Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2013, 06:41 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
When you ask about a company as big as CW it always brings out the worst comments. I traded in a 5er for my current Class A at CW in Little Rock, AR and was very pleased with the deal. Their PDI was very complete, all repairs done promptly and no problems.

Was in recently to purchase supplies and told their GM had been sent to another location to clean up some problems there. With any big company you will find the good and the bad so just shop and deal smart.

Remember the salesman's job is to sale, not nessasarly place you in the perfect unit for you. That's your job! Don't rush this process.

One last opinion, buy used, there are lots of slightly used units to chose from.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #16

I have had two experiences with Camping World (CW), one was good and one not so much. Not all CW's are equal so I would not try to group them all together. If you have a specific CW in mind I would ask questions about that dealership.

I know you are looking for some dealership in Virginia but another did mention PPL in Texas which I go to for parts and supplies but never a MH. My parts experience has been great, very responsive.

If you are willing to consider dealerships out of state I would suggest the following dealer. I have not purchased from them but I know 5 others who have and they all speak highly of this dealer. Currently I am at the FMCA Great Lakes Regional rally in Goshen, IN and Total Value RV is one of the vendors so I did get a opportunity to talk to them. If I was in the market I would consider this dealer, very competitive prices and very little salesman double talk.

TOTAL VALUE RV OF INDIANA, INC
25610 COUNTY RD 4 East
ELKHART, IN 46514 US
Phone: (574) 262-4460
Fax: (574) 262-4243
Email: Hank@TotalValueRV.com
Website: Total Value RV #1 Thor Dealer, Thor Service Center, New & Used RVs, as well as offering services for Class A, Class B, Class C, fifth wheels, toy haulers, travel trailers, and towable RVs. Find the largest RV inventory in Indiana at Total Value RV De

As you can see they are in Elkhart, IN which is the RV center for many manufactures and tons of RV activities every year that would bring you back for future events.

As for service I generally get it done at the manufacturer of my coach, Thor. In fact I have an appointment at Thor on Monday to have a couple of items looked at. I always take my coach to Freightliner for chassis service and I have used an authorized service shop in my home town once to fix a broken fuel gage however I schedule my annual service at their main service facility in Gaffney, SC. My chassis service is 1 year or 15000 miles so the once a year can be scheduled into my travels without too much trouble.

What I am saying is you do not need to depend too much on some dealer to do all your service and help you maintain you coach. If it is something specific to the actual RV or some mod or update then maybe your local dealership could help but if it is for service/warranty for the chassis, engine, transmission or some other drivetrain item I would not take it to a dealership unless they are an authorized service shop for that item.

When you purchase a motor home it is not like buying a Ford where the dealer is the expert on all parts and systems. When you buy a new motor home you get a warranty for the coach, typically 1 year (non-transferrable) and separate warranties (transferrable) for the chassis, engine, transmission, tires and other drive train components. Then you have warranties for other items installed on the coach, A/C units, water heaters, frig, TV and so on, with different warranty periods. Your dealer can help with some of these installed items if you have a warranty problem but if you have a warranty issue with the chassis, engine, etc. they will most likely send you to an authorized service shop for warranty repair.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #17

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought our LEMON at Crappy World. 220K dollars had it two years, it's been down for a rear differential, entire fan cooling drive motor pump system, power steering pump, power steering gear, refrigerator, shower valve assembly, Sat Dish Turret, etc.

You get the idea. $23K worth of repairs. Not had the RV 13 of the 27 months we owned it.

If you buy from CW, get the extended insurance (warranty). They have reduced our 23K worth of repairs to $7,700. Still a lot and always a fight to get them to pay, but better than nothing.

I don't even buy TP from Crappy World anymore and just can't get past my LEMON. I expected maintenance on a DP, but not a required rebuild at only 35K miles.

In all fairness, we bought a very high-end coach that was used and had sat for a long time before purchase. Lost of systems to go wrong. Although I made them replace all the fluids and totally service everything at purchase, it still had been sitting and DPs (RVs in general) don't like to sit.

I HOPE I am the only one that got stung, but sadly I don't think so.
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #18

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJack View Post
I work for Camping World in Chattanooga, Tn. Believe me if you are not satisfied with anything you buy from C/W and can not get satisfaction at the local level all you have to do is call the Main office in Chicago and let them know your problems. It will be taken care of quickly.
We had and continue to have great service from Camping World.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:56 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Not all RV dealers are equal, this really applies to CW also. Some are great, some are OK and some are not so good. As with any business, it's the people who you deal with that set the tone. Try looking through this web site and it should give you an idea of how your chosen place to do business with sets with others who have dealt with that particular dealer.

RV Service Reviews
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #20

Crages List

In the end it will depend on what you can afford, what you like and what happens to be available when your ready to pull the trigger.

A good way to shop until you drop from the comfort of your chair is: craigslist > sites

If you read the RV post you will also gain some incite as to what is of value and what is not....
Old 09-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Like with any chain, there are good stores, there are not-so-good. It comes down to the employees, to me. At CW, unfortunately, there appear to be just one or two employees in each CW that "get it" and truly know RVs. The rest are hired order takers, clerks, and stockers, I guess. What I/you have to do is find the "one or two." When I'm able to do that, I am usually not disappointed. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrushl View Post
We bought our LEMON at Crappy World. 220K dollars had it two years, it's been down for a rear differential, entire fan cooling drive motor pump system, power steering pump, power steering gear, refrigerator, shower valve assembly, Sat Dish Turret, etc.

You get the idea. $23K worth of repairs. Not had the RV 13 of the 27 months we owned it.

If you buy from CW, get the extended insurance (warranty). They have reduced our 23K worth of repairs to $7,700. Still a lot and always a fight to get them to pay, but better than nothing.

I don't even buy TP from Crappy World anymore and just can't get past my LEMON. I expected maintenance on a DP, but not a required rebuild at only 35K miles.

In all fairness, we bought a very high-end coach that was used and had sat for a long time before purchase. Lost of systems to go wrong. Although I made them replace all the fluids and totally service everything at purchase, it still had been sitting and DPs (RVs in general) don't like to sit.

I HOPE I am the only one that got stung, but sadly I don't think so.
Sadly you're not the only one who bought a used LEMON from CW

We've gone from calling ours The Lemon, to The Rolling Turd (stolen from the movie RV with Robin Williams as the name fits so well).

We too bought a class A. Naively, we thought a very lightly used coach (2,300 miles only) that looked brand new was a heck of a deal.

We were wrong, and if we could roll the clock back and do our homework first, we would have either bought brand new, or a well used MH with all the kinks ironed out.

We've had the AC die on us, a hydraulic hose on the large slide-out burst (flooding the underneath storage compartments with hydraulic fluid and needing the carpets to be replaced), washing machine so badly fitted with careless installation the inlet hose was kinked allowing only a trickle of water in, and 3 times as much outlet hose used which was so long they'd put a join in - which leaked and flooded the carpet inside!), a leak under the bathroom sink, 2 awnings needing to be replaced as the motors have burnt out, the dash vents stopped working, the 12 volt socket died, light above the bed wouldn't work, passenger seat broken ... and probably the most shocking and expensive ... the washing machine was never plumbed into the grey tank at all, so all the waste water was pouring into the storage and out under the coach. All three tanks had to be removed so the plumbing could be installed.

Admittedly most of these problems were manufacturer's issues from lousy build and non-existent QC, but CW didn't do a full check either when the previous owners bought it, or when we did.

We've been stuck for a month in a hotel while we get all the issues taken care of only 4 hours away from where we started off.

We tried to get it into a CW for repair, but honestly, they were so useless, we took it elsewhere.

Frustrated, disappointed and fed-up doesn't begin to cover it.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #23

I dealt with Clem's rv in PA. They opened a new store in VA. The address is: 1132 Jefferson Davis Highway Stafford, VA 22405 Sales 888-394-6135

I bought a 2013 Coachmen Freedom Express from the last Nov. Lets just say I a had a problem on the way to trade in my old TT and they were great to work with. Clem's RV and Trailer Sales | Pennsylvania RV Dealer | Virginia RV Dealer
Old 09-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought used from CW.
Very nice friendly service, all designed to enhance the buying experience, AKA separate YOU from YOUR money.

They are like the used car salesmen of old. Anything they say needs to be carefully evaluated. If you buy something that you know you will need a little "sprucing up" plan on at least 50% more than you can readily see.

If you can get someone that has RV experience to go with you all the better.

Their parts and accessories are way higher than you will find on the net or even Walmart. A search here, show any repairs are also way overpriced by
what people were charged.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #25

We've done business with three CW's. Two have worked out great, one not so much. But I'm not sure on the bad one how much was their fault and how much was the fact that the unit just sucked

I can tell you that CW in Colorado Springs has done warranty and non-warranty work on all three of our MH's and they have done an incredibly good job. Not one complaint about any of their work. I think the trick is that we've never created an adversarial atmosphere with them and they've never tried to put anything over on us. A true win-win.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Camping World don't build them, they just sell them. All camping world stores are not created equal. When you make a deal get stuff you want in writing just like you should do at any dealer. Sales people sometimes forget stuff they promise so make sure they write it on the deal sheet.

The good thing about camping world is the access to a management ladder that might help you resolve any problems you encounter, and the fact that there are more than one if you are traveling and need a follow up on something you purchase from them.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #27

Depending on where in Virginia you are, you should check out Reines RV in Manassas. They have a great selection of Class As and all other RVs. I have yet to find a dealer I like more than Reines.

Bruce
Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #28

I really believe that CW has a few trained employees and mostly goffers that do repairs. Not to defend them but how many people do you think trade in a perfectly good MH with no problems or get rid of it and let someone else have the problems. I'm not saying used is bad just buy a warranty at least the first double of years in case something is not right.

Tags
camping