Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 07:44 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife just had surgery done in South Korea. Cost $3,000, took 3 hours, no hospital stay and no problems. Same surgery in the US $12,000, 5 hours, 3 days in hospital. She gets all of her dental work done there also. She has no insurance, she is 63, we pay cash.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhornsun View Post
No amount of insurance will cover you for a catastrophic illness like cancer. Many people have hit the hidden limit set internally by the insurance companies and then they have no coverage to continue treatment and that is when they lose their savings and their home..
What is this hidden limit? Is that the same as "lifetime limit of coverage"? Shouldn't it be clearly stated on the policy?

Old 06-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #17

You can get catastrophic medical insurance for any amount you wish. It is all stated in the policy. It is a very good option for those who are and expect to stay healthy. You self insure on the routine things which in many cases turn out to be less than the premiums. The main difference is the mandates which are now required many places and everywhere in ObamaCare. Everyone has to pay for them even if you don't use them. I know I will not need drug addition care, pregnancy care, psychology care, ETC, but will have to pay for them. I am all for a cafeteria plan where I can pick and choose what I want like auto insurance. The term discriminating against those who have preexisting conditions sounds so good, but what it really means is transferring the cost of their expensive care from them to the well folks. Many of these prexisting conditions are do to lifestyle choices like smoking, obesity, drinking. ETC. I think everybody should pay for their own problems. The whole concept of insurance is paying for risk. Those who have risky behavior should pay more. Ever had a teenage driver get a speeding ticket and see what happens to their insurance rates.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Many of these prexisting conditions are do to lifestyle choices like smoking, obesity, drinking.
This is just wrong. My late mother was 6 years old when she was diagnosed with Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes. She was never overweight, watched her diet like a hawk, took insulin at least twice a day and lived to be 74. She was a world-renowned medical researcher and contributed much to the medical field.
She had about as much of a pre-existing condition as you could find. None of which was caused by "lifestyle choices".
Do you think she could have gotten health insurance today?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #19
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff

This is just wrong. My late mother was 6 years old when she was diagnosed with Type 1 (juvenile) diabetes. She was never overweight, watched her diet like a hawk, took insulin at least twice a day and lived to be 74. She was a world-renowned medical researcher and contributed much to the medical field.
She had about as much of a pre-existing condition as you could find. None of which was caused by "lifestyle choices".
Do you think she could have gotten health insurance today?
Type 1 is the rare exception, a long ways from the rule
Old 06-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #20
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards
You can get catastrophic medical insurance for any amount you wish. It is all stated in the policy. It is a very good option for those who are and expect to stay healthy. You self insure on the routine things which in many cases turn out to be less than the premiums. The main difference is the mandates which are now required many places and everywhere in ObamaCare. Everyone has to pay for them even if you don't use them. I know I will not need drug addition care, pregnancy care, psychology care, ETC, but will have to pay for them. I am all for a cafeteria plan where I can pick and choose what I want like auto insurance. The term discriminating against those who have preexisting conditions sounds so good, but what it really means is transferring the cost of their expensive care from them to the well folks. Many of these prexisting conditions are do to lifestyle choices like smoking, obesity, drinking. ETC. I think everybody should pay for their own problems. The whole concept of insurance is paying for risk. Those who have risky behavior should pay more. Ever had a teenage driver get a speeding ticket and see what happens to their insurance rates.
Spot on, couldn't agree more!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #21

Quote:
This is just wrong.
I said many, not all. Many is correct. Most is also probably correct. Even for those preexisting conditions that are congenital, I firmly believe that they should be paid for by the person who has them rather than those who do not have them. The fact remains that many preexisting conditions are caused by lifestyle choices. I have a few myself and don't expect others to pay for them.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #22

I agree that many or most pre-existing conditions are preventable, and that some are just the luck of your family tree. I have also noticed that those with cadillac insurance plans - those plans that have a $10.00 or $20.00 co-pay for everything - run to the doctor instead of waiting it out to see if a doctor is warranted. Many times whatever is ailing you runs its course and is gone. Not only does that contribute to higher premiums in the long run, it can affect your pre-existing condition status if you ever try to change insurance. This happened to me years ago by visiting a chiropractor a few times. When I changed insurance (individual plan-not group), they disallowed my back for ANY reason. I think long and hard before I go to the doctor, plus we're self insured for the "smaller" stuff with a HSA so that makes me think about if a doctor is warranted or say no to an expensive test that I don't think is really necessary.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
I retired at 51 from the County of San Diego, took their Cobra for my wife and I, it was great 'till it ran out and I was switched to the retirement insurance the county offered. It was a plan based on a demographic of 62-65 year olds like you who retired before Medicare kicked in. Large $$$.

I shopped around and ended up with a high deductible HSA plan with a $3k/year deductible, they offer them up to $10k for less money. I got hit with stage 3 G-8 prostate cancer in '10 and the plan paid every cent for my treatment after my deductible, my out of pocket was exactly $3k. I think the cap is 1.5 million didn't come close to it.

Insurance for us early retirement guys isn't cheap, due to age we're a high risk pool and the pricing reflects that. My premiums have been going up $100 per month every year.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:53 AM   #24

Unfortunately, HSA's are going away if Obamacare stays. It was a great system. Some of the most unhealthy places in America are Doctors offices waiting rooms and hospital corridors. My Mother ended up dying from C.dif (an intestinal bacteria) picked up in the hospital while there on another minor. Going to the Doctor for a sniffle can cause you to contract something serious.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lindsay, I also agree everyone should pay their own way, pre-existing or not. I would never expect someone else to pay for my healthcare. My point was that to paint everyone with a broad brush is unfair. Perhaps I over-reacted. Those whose conditions are caused by poor choices should definitely pay their way.
That said, I believe everyone should at least have the opportunity to be able to purchase health care insurance, if it costs them more, so be it. Right now, those with congenital conditions are unable to acquire insurance at any cost. To me that is not right.
I sense I'm in the minority here, but I think a little compassion is warranted for our fellow citizens who through no fault of their own are left out in the cold.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Right now, those with congenital conditions are unable to acquire insurance at any cost. To me that is not right.
That is a very noble opinion and I am sure that many people share it. The question is since the tooth fairy is just a myth, somebody has to pay or their medical care. Who is that? The choices are other policy holders who are healthy, or the taxpayers. Many of them are having problems and have to give up much needed goods and services themselves to pay for the increased costs. Very hard choices here. We are both cancer survivors (several times over) and had to pay a huge amount for what is called guaranteed issue insurance for 3 years. Premiums started out at $1600/month and ended up at $1960/month. I have experienced both sides of this issue and still fall down on the side of each individual paying their own way. I also believe in helping those who need it.

Tags
insurance