I'll replace them all. The tubular key ones are an option, but etrailer has an option to use the same key for main door and compartment locks which I may use: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Locks/Gl...95-000003.html

The locks sold by Home Depot are quite a bit less expensive then those shown by etrailer plus you can get them keyed alike and they are often only a few miles away.

If you do choose the locks with a tubular key, I installed them on our last 5er and was disappointed. These were all keyed alike but even with that, a couple just did not work well with the key either hanging up or having to fiddle to make them open. I ended up going back to a conventional keyed lock

There is another option and that one with a combination lock. Great idea until you need to get into that locked compartment in the middle of the night in a downpour. Then the cost each is well up there.

Your choice, obviously, but whichever way you go, any CH751 lock is for sure not a secure way to go
Old 06-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
The locks sold by Home Depot are quite a bit less expensive then those shown by etrailer plus you can get them keyed alike and they are often only a few miles away.
The reason for the etrailer ones is that I can get the trailer door keyed the same as the compartment doors (and a truck box as well). One key to rule them all!

Tags
battery