Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #1

Adding seatbelt and wheelchair tie downs

Hey folks, anyone ever add a seatbelt and wheelchair tie downs to a class a motor home? We have a daughter in a wheelchair but are having a hard time finding a coach we like (within our budget of course) . So the other option is to add, or have a shop add a seatbelt and tie downs whereas she can remain in her chair while driving? Any information would bč helpful. Also we are located in Canada. Thanks in advance
Corvette joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #2

I am sure you daughter would enjoy getting out of the wheel chair and sitting in a more comfortable chair or couch for the trip. Most rvs have a pretty simple system for bolting down chairs and attaching seat belts. You can open up your options if you realize you can move or remove or add a chair or couch. It is more desirable to have a chair or couch behind the front passenger seat so the driver can see and converse without turning their head too far. You could even position a chair for her in between but behind the driver and passenger seat that is secured but can be removed once you reach your destination. She will have a good view out the windshield and be part of the conversation easier.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply mobilemike. She is unable to sit without lateral support as she has no core strength..she absouloutly loves her wheelchair as crazy as that sounds. We have a full size car seat (Columbia Medical) but she still prefers her chair. Can you explain the couch behind the captain's chairs? Sounds very interesting
Old 03-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #4

Couchs I've seen face out away from the wall.....but butted up against....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I am sure you daughter would enjoy getting out of the wheel chair and sitting in a more comfortable chair or couch for the trip. Most rvs have a pretty simple system for bolting down chairs and attaching seat belts. You can open up your options if you realize you can move or remove or add a chair or couch. It is more desirable to have a chair or couch behind the front passenger seat so the driver can see and converse without turning their head too far. You could even position a chair for her in between but behind the driver and passenger seat that is secured but can be removed once you reach your destination. She will have a good view out the windshield and be part of the conversation easier.
Some simply cannot be out of their wheelchairs. Just the way it is.

Op - Putting in tie-downs is completely doable but the problem you will face is finding a place to do it without crying about liability. Another problem with putting in tie-downs is anchoring them to something sturdy, which is most cases will be the frame. It can be done though so I would google "rv wheelchair conversions" and call some of the shops it brings up. More than likely one of them would help you with tie-downs or ez-lock system. I personally would try for tie-down points vs. ez-lock system so the ez-lock plate does not have to be in the middle of the floor tripping people. My wifes wheelchair butts up the rear of the dog house so it serves as a wheel block. The foot rests come off the wheelchair and she rests her feet on a larger cushion I made to rest on the dog house. I can barely fit between her wheelchair and the seat to get into the driver seat but I can. I have a tie-down point I put into the step well side and one more I put in the slide-out floor. They are far from the wheelchair location so I use heavy nylon tie-down straps to reach the chair. Additionally, I attached another seat belt to both driver and passenger chairs to form a lap belt for my wifes chair.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette joe View Post
Hey folks, anyone ever add a seatbelt and wheelchair tie downs to a class a motor home? We have a daughter in a wheelchair but are having a hard time finding a coach we like (within our budget of course) . So the other option is to add, or have a shop add a seatbelt and tie downs whereas she can remain in her chair while driving? Any information would bč helpful. Also we are located in Canada. Thanks in advance
A few years ago I installed a wheelchair dock on a pontoon boat, Pretty simple devices commonly used in hand control vans. I used a 6x6" 3/8" thick 6061 aluminum backing plate on the bottom side of the 3/4" decking. secured it with 4- 5/16" bolts. I think the whole system including adapter plate for wheel chair cost about $500.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the reply mobilemike. She is unable to sit without lateral support as she has no core strength..she absouloutly loves her wheelchair as crazy as that sounds. We have a full size car seat (Columbia Medical) but she still prefers her chair. Can you explain the couch behind the captain's chairs? Sounds very interesting
Joe, good luck finding a solution. I have a special needs son and have also given boat rides to wounded warriors and other special needs people. It's far easier in a boat than an RV.

I have seen a few RV's with a foward facing chair behind the co-pilot seat. I imagine you could remove than seat and use the attachments to lock in the wheelchair and also add a seat belt.

Best wishes.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #8

Thank you for all the replies. I will call Winnebago seeing they have purpose built ones to see if I can get any direction..
Old 03-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Some floor plans have a couch on either side of the MH just behind the front seats. I would prefer having the couch on the passengers side making conversation with the driver easier.

As far as a chair. Either the wheel chair or a lounge chair could be mounted in temporary mounts behind either the driver or passenger seats or in between the seats just to the rear. Depending on your mechanical ability it could be something you can do yourself with out the expense of custom instillation.

The actual tie downs are available retail with no problem. Fabricating a mount to the floor is a little more difficult but can be done DIY.

https://www.discountramps.com/qrtdlx...hoCGzUQAvD_BwE
Old 03-08-2019, 12:03 PM   #10

Joe, we took our jack knife couch out that already had seatbelts in place and replaced it with two recliners. If you have that option you could remove the couch, use some of the space for the wheel chair and the remaining space for a chair or recliner. That way the seat belts would already be in place. You would just need to figure a way to anchor the wheel chair.

It would probably be very expensive to have a shop do it since they will have to meet all state and federal regulations for such an install.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:20 AM   #11

Thanks again folks, it's looking more and more like I'm going to add the wheelchair tie downs myself. I have an extensive mechanical and design engineering background so I'm not too worried about it. I'm in the process of purchasing the hardware to do the install. I will post some pics when complete. Thanks again. Awesome forum.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:09 AM   #12
WDW

Go to / search a bus or school bus supply company as a source.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:17 PM   #13

If you are a design engineer, then design what you want. Then had it to a mechanic to see if it will actually work.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #14
Community Moderator

I drive part time for a company which transport individual to medical appts. and such We transport wheelchairs everyday and use mini vans and smaller buses. As a restraint system it is called Q-Straint. Check it out this may be what will work for you.

https://www.qstraint.com/

This place is also from Canada
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, wheelchair