Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
That is 6 laughs!
Tell them to expect a lot of calls.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #44

Jayco Owners Club
One of our sponsors is RV Upgrades: Motorhome Accessories, Camper Parts & Supplies

Old 09-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJack View Post
I work for Camping World in Chattanooga, Tn. Believe me if you are not satisfied with anything you buy from C/W and can not get satisfaction at the local level all you have to do is call the Main office in Chicago and let them know your problems. It will be taken care of quickly.
Ok you have number to call
Old 09-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmasters View Post
Ok you have number to call
Try 847-808-3000
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
OP with all the comments on CW both good & bad. If I were newly in the market for an rv I believe I would shy away from CW. I have purchased a lot of accessories from several different CW's from NC to FL. But I have never bought an rv or had service done by them. In my opinion they have nice stores with a lot of merchandise on the shelves, more so than most rv dealers stores I have been in. It's true you can buy this stuff online at a lower price & with S&H it may still be a better price, but if you need or want it now you pay for that convenience.
We have looked at rv's at CW & also a lot of other dealers that we did not buy from. A few years back when we just started to look at diesel pushers we stopped at an independent dealer near our home just to look, all the MH's were locked & the sales man who was just sitting on his golf cart talking with his other salesman could not be bothered to show us more than 1 class A when we told him we were not ready to buy. That dealer is now closed. My point is, there's not just bad dealerships with the CW name on the sign. Buyer Be Ware.
Not sure what part of VA you are in but as previously mentioned Tom Johnson's Camping Center has been a good dealership to deal with in my opinion. Besides being in Marion NC, they also have a dealership just north of Charlotte NC , in Concord beside the Lowe's Motor Speedway.
Good Luck in your search for a Class A & a dealer who will take care of you & your RV.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
mark5w,
I spoke with our local GM last week and there are currently 115 CW stores around the US. Last fall there were 100 and they hoped to be up to 125 by the end of 2013.
If CW is trying to be the Wally-World of the camping community they have a ways to go. We as consumers can perhaps have some influence in this effort. At least I believe we can.

One poster said that only bad experiences are reported. I don't believe that. I have read some good reports. After all, a poster usually posts on the forums because they have a concern and are seeking advice. Sometimes that advice is about where to get parts or how to repair something. Since the post started with a problem we tend to take it the next step to a complaint.

Don't expect miracles overnight. There is a serious shortage of qualified RV technicians and also in many other technical area. Almost any kind of technical repair person will require constant training. That will not come cheap and it will take time. I taught for 35 years and never stopped going to class and learning. I've also talked to many good technician and they told me that they had to spend at least an hour almost every night to stay current. All major automotive dealers have in-house and on-line updated training available for their technicians. I know because I used to go to the Ford dealer and did the on-line training.

TeJay
Old 09-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would NOT buy from CW. Period !!!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesely View Post
I would NOT buy from CW. Period !!!
You don't have to. Period- 3 exclamations points
Old 09-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #51

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
You don't have to. Period- 3 exclamations points
There are Suckers born every minute.!!! CW appreciates them.!!!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #52

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have purchased from CW and had very good luck but you must remember they are no different than pretty much any dealership dealing with man made products. They are people just like the rest of us and they have no idea how that piece of equipment was treated or serviced before they got it. There is no way to know the guy traded it in knowing there was a problem with the transmission or motor. Myself, I didn't take telepathy 101 in college either.

My company works with and builds machinery and who knows why some equipment fails and some equipment runs problem free. It was all built in the same place by the same people with the same process and we have machines that fail or components that fail. Some problems are obvious why they are problems due to a bad weld or defect in the metal. I do know that equipment that has been sitting for long periods of time is very prone to failing because of flat spots in the bearings but once you get through the bad times and repairs they usually get the kinks out. Sometimes it is jinxed and just continues to be a problem. There is almost always a reason why if you want to look hard enough.

I think the reason CW gets a bad rap is because they are the Walmart of RV sales. How many people in Walmart can tell you anything about any department they don't work in? How many offer you help or assistance while you are shopping? I didn't think so. Some people are natural talent and some are there for a paycheck. Sorry but in all things it is buyer beware and do your homework and look and look and look and keep asking questions until you are reasonably sure you have all the answers you need to make a decision. After you make your decision be sure to have some cash set aside to take care of any issues that should come up or get one very good ESP. My experience buying at CW has been great but I do my homework and document all that was promised IN WRITING!
Old 09-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
My CW purchases have been limited to a gas strut, 2 camping chairs and a few other small items we needed and couldn't get elsewhere at the time. I do my own maintainance, but if I needed something, CW would be the very last place I took it. Buy a MH from them?
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #54

Winnebago Owners Club
We currently have our 2010 Suncrusier at CW in Syracuse. We recently purchased it there and we're generally happy with the purchase. We had our full wall slide fail to close in a weekend trip after 25 days of delivery. It's been there 2 weeks. My complaint is that when I call to check on it I get a voice mail. They do not call back. The service rep said she issues so buddy that she doesn't listen to the messages let alone call back. I have to go there in person and even then no one seems to know what's going on. Verry frustrating!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwj212 View Post

The service rep said she issues so buddy that she doesn't listen to the messages let alone call back. I have to go there in person and even then no one seems to know what's going on. Verry frustrating!
And now you know why the people in the know avoid CW like the plague.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #56

Ford Super Duty Owner
Alan,
Great perspective and comments, well said. Every company has growing pains. They all have problems and issues. If CW wants to be the Wally World of the camping community they have some work to do. Currently they are positioning themselves to do just that. Their stores are located along the well traveled routes. When we travel we will pass within a few miles of 3-6 CW's. With 115 stores now and aiming for 125 by the end of the year I hope they do improve. It would be to all RV travelers benefit if they did.

Also be aware that each CW is run by a different GM. If corporate monitors these and other forums they will know the locations that are doing the job and those that are not. They have to monitor the operations of each store financially as well.

I said it and so did Alan, "Let the buyer beware." We needed some supports for under the slide and CW had them. We were on the road so that's where we got them. They were reasonably priced. In this day and age there is no reason to not get good prices on anything you might need. Unless time or convenience is part of the process.

We tried to buy our new coach from CW but they could not match the prices we got at another place. So we didn't buy from CW. We may have to use them for warranty work in the future. If time permits we may stop at the factory in Iowa for warranty work on large items that may not be within the scope of CW's technicians.

As far as those of us who may use CW for items or service being, "Suckers." well I guess every one is entitled to an opinion. I'm sure glad when I made mistakes as a teacher I wasn't condemmed by my students, fellow teachers and principal. Over time and many, many mistakes I became a very good and well respected automotive instructor. I would match my program and success against any HS program in the country.

IMHO The real measure of a company is will CW listen to the consumer and work to improve what they learn and still keep the doors open. The consequences of not listening will be lower profits. Eventually there will be consequences if they don't listen. Maybe Marcus needs to be on "Undercover Boss." The new season is beginning I think next week.

TeJay

Tags
camping