Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Advice? Insurance, extended warranty & road service

Would love to hear all thoughts.. Is extended warranty worth it, we never purchase it for appliances or anything else. It sounds like it might be different for used RV's.
We are purchasing a 2006 42 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV. it is just myself, husband and three little dogs.
We will be FT for a couple of years as he travels for work.
Thanks!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They could be good for some things. Like when my microwave went bad they paid it but anything where rust or corrosion or wear is the cause of the failure like a rusty refrigerator like I had is NOT covered. Read the exclusions very carefully.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
They could be good for some things. Like when my microwave went bad they paid it but anything where rust or corrosion or wear is the cause of the failure like a rusty refrigerator like I had is NOT covered. Read the exclusions very carefully.
Yes, that is the tough part...trying to "guess" where the trouble might be.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wades: First, Welcome!! You're in the right place.

A search of the forum will unearth a full days' reading on these subjects. My thoughts:

1). Good, comprehensive casualty/liability insurance: essential. If you're fulltiming, be sure to engage only with a carrier who routinely handles this type of exposure. There are only a few of them, and it is most definitely NOT the same as insuring an RV for intermittent travel or camping. We've been with National Interstate for over three years with no problems.

2). Roadside Assistance: I've had very good experience with CoachNet, and I've been disappointed by Good Sam. You will find others here with the opposite experience. Whatever carrier you decide upon, buy their top level plan, the one where the word "unlimited" crops up everywhere. It will only cost a few dollars more, and eliminates surprises.

3). Service Contract: You will find many opinions here covering the entire spectrum, from those who understand insurance and those who don't, from those who can do the math and those who can't, and from those who know how to read a contract and those who don't. And each one of them is right.

When we bought our then 10 y/o coach three years ago I bought a 4 yr service contract, and I'm glad I did. My logic was simple: I was buying a bus full of ten year old stuff, and it was unlikely none of it would break. To date my contract has repaid me considerably more than it cost. I've had to argue with them a couple of times, but I've won my share of those arguments. Within the next three months I'll be discussing renewal. If you decide to pursue a contract, Wholesale Warranties is an upstanding, reliable broker.

Good Luck!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Wades: First, Welcome!! You're in the right place.

A search of the forum will unearth a full days' reading on these subjects. My thoughts:

1). Good, comprehensive casualty/liability insurance: essential. If you're fulltiming, be sure to engage only with a carrier who routinely handles this type of exposure. There are only a few of them, and it is most definitely NOT the same as insuring an RV for intermittent travel or camping. We've been with National Interstate for over three years with no problems.

2). Roadside Assistance: I've had very good experience with CoachNet, and I've been disappointed by Good Sam. You will find others here with the opposite experience. Whatever carrier you decide upon, buy their top level plan, the one where the word "unlimited" crops up everywhere. It will only cost a few dollars more, and eliminates surprises.

3). Service Contract: You will find many opinions here covering the entire spectrum, from those who understand insurance and those who don't, from those who can do the math and those who can't, and from those who know how to read a contract and those who don't. And each one of them is right.

When we bought our then 10 y/o coach three years ago I bought a 4 yr service contract, and I'm glad I did. My logic was simple: I was buying a bus full of ten year old stuff, and it was unlikely none of it would break. To date my contract has repaid me considerably more than it cost. I've had to argue with them a couple of times, but I've won my share of those arguments. Within the next three months I'll be discussing renewal. If you decide to pursue a contract, Wholesale Warranties is an upstanding, reliable broker.

Good Luck!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
Great information, so appreciated. My question on an extended warranty/service contract....are there 1 or 2 that are tried and true by members here on this forum. We would like to start out with the most comprehensive. This coach seems very well maintained with all service records. We, however know from our experiences that this is a 9 year old coach and to expect anything and everything to go wrong.

Good Sam & Coach-net seem the most popular Road side assistance.
Any suggestions for comprehensive/liability company's..?
Old 10-12-2015, 01:31 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm going to piggyback on this thread: I bought a 2005 coach with 147k miles. Every time I mentioned "extended warranty or service plan" to the dealership owner or his employees, they mentioned coachnet and good sam.

The day I went to pick it up, I asked the owner about buying a plan. He instructed me to "go online, there's all kinds online."

I am discovering zero plans that are available for a coach with more than 120k miles. Does anyone know of such a service for mine?

Thank you.
GearGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:02 AM   #7

My extended warranty is through www.wholesalewarranties.com and it's called XtraRide. They've been outstanding in handling any problems we've had. As far as insurance goes, we've been with Progressive for over 5yrs., and their roadside rider is only an additional $24 per year. We've needed a tow twice in 5yrs. and they've really stepped up each time. Once we were in Destruction Bay, Yukon Territory when our fuel pump went bad. The nearest tow was in White Horse 180mi. away. I also said I did not want a standard tow, but a trailer to put the coach on. They said no problem and one was sent. That round trip for the driver was 360mi., I would hate to have had to pay for that service. For an additional $24 for the rider, well let's just say they have me as a customer as long as were on the road.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, insurance, service