Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Advice to RV Manufacturers

Today I answered a survey for goRVing.com. The last question was:
Is there any final advice you’d like to give to RV manufacturers so that they might build better products and services to serve you?

My response:
Build a better service network, similar to those used by auto manufacturers. It is difficult to find qualified people to work on an RV, far more difficult than it has to be. For example, I can take go to any Ford dealer and not be concerned about the quality of their work. But with RVs, there is no equivalent assurance of quality. You're really just putting down your money and taking your chances.

What advice would you give RV manufacturers?

VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Inspect it as if you just bought it ( before it leaves the factory )

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Stop using tires that meet the bare minimum in terms of weight. As soon as you get "tire smart" you swap out the Original tires for "proper tires".
Old 02-25-2015, 05:57 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the problems with Motor homes is they do not have a single service center.

I mean, the chassis,, May be serviced by GM, or Ford, or Freightliner or ______ (You fill in the blank) the engine, all the above plus cummins, Detroit Diesel, CAT and more.

Then we have the house.. now the floors, ceiling and walls are fairly generic most anyone can service those but the TV,, Toshiba, Sony, Phillips, Lousy Goods (LG)? The Fridge, Dometic/Norcold, Furnace and water heater, Each, Atwood or Surburan, And those are just a sampling, Mirrors, Doors, Air conditioner, Microwave (mine is an DOMETIC on the cover, Lousy Goods with Modifications by me inside (it works now, thanks to the mods, but like all LG products It had problems when new).

And the list goes on.. Thus you have many, many, many different service centers,, Kind of hard for any one shop to do it all.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #5

You can write and call and pound your fists until they turn pink, but they won't do anything that adds cost.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #6

As long as we keep buying them they will keep doing the same thing. To me the service part is the worst.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #7

Similar to what has been mentioned already and that is to use qualified and customer service oriented dealers to sell the products and know what they are talking about when the talk. I can not get over how inept some of the RV dealers are.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
How about design engineers that have actually used the products. They should be long time RV'ers in order to have the job.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
How about design engineers that have actually used the products. They should be long time RV'ers in order to have the job.
Frank

Nice dream! They are probly young and cheaper. Long timers are out with us fulltimers.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:43 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Don't keep making RVs with the problems left for warranty. It seems all RVs have a slew of problems when they leave the factory. Many of these problems are seen, but ignored because it's cheaper having these fixed under warranty because fixing it during inspection would slow down the next unit in line, which probably has the same problems.

Inspect them well (mentioned above) and fix the problems found before they leave the factory.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:12 AM   #11

Will I disagree about the inspection process! From my experience as a vehicle project engineers you cannot I repeat you cannot inspect in quality of the finish product.

First: you must design a quality design that can be replicated into the manufacturing process. Then you must train the workforce to be their own inspectors and build a quality product. And not pass on any defects down the road for a line runner to fix; never ever happens that the line runner will catch everything.

I believe that some factory work on a piece work system on the components and to me this is the wrong system to have in place since this will breed in quality defects. The worker is paid base on pieces completed and not in the quality of work that is completed of that component.

Jim W.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:12 AM   #12

Lots of ideas here.
Now all ya gotta do is create a document and overheads and financial impact data and get the right folks into a room and convince them. Otherwise, no changes.
Until then, you are just posting stuff, eh?

Old 02-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Lots of ideas here.
Now all ya gotta do is create a document and overheads and financial impact data and get the right folks into a room and convince them. Otherwise, no changes.
Until then, you are just posting stuff, eh?
^^^ What Dave said! Our use and recommendations to all the manufacturers falls on deaf ears until the lack or control of QC affects the bottom line. Then and only then do they react.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #14

I think people would be suprised how many manufacturers of RV'S and accessories are on the forums. I've seen many times they have stepped in on post and helped people. If a good idea comes up on a forum it will likely make its way into production. I also agree with Jimcumminsw quality is designed in, poor designs are merely fixed long enough to sell. I'd prefer one that didn't have to be patched up to get off the lot.

Tags
advice