Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #1

Advice for a BIG decision!!!

Newbie from the Land of Lincoln checking in here. my husband had been a tent and pop up camper in a previous life (i.e. marriage!!) and I am a city slicker with a lot of the country that I've never explored. We've been putting of an extended trip to the National Parks/Pacific Northwest for several years, mainly because we can't seem to plan for the logistics of that long in hotels or vacation rentals. We've come to the realization that it would be most "doable" in an RV.

We have been narrowed our choice down (based on my husband's comfort level in what he is willing to maneuver) to around a 24-26 foot Class C or A. We found a 24 foot Gulf Stream Conquest Class C with a slide with 70 plus thousand miles on a Ford V10, and are going to take a 2nd look and possible drive on a 26 foot Safari Trek Class A with 33K on a Chevy 454. Both have 4000 Generator (one is Onan, one is Eden ??) both have manual pull down awnings on each side.

Comparing would be like apples to oranges as far as appointments, and decor, etc.

Neither owners could give us detailed information as to what came on the RV as standard, so it is very hard for us to try to use the calculator on NADA to find a value. Can anyone give us an idea of what a fair offer would be for either of these based on what information I've provided?!

Also... PLEASE chime in with any personal experiences you've had with either of these models.

Thank you!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Years ago I had Class "C"s and did not like the big cabovers. If you do not want a class A, look at the B-plus models. Just a suggestion.

Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
if all of us remember way back when.... when we first bought, we bought wrong

Some say buy your 3rd RV first - wish I could have - but two people have two different opinions and if Momma ain't happy.....

I've had trailers, 5th wheels, popups, class c's, and now a class a...
both new and previously lived in and to be honest, the MOST issues I had was with the last 5th wheel that I configured, ordered from the factory, and hated for 18 months until we could lemon law it there were so many issues.

So you have part of the equation down - buy used to try it out...

Make it a floor plan you can BOTH coexist in...
I never enjoyed swapping a table into a bed each night so consider that...

then go out and remember it's just a vehicle to get you out there to see some wonderful things ...

will it be perfect - probably not, but you will learn what you want each time you go out...
good luck!
Old 06-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
How about renting one for a short trip to get a "feel" for what you like and don't like and go from there.

If you find exactly what you want right of the gate you will be really really lucky!
boater1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #5

Take you time ... you'll find the right one ....
Check out the makes & models in the specific section on the forum ... I'm certain you'll find lots of good info .........

Our Blog
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandvmount View Post
Newbie from the Land of Lincoln checking in here. my husband had been a tent and pop up camper in a previous life (i.e. marriage!!) and I am a city slicker with a lot of the country that I've never explored. We've been putting of an extended trip to the National Parks/Pacific Northwest for several years, mainly because we can't seem to plan for the logistics of that long in hotels or vacation rentals. We've come to the realization that it would be most "doable" in an RV.

We have been narrowed our choice down (based on my husband's comfort level in what he is willing to maneuver) to around a 24-26 foot Class C or A. We found a 24 foot Gulf Stream Conquest Class C with a slide with 70 plus thousand miles on a Ford V10, and are going to take a 2nd look and possible drive on a 26 foot Safari Trek Class A with 33K on a Chevy 454. Both have 4000 Generator (one is Onan, one is Eden ??) both have manual pull down awnings on each side.

Comparing would be like apples to oranges as far as appointments, and decor, etc.

Neither owners could give us detailed information as to what came on the RV as standard, so it is very hard for us to try to use the calculator on NADA to find a value. Can anyone give us an idea of what a fair offer would be for either of these based on what information I've provided?!

Also... PLEASE chime in with any personal experiences you've had with either of these models.

Thank you!!

In that size, I would be looking at Winnebago's lineup.
1. View/Navion. Class C.
2. Via. Class A

All the above are built on the Sprinter chassis and are diesels. All will tow a car but are small enough to do with out a tow. All are capable of 12-15 mpg.

I have never owned any of the above but have traveled extensively with friends driving a Via and towing a Saturn Vue. Very impressive combo. They don't come with leveling jacks but HWH has a system that fit all the above.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #7

Before moving up to Class A DP MH's we had Class C's. The Class C's were from 27'-31', all had either the 460/V10 engines with different options. I felt that the Class C's were as easy to drive as a large pick up truck and easy to get used to. I would be looking for a Class C in the 29'-31' range with one slide out and a floor plan that you think will work for you. There are lots of good quality Class C MH's out there, just take your time to find a good one. One of the 'down sides' in most Class C MH's is the size of the various tank on them. While the tank sizes may not be an issue for week end camping and short tips, they can be a pain for the longer trips and boon docking.
As far as possible value, you can go one line and look up the brand to get what the MH came with and the possible options. No matter the brand, it is a good idea to have the MH inspected for possible 'hidden' issues. Also take a good ;look at the tires and the date they were made. If they are too old, work in the price of replacements to the cost.
Have fun looking at all the possible choices and having fun on the road.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
IMHO, the best way for you to see the western national parks is on an all exclusive bus tour. They plan and do everything. All you have to do is get on and off the bus. You'll see lots more than if you plan and do the trip as an RV neophyte.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
While it is nice to camp in nature and commune with the birds, bees and bears it is also not too bad to camp with full hookups and use the toad to visit the birds, bees and bears.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
IMHO, the best way for you to see the western national parks is on an all exclusive bus tour. They plan and do everything. All you have to do is get on and off the bus. You'll see lots more than if you plan and do the trip as an RV neophyte.
I guarantee that you will NOT see more on a bus tour. There are many places within a national park that a bus cannot even get to. A RV definitely can, especially if he uses his truck or towed vehicle to tour around.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We have found that bus tours will give you a great general education of things to see in any area. They will hit most of the high points and a good guide on the bus will advise you of additional things to see.

If you are willing to do all of the research and driving you can see more by doing the tour on your own.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #12

Before you purchase any used RV, have it professionally inspected ! cost is minimal compared to your first maintenance bill.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #13

We had a 96 Conquest that was 31 foot long. We enjoyed it and like the lay out. However at 31 foot I thought the coach outweighted the brakes, one of the main reasons we moved up to a class A. Maybe a 26 foot would be a better choice with the brakes. Have friends with a Trek and they love it. You would probably enjoy either one. Which one feels more comfortable to you when you go in? That's the right one for you.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #14

Here's a couple of things to know when using the NADA guide. When using this to price an RV just figure the base model with the mileage factored in. Do Not add for any options. Most of the "options" are standard and if they aren't they don't add much if anything to the value of a used RV. It will give you low retail and average retail. If you are buying from a private party, they are NOT retail. If they were trading it in, they would get considerably less than low retail. Consider this when looking at rigs at a retailer, especially ones that have had little to no work done to them.

A better way to value an RV is to call your bank or credit union and ask them what they would loan on it. They should be happy to provide this information. That would tell you what they value it at. You can do this even if you are not financing it.

Sometimes you have to bend these rules as we did. We found the perfect for us RV after looking for 2 years. We paid just slightly over what was low retail from a private party. It was still less than what our credit union valued it at. We got what we wanted in our RV which was very hard to find.

Tags
advice