Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwman113 View Post
It scares me too. For 10k I can afford to be scared. Obviously I'm don't want to throw money away but I believe this would be a good vehicle to play around with and figure out if I really want to get into a RV lifestyle.

I 100% understand the issues that could come with these vehicles.
10k to buy the rig, but the remodelling isn't going to be cheap either. If you can do it all on your own, great, but maybe they'll come a time when you'll need "expert" help. Materials are not a drop in the bucket either. I'm just sayin'. Why not just rent one for a week and see how you like it?
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
10k to buy the rig, but the remodelling isn't going to be cheap either. If you can do it all on your own, great, but maybe they'll come a time when you'll need "expert" help. Materials are not a drop in the bucket either. I'm just sayin'. Why not just rent one for a week and see how you like it?
Seems pretty obvious to me... Renting a motorhome this size for the week is at least 2k. rvshare.com check it out yourself if you don't believe me. But there is a huge difference in renting one and owning and modifying whatever I like for the foreseeable future. Did I mention owning it debt free?

I am a fabricator by trade so not only am I not concerned about any refurbishment but it actually sounds like a fun project to me. My wife is already excited about doing the upholstery and curtains.

The only expert help I will need is on the engine. I am looking for a Gas engine specifically because I can work on that myself and fix 95% of any issues.

You're assumptions seem to not apply in this scenario.
dwman113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #17

I'd be partial to the Itasca. I have a 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U and it's a quality rig. Other than the normally expected issues of a rig this age, I had a problem with a number of leaking hydraulic hoses on the front slide. There was an issue in the early 2000s with faulty ferrules (where the fittings are swaged onto the hoses) on the HWH hoses. If you're up to it, it's not doable as a DIY job. It's not unlike replacing an bleeding a brake line when we used to do this kind of stuff on our cars. If you're going to have it done, it's going to be cheaper if you don't piecemeal it so make sure all the leaky hoses are identified. Exact replacements are available from HWH. I'd suggest replacing both hoses of a pair even if only one looks bad. Note that many of the hoses will seem to be excessively long. This is by design and don't be tempted to neaten things up with shorter hoses, use exact replacements. The numbers are on white plastic sleeves near the fittings. If you can't read them, take photos with a cell phone or digital camera and adjust the contrast.

Also, read up on the Winnebago leaky windshield issue. If it's extensive, repair can cost thousands. IRV2's sister site, Winnieowners.com has a lot of info on this. If the damage isn't bad, the leak can be stopped with Eternabond tape. Regardless of which MH you like, be especially careful about any signs of water leaks.

Whatever you buy, be liberal in estimating what it will cost to bring things up to par. Barring any significant mechanical or windshield issues or tires, $5,000 isn't unreasonable. I'd budget for tire replacement now or shortly if the tires are older than five or six years old. And, despite the hype, IMHO, you don't need to spend the premium price for Michelins.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #18

IMHO there are a couple of things:
1. I agree that if you figure about $5K that should cover most things provided you have gone over the MH in detail looking for signs of leaks and other things. If it looks great, just add $5K in your budget to fix, modify and (if you are like me) just having fun upgrading stuff!
2. I would go for one with a slide out. I know for us it made all of the difference in “livability” just having a small slide out.
3. Finally, I like the Georgie Boy first - just my personal preference.

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #19

No info re specific Mfg / models etc but if it were me and I was considering an older gasser (which I'm not against - its an inexpensive way to get into MHing and see if it works for you) I would do or have done a compression check to see what kind of shape the engine is in.
You can learn enough to possibly toss or favor one or more you like the looks & layout of.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #20

Quote:
What is this site? Have not seen it before. Is it sale by owner or dealership?
It's not a dealership. Private parties take their RVs there to sell. We did and it sold within a month to someone who flew in from Florida to buy it. We set our price and any dickering or questions are between the buyer and seller. PPL is just a go-between for the two. They do a LOT of business.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
However I am concerned about obtaining parts.
No problem with parts. The vast majority of chassis parts will be available at most corner auto stores.

Coach parts are common across the majority of builders.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:20 PM   #22

I don't know what your budget is, but personally today in 2019 I would be looking for something a couple of years newer, and a step or three up in initial build quality, something with full body paint, and either an Aluminum or Fiberglass roof, not a TPO or EPDM rubber membrane roof. The Workhorse chassis platform got a lot better after the 8.1L engine was introduced in 2001, particularly the W series chassis coaches unless you are considering a sub 30 ft model without slides in which case the P series does ok. For Fords the magic date for chassis improvement was about 2006, though again after 2001 with a 6.8L will likely be a big performance improvement over the Ford 460 as long as you are aware of the spark plug issue.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:38 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Seems pretty obvious to me... Renting a motorhome this size for the week is at least 2k. rvshare.com check it out yourself if you don't believe me. But there is a huge difference in renting one and owning and modifying whatever I like for the foreseeable future. Did I mention owning it debt free?

I am a fabricator by trade so not only am I not concerned about any refurbishment but it actually sounds like a fun project to me. My wife is already excited about doing the upholstery and curtains.

The only expert help I will need is on the engine. I am looking for a Gas engine specifically because I can work on that myself and fix 95% of any issues.

You're assumptions seem to not apply in this scenario.
My assumptions don't "apply" one way or the other. It's not my money, and in the end you gotta do what makes you happy. I didn't come on here asking for your input, you did. I gave mine. That's why we have this website. All things considered 2K is not a lot...to me. But to some it might be. I'm just brainstorming. Personally I think your project is going to be a tad more expensive than you think. But hey, who cares? You're Happy right? that's all that matters. I wish you the best.
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:43 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
My assumptions don't "apply" one way or the other. It's not my money, and in the end you gotta do what makes you happy. I didn't come on here asking for your input, you did. I gave mine. That's why we have this website. All things considered 2K is not a lot...to me. But to some it might be. I'm just brainstorming. Personally I think your project is going to be a tad more expensive than you think. But hey, who cares? You're Happy right? that's all that matters. I wish you the best.
Thank you for the input.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:50 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I don't know what your budget is, but personally today in 2019 I would be looking for something a couple of years newer, and a step or three up in initial build quality, something with full body paint, and either an Aluminum or Fiberglass roof, not a TPO or EPDM rubber membrane roof. The Workhorse chassis platform got a lot better after the 8.1L engine was introduced in 2001, particularly the W series chassis coaches unless you are considering a sub 30 ft model without slides in which case the P series does ok. For Fords the magic date for chassis improvement was about 2006, though again after 2001 with a 6.8L will likely be a big performance improvement over the Ford 460 as long as you are aware of the spark plug issue.
Thanks for the advice. I could go more but honestly my thought is, getting into a coach around 10k with expecting to put in 5k maintenance. Putting 20k miles on it and if all goes well and my wife and I can transition to this lifestyle full time I'll likely sell it and upgrade to a 80k to 100k unit.

I don't mind increasing the budget slightly but I want to make room for repairs and if I get a 15k to 20k unit and still have to put 5k into tires and what not.

It's all relative to what I find for sure. The good side is I have no rush and the right deal will fall into my lap. It always does. There is an insane amount of inventory in Texas. I also only really want a unit from North Texas. I know how snow and salt water hurts a vehicle over time and I have found units around here that have been stored inside and the chassis has zero rust.

Also just because these units say 12k or 13k doesn't mean somebody won't take 7500 cash.... So again it's all relative.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:03 PM   #26

Pretty sure cash is the only way you are getting any of these.
I would look st the itssca and Georgia boy, unless you gatta have that VCR in the last one.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice