Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #1

Advice Needed on STORING our RV

Since we cannot store our RV at our home and we cannot afford a covered storage facility, we would like some advice on what we should look for when searching for a storage lot -- i.e., lots made of gravel, concrete, grass? Should we purchase a cover to protect the coach & awning from the sun? etc. Looks like we are buying a 28' Class C Coachmen! Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hello and welcome, If you can't store it inside, the next best is cover it and setting on concrete. Gravel and grass is always damp and can cause under carrage corrosion over time. Happy trails.....
Old 04-06-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't be too concerned about the ground, except if parked on dirt/grass you will have more moisture under the coach as opposed to concrete/gravel. Although probably rare in RV lots, you wouldn't want to store it around any trees.

Personally, I never have or never will cover my RV. My concern is moisture building up under the cover. Moisture is much more damaging than sun is. If I lived in AZ rather than MI, I might consider it. Also, a GOOD RV cover is pretty expensive, a cheap one won't last more than year or two. My MH is 14 years old, spent most of it's life in Florida uncovered and looks just fine. Others will differ of course, just my 2 cents.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Security was the first thing I considered when looking for a storage facility then pest control. I have a cover most people do not.

A good reasonable cover will last 3 to 5 years, cost 300 to 450, it will rip and it will chafe a bit. IF you plan to travel a lot taking a cover on and off may be a problem for you.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #5

Concrete #1, gravel #2, grass NO. Too much humitity under the coach.
Also check the whole area around any storage faclity, is it on a flood plane. Many sites are on cheap land , and it is cheap for a reason.
Security, fences , cameras & card lock.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #6

What do you mean by a "card lock"? Sorry -- definitely ROOKIES!
Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieRVers View Post
What do you mean by a "card lock"?
Magnetic key card, like in a hotel.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As to cover or not to cover definitely cover your tires, if you live in a desert environment I would cover it. The sun in a desert will eat your rubber roof your gel coat, skylight, vent & ac covers. I found out the hard way after seven years my 03 5er needed lots of tlc.