Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can't see how gasoline will lube internal parts. Diesel has lubing properties not gas. Anyway..................

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #16

I have heard of diesel being added to gas supposedly to lubricate the injection system. If that is what floats your boat go ahead, it's your engine. However, gas in a diesel is a whole 'nother story. Gasoline has a much lower flash point and will quickly hammer a kerosene burner to death even in small amounts. You will hear it and feel the loss of power.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:23 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by macadnphyl View Post
If someone is dumb enough to pump 35 gallons of gas into a diesel,
I would not listen to anything else said !
One of the smartest people I know accidentally put gas in his Duramax. He is still one of the smartest people I know.
Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Adding gasoline to diesel fuel lowers the lubricity, as well as the Cetane rating of the diesel fuel. Cetane is the exact opposite of Octane, and as such adding octane will oppose rather than enhance the ability of the diesel fuel to perform under compression. Todays Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel needs all the lubricity qualities it contained when it was made, not less. Yesteryears high sulphur content diesel fuel, lubricated critical fuel system components much better than todays low sulphur product. I certainly would not be adding gasoline to the diesel fuel of todays modern diesel engines.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselclacker View Post
Adding gasoline to diesel fuel lowers the lubricity, as well as the Cetane rating of the diesel fuel. Cetane is the exact opposite of Octane, and as such adding octane will oppose rather than enhance the ability of the diesel fuel to perform under compression. Todays Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel needs all the lubricity qualities it contained when it was made, not less. Yesteryears high sulphur content diesel fuel, lubricated critical fuel system components much better than todays low sulphur product. I certainly would not be adding gasoline to the diesel fuel of todays modern diesel engines.
Agree completely. New ULSD has much less lubrication properties, and adding gasoline only makes this worse. I personally add some additive for lubrication to every fill up on my MH and my diesel pickup. In winter time the stations change over to winter blend diesel so it does not have the gelling problem (as much, even ultra cold still can be an issue). Kerosene is one way to keep flowing in cold, but the additives also do this. Just use an additive designed for diesel engines.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #20

Years ago seals in a gas engine would be destroyed by diesel fuel, and visa versa. Today things have changed. Now ethanol is being blended into diesel fuel, just like gasoline is "cut" with ethanol. I have a lot of questions about my older diesel engines and this new "blended" diesel fuel.
A few gallons of gas in 30 gallons of diesel is not good for the engine but should not cause damage, but if it happens to be I'll add a couple gallons of pure bio-diesel to insure the lubricity is more than adequate to protect the engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
It is really simple. Diesel for diesel engines gas for gas engines. That was how they were designed. Would you mix orange juice with your coffee?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In Minnesota winters many people who bought GM cars with diesels added gas to the fuel tanks. some added to much and when they tried to start the vehicle they literally blu the engine up. There was a lot of warrantee claims and if the GM dealer even thought they smelled gas in an engine the warrantee claims were denied. someone said "gas in gas engines and diesel in diesel engines" Makes sense to me. safe travels ed
Old 09-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #23

Diesel and gasoline

Once saw a tractor driver add gasoline to his diesel at the station and he passed us climbing a hill out of in South Dakota with flames shooting out of both pipes. He never made it to the top.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Actually here is information from the horses mouth. About a year ago I put 35 galloons of regular unleaded gas in our Diesel Mh by mistake ( don't ask) and I called Cummins and asked what I should do and here is their exact reply " how much gas did I put in the tank" when I told him he said with that amount it would need to be drained out. "IF" iw was less than 10 gallons in a 100 gallong tank that would be fine and cause NO PROBLRMS in fact many drivers add that in about every 10 fillups to clean the injectors and lube internal parts. That information came directly from Cummins !
The only way I can interpret this to make sense is if this was a one time incident and, for one time, 10 gallons in a 100 gallon tank would be okay. Otherwise, I would certainly not put any gas in any of my diesels.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas