Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2010, 10:05 AM   #15

Newbie here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
I can't imagine a trip to Alaska without sightseeing. We were there 3 years ago (5 month trip) and I would go back in a minute for a 7 month run if my health allowed. Loved every minute of the trip.

I'd like to know what it was that you enjoyed so much? I have heard the roads are not good, but the wildlife was fantastic. Is that it? The mooses and the antelopes and deersies? We want to visit Alaska but are thinking of a cruise instead of driving our 40' diesel pusher on what I have heard are unimproved roads. Love to hear any input on that.
CruzyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
Powerboatr why aren't you going 2010?
court
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzyCat View Post
I'd like to know what it was that you enjoyed so much? I have heard the roads are not good, but the wildlife was fantastic. Is that it? The mooses and the antelopes and deersies? We want to visit Alaska but are thinking of a cruise instead of driving our 40' diesel pusher on what I have heard are unimproved roads. Love to hear any input on that.
We enjoyed everything about Canada and Alaska. Most of the scenery was outstanding, wildlife was abundant, if one takes the time to look. There are stretches where the scenery is not spectacular, but there is always new things to see just up the road. Speaking of roads, we drove the entire Alaska Highway as well as most of the other roads in AK and found most of them just as good as those in the lower 48. Yes, there were areas of frost heaves and stretches of gravel, but other than driving slow, they were no big deal for me. There is mud and dust in certain areas depending on the weather. But, for the most part, I would not consider the roads to be unimproved.

Go, you'll enjoy it.

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzyCat View Post
The entire state is grandeur and glory in and of itself. The roads are VERY good. I talked with an idiot who was complaining that he damaged his 5er from the bouncing. I asked him how fast he was driving and he said 70 or 75. Good lord, the speed limit is posted at 30 or so. What did he expect.

Sure there are frost heaves but they are posted and pretty much repaired by July/August. We drove it in a 35' class "A" and never had a problem

The wildlife is spectacular but I gather from your condescending names for them that wildlife is not your bag. Perhaps you would rather see 70 storey office buildings and millions of people. Denali would bore you.

Your loss!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
i am going to alaska in june or july, i am new to the rv set. we have a 40 foot monoco windsor and plan to tow our jeep. any advice or suggestios for us. i will be working for 13 weeks up there.
themoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
We spent almost four months in the Yukon and Alaska in 2007 and loved it. We drove a 31' class A and had a toad. Would never consider doing the trip without a toad unless you are in a truck camper or small class B. The opporunities to explore are great. Dawson City, Denali, Chicken, Arctic Circle, Homer .....
Take your time and enjoy.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:03 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hey, "themoneypit"!! We did the Alaska trip as well in 07 in our 40' Mtn. Aire MH, towing Honda Element w. canoe on top. There are SO many suggestions we could make, but it'd be overwhelming. It might be better if you can first describe the route in, around, and out, that you're currently thinking about and folks might then make related suggestions.

One thing though, remove and leave at home, or be prepared to tie up that long, shiney, MONOCO, mud flap hangin at the rear of your rig. If your interested, I'll relate what I found out from the "sperts" (experts . Just know, you're about to experience one of the GREATEST trips you'll ever do.....it's FABULOUS up there.
Steve & Lynette
Old 01-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
I would say definitely take a toad. Saves some wear and tear on the RV and gives you the flexibility to do more than travel the main roads and sit in the campgrounds. Didn't see many towns in Alaska that had RV friendly parking.
sharbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #23

I'd vote for taking a toad. We are leaving for Alaska at the end of May. Our toad is a brown Honda CRV. Hope to see some of you along the way....mdwy http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif
mdwy is offline   Reply With Quote