Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #1

Adventures in By-passing Closed I95 in SC

So I jump on I26E from Columbia SC and right into a construction zone and heavy traffic (presumably because 95 is closed). Within five minutes some bozo pulling a construction trailer passes me and cuts back in front of me, perhaps one foot from my bumper. Within ten minutes a semi's tire shredded with huge pieces in the roadway, with resulting emergency stops from another semi across both lanes, plus me and everyone behind me. Fortunately no damage but I thought of turning around to the CG. Construction for another ten miles or so and then it was smooth till 95S. Didn't pass any evidence of the flooding
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Thankfully I95 southbound opened back up. We will be going to the Myrtle Beach area next week and Charleston area in November. Safe travels.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #3

We came down the same way last Friday. Traffic was real heavy, especially around Charlotte NC where we came to a complete stop for about 30 minutes. Seems that as bad luck would have it, in addition to all the traffic from I95 being closed, Charlotte speedway was having a race that weekend. But we did see a lot of areas that were still underwater and could only imagine what it looked like during the flooding. We stopped in one town where the folks talked about what a hard time they had. God Bless Them.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The News reported the Detour specifics.

Reminded me of 1998.. Wife and I headed to NYC from Detroit, parked in the garage at Lincoln center. Walked across the road to Juliard to meet with our Daughter... Walked to lunch and back for the concert then I pulled the car out and we loaded Daughter's stuff and the 3 of us headed back west since Darling Daughter had a Gig 10 am the next morning in Detroit area.. (We made it and even got in a nap... I might add I had the same gig, just different tasks).

Well as we were east bound a couple of west bound fuel haulers had a bit of a disagreement over rightaway.> THOUSANDS of gallons of gasoline and yes it went WHOMPH.. Burned a hole clean through the bridge they were on. So we Detoured.. Man was that a long day.. After Church (the Gig) on Sunday.. CRASH time Did not wake up till Monday.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #5

Most of the flooding was in the Columbia downtown area and we have a lot of roads closed all over Columbia If you went down I-77 around exit 9 near Fort Jackson it is real bad a lot of homes and business's lost it is a lot worse then the news have reported
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent