Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2006, 02:19 AM   #1

We just bought a 2006 Mountain Aire, Gas, model 3743, with the Workhorse W-24 chasis. It seems to have less power and less gas mileage then our old 2001 Bounder. Has anyone added a Banks System to their Newmar gas rig? Does it make enough difference to bother with it? Any problems caused by adding it?

Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2006, 02:19 AM   #2

We just bought a 2006 Mountain Aire, Gas, model 3743, with the Workhorse W-24 chasis. It seems to have less power and less gas mileage then our old 2001 Bounder. Has anyone added a Banks System to their Newmar gas rig? Does it make enough difference to bother with it? Any problems caused by adding it?

Marcy
Old 08-22-2006, 04:00 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You might want to go over to the Workhorse Custom Chassis Motorhome Forum here on iRv2 and check out the subject regarding upgrading your engine programming. The following link Ultrapower evaluation

gives a lot of good information on what can be done with the 8.1 engine in the W-series chassis' likewise the Banks system can help but the Ultrapower is much less money.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:42 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You have a much heavier rig now, as witnessed by the need for the W24 chassis. It's no wonder that your mileage has decreased in comparison to the previous rig.

Neither Banks nor the Ultrapower is going to do much, if anything, to help on fuel economy. Might get you more reserve power, though. Banks upgardes used to help fuel economy on 80's and early 90's vintage engines, but modern gas rigs pretty much squeeze out all the mpg theycan already. Should have got a diesel for that weight of rig if fuel economy was a major concern.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #5

Hi, with regards to MPG I can't say I saw great improvement, more power for sure. I did read where one fellow's concern about putting a banks on the vortec 8.1 engine was that it might over torque the transmission under certain conditions. I don't know much about this stuff compared to some fellows on this site, but that is what I read.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 32' Brave on a W20 and have added the Banks exhaust and the Ultrapower upgrade.

You won't notice any increase in MPG with the Banks but you will have extra power going up hills.

With the Ultrapower we have noticed about a 1.3 increase in the MPG plus more power. It's really noticeable when you are pulling a hill. The transmission will stay in a higher gear for a longer period of time which would indicate the engine isn't working as hard.

As someone else recommended, go to the Workhorse Owners forum and see the Ultrapower thread. There are close to 800 responses, some good, some stupid and the rest are in between. Read them and make up your own mind.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #7

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. We are going to the Newmar International Rally, in Sept., so will see what they have to say or suggest. Happy traveling to all of you.

Marcy
Old 08-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Marcy, have had Banks systems on the Fords I use to own now have a W-22 Newmar KS. Was concerned about mileage on my KS as I was getting in the 6's most trips made. The ULTRAPOWER thread was of great interest to me when it first was started and convinced me to get my ECM reprogramed in Tenn at this years rally.
Going down before upgrade I was getting my 6.1 & 6.7 mileage that I always got. After the program mileage has changed 9.1,8.7,7.9. It has made an improvement of at lease 2 mpg. Has allowed Trans to shift alot less and thats with driving in CC most of the time. Brazels, Mike, can give you the info you may need plus it will cost you less than the Banks sys.
I liked the Banks sys on the Fords but they never gave you the mileage your looking for now with your Newmar MA.
One other thing have your coach weight and keep the weight as low as you can it helps with your ride and tire inflation.
As a Newmar owner you can become a Newmar forum member and not just a junior member, I will input for you if you like.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 05:44 PM   #9

We added the full Banks exhaust system to our 2003 W20 Workhorse chassis and it indeed made quite a difference in power, especailly in the hills. We are also considering Ultrapower .
Old 08-25-2006, 12:24 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amen to UltraPower helping --- those that got the tune in Tenn all seem to have gotten mileage gains and noticeable power increases --
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 AM   #11

Does anyone know anything about the "Ultrapower
System"??????
The Banks System is about $4000.00 installed, toooo much.
Pappie
Pappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Go to their website Brazels
Good information and prices.

As mentioned above go to the discussion in the Workhorse Chassis Section.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote