Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Adding a Gen Set Fuel Shut Off?

I have 2008 Onan 5.5 HGJAB Gen Set in the motor home. The OEM Fuel Pump is needing to be replaced. I have ordered the replacement pump and fuel filter (already replaced the fuel filter at the carburetor with the Onan mod).

My genset does NOT have a fuel shut-off. As long as their is a 1/4 tank of gas in the tank, it has a supply of fuel. My question is, has anyone installed a fuel shut-off valve between the fuel pump and carburetor? Is their a problem if I install one? My concern is that when I shut the fuel off to run the gas out of the carb, could I damage the carburetor or fuel pump?

Thanks!

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Bobby C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2017, 09:40 AM   #2

You can install a shutoff on the line to the carb.

The fuel is shut off at the carb, everytime the float lifts the needle valve into the seat, so it wouldn't effect the pump.

I don't think, shutting the fuel off before the pump, would cause any problems either, but a switch in the pump wiring would be simpler and not involve fittings and valves that could leak.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the prompt reply. The fuel pump is bolted to the underside of the genset with the wires I assume running parallel to the fuel line up to and inside the genset housing. I will trace the wires and check on the feasibility of installing a fuel pump electrical shut off switch.

2007 Ford Explorer V8 Towed
Old 04-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #4

Just a reminder that the gen sets already have an electric shutoff already there. All you would need is to install a switch in that electrical line to shut the fuel off. The pump is designed to deadhead so nothing will happen to it.
IF The whole purpose is to ensure the Carb in Mt in the fall, forget it. There will always be 1/4 to 1/2 inch of fuel in it even running it till it shuts off. The only sure method of making sure it's Mt it a bowl drain and it is not available.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Buzz57, so how do I locate the electrical line you reference? Are you referencing to one of the electrical lines coming from the fuel pump?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #6

If there are 2 wires to the pump, pos and neg, you should be able to put a switch inline of either wire to stop the pump.

I have run my MH generator carb dry 5 times, before a long storage, and it starts right up, when I get it ready to go. The small bit of gas left in the bowl, evaporates quickly.

I do this with outboards, mowers and portable generators, and they all start the next time.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Yep, I have a small 8kw genny for the home and use its fuel shut-off along with lawn mower, weed eaters, both boat motors etc. The difference and the reason for my post and thankful for yours and Buzz57's reply is that all of these other small engines do not use an electrically driven fuel pump. I also know that the MH gen set is much more sophisticated than these other small engines. I always run the gas out of these engines and wanted to on the MH gen set. I would also mention that I use ethanol neutralizing fuel stabilizer on the small engines, boats and the MH if it's going to be not be driven for more than a month.

I have all the supplies and will work on this project this weekend. Also, will be replacing rear sway bar bushings. Things never seem to be single problems. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #8

Install a snap switch as twinboat has indicated ,turn the electric pump off run the carb dry done ,there is a bowl drain screw on your onan 5.5 HGJAB and you will not have a drop of gas left in that carb if you follow this procedure .
tizzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=Bobby C;3533447]I have 2008 Onan 5.5 HGJAB Gen Set in the motor home. The OEM Fuel Pump is needing to be replaced. I have ordered the replacement pump and fuel filter (already replaced the fuel filter at the carburetor with the Onan mod).

My genset does NOT have a fuel shut-off. As long as their is a 1/4 tank of gas in the tank, it has a supply of fuel. My question is, has anyone installed a fuel shut-off valve between the fuel pump and carburetor? Is their a problem if I install one? My concern is that when I shut the fuel off to run the gas out of the =

SAY WHAT????
Could you refraze your statement. I don't understand why you think you need a fuel shut off??
You replaced the fuel filter did fuel run out of the tank? I think not!
When you run out of fuel you don't damage a thing with the Onan.

What you are saying about a 1/4 tank of fuel I believe is confusing you.
Lower than a 1/4 of a tank the gen set will quit when it starves for fuel because you want to have gas in the tank to move the motor home to get more gas.

Remove the fuel line start the gen set and run the carb out fuel and you are done
Do what ever you have to on the genset the fuel won't run out of the tank.
Time to eat
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Narampa (or whatever...) I chose to delete my reply to your questions. You should probably gravitate to a different thread. This one is to complicated for you.
Bobby C
Old 04-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #11

I'm on the road, I don't have any of my schematics, but downstream of your pump is a solenoid shutoff that works in conjunction with the starter switch. Push the start and it energizes open,once engine starts, it supplies current to keep it open. Hit stop and it de-energizes the ignition,fuel shutoff and fuel pump. On mine 5500 emerald it is approx 4 inches from fuel pump but location can vary a bit.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby C View Post
Narampa (or whatever...) I chose to delete my reply to your questions. You should probably gravitate to a different thread. This one is to complicated for you.
Bobby C
Bobby this is what you sent me.

Narampa (or whatever...) apparently you are the only one confused. Do you own an RV with a generator? If you do, do you use it monthly? If not, do you run the generator monthly? Do you know your generator doesn't have a fuel shut off and fuel is supplied until the main RV tank gets to a 1/4 tank? Doesn't sound like you know any of this? I am asking about damage that could happen when you shut the fuel supply off down stream from the fuel pump. If the pump continues to pump and can't move the fuel, could it damage the pump? It's only a 2-3 psi pump so I do t think so. But, I am adding a non OEM fuel shut off or switch to turn the pump off. Just trying to tap into the vast knowledge of most of the irv2 members. Thanks to the others providing good input.

If your still confused even about the 1/4 tank part, you should probably go to another thread. Or, continue to follow this one and learn something. Doesn't matter to me. Have a great evening!

Sorry I offended you. I have owned my class A with a Onan genset for the last 20 years.
I have been a Mechanic for 40 yrs.
Daughter In law works in the Cummins Parts Department.
If you need a Manual I could send yo one as a PDF also I could send a Parts Book.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Now I am going to answer one of your questions.
If you shut the fuel supply downstream from the pump. The generator will shut down won't it?
Would the pump not stop as I believe it is powered from the gen set.
Unless your unit is different.

I would really like to see someone else correct me if I am wrong.
I just don't understand why you need a fuel shutoff downstream from the pump
Old 04-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Now I am going to answer one of your questions.
If you shut the fuel supply downstream from the pump. The generator will shut down won't it?
Would the pump not stop as I believe it is powered from the gen set.
Unless your unit is different.

I would really like to see someone else correct me if I am wrong.
I just don't understand why you need a fuel shutoff downstream from the pump
The OP wants a easy way to run the carb dry, when putting the MH in storage.

Shutting off the fuel or shutting off the power to the fuel pump will do this. The generator will run, until the carb is out of gas.

No need for tools or spilled gas, when pulling off the gas line.

Tags
fuel