Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We bought our first RV, a new 31' class C Winnebago from a CW and thought we got a pretty good deal. Really didn't need much work done on it just one drawer would not latch. They couldn't get it right so I fixed it. No big deal and no parts so no cost to me.

When we were looking to trade up to a class A DP we went back to the same dealer and salesman. The amount he quoted us for trade in was ridiculous to the point we walked away. Ended up buying used from an independent dealer Colton RV in Buffalo, NY and they treated us just fine.

Right now the MH is in for service and after reading RV service reviews we drove two hours to avoid the CW twenty minutes from us. However as said all CWs are not the same so look here first RV Service Reviews

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
Camping World is a good place to order supplies from.
RedWing Nut

Many online RV parts and accessory places are less expensive than Camping World, (even if you are a President's Club member).
PPL is one example:
RV Parts and Accessories for Sale - PPL Motor Homes
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've already responded to this post once (#7) but I think a few more words are OK.

If one is making a, $100,000 to $250,000 or more investment in a product that we all know will lose at least 1/3 of it's value after you drive away from the dealer the first time what is wrong with investing even $500 to have an independent individual, technician etc evaluate the coach before you sign??? I'm at a loss why some would be so blinded to believe that a coach only 1, 2 or 3 years old would be perfect and trouble free. Even brand new coaches have problems and some are serious.

We all know that the sales person is usually only interested in the sale. They might have a lemon to sell you but you won't hear it from them. Think about it. If a salesperson works for a company that makes a quality product great. What if you are making your living working for a company that can't properly service the vehicles or the manufacturer begins to make a crappy product?? Do you quit your job or do you just keep on selling???
Sometimes you will find a caring person who actually calls you after the sale. Our sales person at Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City Iowa contacted us many times during the 12 week order wait. She has called a few times since we got home and said she would check in from time to time. She contacted the factory regarding some questions we had before we took delivery. She's has done a lot more for us than any other vehicle sales person has ever done.

I think it is all summed up in, "LET THE BUYER BEWARE".

Do your homeworkor pay the price but you shouldn't complain to loudly about the dealer. You can find out if any dealer does good or bad servicing. If they are bad make your best deal and get the coach serviced at another dealer or the factory. I got decent service done at a not so good dealer. They knew that I knew what I was talking about so they usually put their best foot forward. I wasn't pushy but they knew I expected quality work.

TeJay
Old 09-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #32

If I have a problem while traveling, I will ask a dozen locals before I will ever go into a camping world again for their brand of gee I have never seen this we will have to look and look and look to figure it out. Gets very expensive and you might get rubegoldberg fix that will have to be done right later. A very few actualy have techs who have rvs and know something about fixing them Many are guy who walked in off the street and fixed chain saws last job.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #33

Camping World bought out a local dealer within 15 miles of my house. I had used that previous dealer for several years and was unhappy to see them go and was apprehensive about CW. Having a major service center that close to my home is important, so I have used them twice so far this summer. They made some mistakes, actually several mistakes, but when I pointed out the problems, they did their best to get it right. They have a completely new crew and will need some time to get the organization up and running. I am convinced they are trying to get their act together and are not trying to screw me. I have not permitted their mistakes to cost me money, but it has come close. I want to cultivate my relationship with them as I hope to be able to use them in the future. My DP is in their shop now for inverter repair and some downstream electronics replacement. Their troubleshooting was incremental and I would have had to pay my service plan deductible three times ($1,000 each) but I had a schooling session with them and got that fixed. Took some creative math, but all is well.

I would like to see RV dealers and service centers adhere to the same quality activities that my auto dealer practices. Follow up phone calls and surveys as well as technician currency training programs. They listen and are willing to make changes to keep customers happy and coming back. We should demand that from RV dealers and not stop calling back until they get the message. Let's keep the pressure on CW and maybe they will fix what is broke.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #34

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. I feel like I have a good support teem here and it gives me peace of mind to have somewhere to go for help and support.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bought my Dutch Star from CW in Island Lake IL. Got a good deal and have had no Problems with the coach in 4 years. Jim
Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #36

As usual these forums are always a good place to complain about RV's and dealers including CW. People without a complaint usually do not post the "good" experience they had at CW. True is there are local private dealers around everywhere. Since the forum covers the whole country the local dealers bad service does not get posted on the forums. CW being across the whole country gets it's bad due to the size of it's organization. There are good and bad in the local private dealers also, don't let anyone tell you different. You'll get a good impression of the CW dealer you go to when you start looking at he RV's. If you don't like the way you are being treated, leave. But to blanket statement all of the CW's as being bad is pure [moderator edit]
Old 09-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #37

iRV2 No Limits Club
[QUOTE=mark5w;1740276]As usual these forums are always a good place to complain about RV's and dealers including CW. People without a complaint usually do not post the "good" experience they had at CW. True is there are local private dealers around everywhere. Since the forum covers the whole country the local dealers bad service does not get posted on the forums. CW being across the whole country gets it's bad due to the size of it's organization. There are good and bad in the local private dealers also, don't let anyone tell you different. You'll get a good impression of the CW dealer you go to when you start looking at he RV's. If you don't like the way you are being treated, leave. But to blanket statement all of the CW's as being bad is pure [moderator edit]

Glad you love CW.

The Wife and I were discussing this thread yesterday.
She stated, that in her 66 years she has never been so disappointed in any company as CW.
Why?
Lies.
She could write a book. Would not return for a free RV.
That is NO B.S.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well I've said it before and I believe it needs to be said again but maybe in a slightly different way. One of two things will happen. If Marcus pays attention to what is being said on this and the RV net forum and if he really has the power then some things may gradually change. It will not happen overnight and here's part of the reason why. There are 2,400 certified RV technicians in the US and CW already employes 1,800 of them. That's still not enough.
IF CW IS TRYING TO BE THE WALLY-WORLD OF THE CAMPING COMMUNITY and I believe they are then if they don't change some of their ways and practices eventually they won't survive.

We as the outspoken ones of the RV community need to do what we can to let those involved know the good and the bad of what we experience. If we don't then nobody will know who is doing good and who is not doing good. What is so wrong with that?? Is this a bad idea??? Am I being to idealistic??? Don't forget we are the consumers and we can and should make a difference.

When we travel on longer trips we will probably encounter 2-6 CW's. They are usually located along the traveled routes and for a good reason. The same goes for the Wally-Worlds of the US. I do believe it would be to our benefit to try and make those places a little better for our own sakes as well as for all RV travelers.

Here's just one thought that I'd like to get across to Marcus. No one dealer can do it all and there are many reasons for that.

What is wrong with all GM's across the CW community being asked to make a list of some decent qualified local repair facilities who work on those items that CW can't fix or can't fix it in a timely fashion because they are covered up with other repairs.

If you pass my home town and call me I can give you a list of 4-6 quality, repair facilities other than CW that can diagnose and repair a lot of stuff on your RV and chassis. It's about servicing RV's in a timely fashion using those tools at your disposal. If one place can't fix it and the techs are stumped what's wrong with reaching out to others??? To me that seems to be a reasonable approach.

You stop at a CW with an issue and they are covered up or don't have a tech that can fix it. They give you a list of choices of other qualified places in the area that you can call. They can make a ist because they deal with these places all the time and you are just passing through and don't have a clue which way to turn.

It just seems like a no brainer to me.

JM 5$ W
TeJay
Old 09-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #39

My point is there are over 85 CW stores across the US. Having a bad experience at one does not mean all of the 85 are bad. I've had the "lies" experience at one of our local RV dealers. Would never go back. Yet my neighbor had a good experience buying his 5th wheel. He's very pleased with the sales department and the service department. There's good and bad at all dealerships. That's no B.S. either.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #40

My advice would be to GOOGLE your Camping World that you are interested in going to for sales/service. See what others have to say about them. Anyone can sell you a RV. The don't make them, they just sell them. However a lot of people don't realize the service that needs to be done to them. Thats where the dealerships show there true colors. I wish I had Googled our local Camping World before I took my previous rig there. Good Luck
Old 09-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #41

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Well I've said it before and I believe it needs to be said again but maybe in a slightly different way. One of two things will happen. If Marcus pays attention to what is being said on this and the RV net forum and if he really has the power then some things may gradually change. It will not happen overnight and here's part of the reason why. There are 2,400 certified RV technicians in the US and CW already employes 1,800 of them. That's still not enough.
IF CW IS TRYING TO BE THE WALLY-WORLD OF THE CAMPING COMMUNITY and I believe they are then if they don't change some of their ways and practices eventually they won't survive.

We as the outspoken ones of the RV community need to do what we can to let those involved know the good and the bad of what we experience. If we don't then nobody will know who is doing good and who is not doing good. What is so wrong with that?? Is this a bad idea??? Am I being to idealistic??? Don't forget we are the consumers and we can and should make a difference.

When we travel on longer trips we will probably encounter 2-6 CW's. They are usually located along the traveled routes and for a good reason. The same goes for the Wally-Worlds of the US. I do believe it would be to our benefit to try and make those places a little better for our own sakes as well as for all RV travelers.

Here's just one thought that I'd like to get across to Marcus. No one dealer can do it all and there are many reasons for that.

What is wrong with all GM's across the CW community being asked to make a list of some decent qualified local repair facilities who work on those items that CW can't fix or can't fix it in a timely fashion because they are covered up with other repairs.

If you pass my home town and call me I can give you a list of 4-6 quality, repair facilities other than CW that can diagnose and repair a lot of stuff on your RV and chassis. It's about servicing RV's in a timely fashion using those tools at your disposal. If one place can't fix it and the techs are stumped what's wrong with reaching out to others??? To me that seems to be a reasonable approach.

You stop at a CW with an issue and they are covered up or don't have a tech that can fix it. They give you a list of choices of other qualified places in the area that you can call. They can make a ist because they deal with these places all the time and you are just passing through and don't have a clue which way to turn.

It just seems like a no brainer to me.

JM 5$ W
TeJay

We agree.
Example:The CW RV tech told us to ALWAYS run ALL tires at 10% ABOVE MAX pressure, as stated on the tire sidewalls!
That would be 88 lbs for a tire that states 80 lbs max. on all 6 tires.

Thanks to IRV2...I know better.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJack View Post
I work for Camping World in Chattanooga, Tn. Believe me if you are not satisfied with anything you buy from C/W and can not get satisfaction at the local level all you have to do is call the Main office in Chicago and let them know your problems. It will be taken care of quickly.

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping