Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

Adding a MaxxAir Vent Cover

We'd like to add a vent cover to the Fantastic vent with the rain sensor in the kitchen. We have the BriteTek roof.

Is there any reason why we shouldn't?

Thanks!

traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I put one over our Fantastic Fan and we love it. We can leave the vent open in the heaviest rain and none comes in but still supplies ventilation. You probably won't be able to use the rain sensor unless you relocate it, but probably no need. Be sure to put a dab of self-leveling caulk on each screw hole when mounting it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did that two weeks ago plus the cyclone vent for black tank. No problem with either one.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #4

We added one on our other motorhome but the fan didn't have the sensor and it wasn't the BriteTek roof. We'd run the fan while we were on the road. It sucked out the hot air and kept the coach cooler. Being able to have the fan on in a rain is great too. It gets pretty stuffy quick without it.

Gary's To Do List is growing!
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We'd like to add a vent cover to the Fantastic vent with the rain sensor in the kitchen. We have the BriteTek roof.

Is there any reason why we shouldn't?

Thanks!
Installed two of these last winter. They are a snap to install. Tube of Dicor and a screwdriver and 15 minutes of your time. The white or black are a couple bucks cheaper but the smoke looks nicer IMHO....

Amazon.com: FANTASTIC FAN-TASTIC VENT ULTRA BREEZE VENT COVER U1500SM - SMOKE: Automotive
Old 12-28-2014, 05:56 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put mine on as well but I don't remember needing dicor as the screws went into the side of the fan frame, not the roof. No holes in the roof.....no dicor.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:36 AM   #7

I covered both of my fantastic fan openings with the maxx vent covers. Fantastic Fan with the rain sensors say, there not needed. But with them up there, That's one more thing I don't need to worry about. Maybe I don't trust the rain sensors.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

We put one over both Fantastic vents, and the standard vent. I agree with Mojo, they all mounted to the vertical edge of the vents, therefore did not need holes in the roof.

One other thing about the Fantastic Vent. We had problems with the rain sensor in high humidity areas, and the vent would cycle open and closed for apparently no reason. Disconnected the rain sensor and the problem went away. That is why we added the covers.

Ken Gasbarri
Old 12-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The covers are great, IMHO. previous coach had them on two of two fans Current coach I have one of two fans with covers. Due to tight clearances, one would have required removal of an air conditioner to get it installed under the edge of the air conditioner. I opted to wait to a time when the air conditioner may be removed for dome other reason.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #10

I have had the covers for a few years. Recently installed MaxxAir II covers. No holes in roof (originals did not have holes in roof either) and removal is easy by removing a couple of clip pins. Biggest reason for replacement was double the air flow.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:29 AM   #11

For me, the big advantage to the covers is that you can still run the fans DURING a rainstorm.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I put mine on as well but I don't remember needing dicor as the screws went into the side of the fan frame, not the roof. No holes in the roof.....no dicor.

Don't know about yours but mine are held in place by removing four screws (2 on each side) from the vent frame and then installing a metal right angle clip. The four clips have a pin that the cover slips over with a clinch pin to hold the cover in place.
Now, to remove the cover its just a matter of pulling the pins.

So, when removing and replacing screws during the initial install, I prefer to reseal them rather than taking a chance on a leak.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-28-2014, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
For me, the big advantage to the covers is that you can still run the fans DURING a rainstorm.

X's 2
Old 12-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #14

The covers are great but...

We have to Maxx air covers and the only problem is dirt and dust on the vent lids. I have to get on the roof and remove the covers several times a year to clean the lids. We camp in many areas with dirt roads so that's a major contributor. Wind pushes dirt into the vents of the Maxx Air.

Tags
vent