Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Adding locks to compartment doors

Question. I am looking to replace the locks on all our compartment doors to eliminate the master key effect since almost everyone has the same locks, but the compartment doors for the generator and propane bottles do not have locks on them. Is this a safety standard, or are we allowed to put locks on them for security reasons?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablewizard View Post
Is this a safety standard, or are we allowed to put locks on them for security reasons?
Jim, I am expecting that the answer is yes. if you have a fire in the gen set compartment you don't want to delay getting in there by looking for a key. It'll be bad enough already just trying to open the door.

I'm not sure but look up the UL and RVIA regs on these things.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Kablewizard, Our 2004 has a lockable gen door but not on the propane door.

Mike
Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #4

Jim, I secured my propane tanks with a plastic covered cable that is anchored to the back of the compartment and then looped through the tops of the two propane tanks. I drilled a hole large enough for a padlock to secure the end loop of the cable to the outer tank.

You are not allowed to lock up the compartment that holds propane tanks.
alfalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have to revise my previous comment. My LP door does not have a lock on the other hand my Generator set does have a lock in order to prevent unauthorized access. My thinking cap was on backward ... all my locks are keyed the same.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #6

With such flimsy doors, increasing lock security is a futile effort. With a simple screwdriver any RV compartment door may be easily destroyed/opened in less than one minute. The cable/padlock suggestion is valid. What you want is the thief to move to an easier target, because time is their main enemy. Per NFPA regulations, which are adopted by each state as law, no LPG container with a shut-off valve, may be secured as to deny access to said shut-off valve in an emergency.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #7

I had all my locks changed when I purchased the trailer-keeps out the rif-raf.I did not add a lock on the propane cabinet,I don't think that would be a good idea.The battery door does lock.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #8

Every door on my rig came with a lock except the propane compartment which also includes the diesel tank. Both of the little diesel doors (inset into the large doors) have locks while the full size door on the passenger side locks.

Since I wanted to eliminate an easy target for a diesel thief I replaced the keyless latch on the driver side with a lockable one.

While we do lock it while driving we never drive with the propane on. It is also locked with the propane shut off if we're off backpacking or on long kayak trips.

If in a RV park probably not likely that a diesel thief will hit but no telling about any other location.

Ed
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Like Ray...I never lock mine.
Just do a check on what a new compartment door cost.
If they want a water, sewer hose have at it.
Everything inside the compartments are material things. All can be replaced.

But I full time and don't leave it in any storage unit someplace.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After I had already replaced my no lock latch with a lockable latch on my gas filler door I decided it would be easier and less expensive to just put a lockable gas cap on the filler tube and if someone wants the gas it will cost less to replace the cap than the door. I have the same thoughts about locking up the storage doors, the doors cost more than anything I have inside them and it would be a lot easier to replace those things than the doors.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #11

My storage doors are keyed the same, but my two entry doors have different keys on my TT. Just a few weeks after I purchased the rig, a theif stole my two propane tanks and battery. After I replaced everything. I used a plastic covered cable and master lock to secure the propane tanks and another cable and Master lock to secure the battery box. I also used the cable lock system to secure my spare tire. The theft occured in my driveway, so no place is safe from theives. Since the upgrade, I haven't had any problems. But like they say " If they realy want it, they will take it"