Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Age of tires?

The used 36' Winnie Chieftain we bought has six year old tires. Its been stored under cover, should we be worried about dry rot or other tire problems because of the age?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #2

Take it to a tire store you trust. I would change the tires if it were me. Being stranded with a flat would cost you more in the long run. Tow truck on vacation tends to spoil the fun. Just my opinion.
Allofat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
How do they look? Is there sidewall checking (small or large cracks) caused by weather, ozone etc. Michelin states up to ten years but requires inspection for years 7-10 and that requires removing the tire etc. I would not want to use any tire past 6 years. I had Michelin's on a gas coach lasted only 5 years do to excess sidewall cracks. There will be those that disagree but for me at least it's not worth the risk. If you do have a blow-out it likely will cause physical damage to the coach even if you escape an accident.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #4

The chemicals in rubber start to break down in about 6-7 years...sad but true...you can not tell by looking at them...unless you have X-ray vision...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
There are some that insist that tires should be changed no matter what at age 4 or age 5 or age 6 or age 7 all the way to age 10. Then there are those that finally changed tires with them at age 12.
Have a tire expert look them over and give you their opinion. They could be ready to blow or they could be fine for the next 2 years. Only an expert looking them over will be able to tell you how they are.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Raining Star,
Because the tires are "new to you" consider following the advice in the previous posts (get them checked out). If you had purchased the tires new and had the 6 years history, my advice would be different. After they are checked out, using them or buying new tires is a personal choice.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #7

Replace them, you can't see the damage age does. We purchased a new to us 2003 Bounder last June. The tires looked good the tire shop they were fine and the first trip out we blew the left outside dual. Well 10k later everything was put back together and working. Tires are a very affordable peace of mind.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Tire age depends alot on where you live. If you live in a hot climate where your tires are exposed to alot of sunlight they will break down faster. After 5 years they may be done. If you live in a northern climate they will likely last longer. Like said above have them checked by someone qualified to do that. I just made a trip 3000 miles on 7 year old goodyear's and there is no sign of cracking or breakdown of any kind. I will run them for another couple years or until they show signs of distress. I worked in the tire/ rubber business at one time, so I do my own inpections.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #9

If you aint sure, replace em. Then you are good to go for a while.
Its risk reduction time!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
New rig, new tires, to start life out together. Best way to be as sure of your tires as you can be.

And one very good reason to buy tires is getting a new rig.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #11

Have the tired de-mounted and inspected by a tire shop. That's the only way to know their condition. Tires almost always fail from the inside out.

How much different are truck tires (also on MH's) than automobile tires? My wifes Jeep has Michlen tires with a date code of 1105. There is not one crack in any tire, and the tires have about 60,000 miles on them. Her Jeep is always garaged when unused. Now I know someone is going to say they are made differently, tell us how and provide documentation.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Have the tired de-mounted and inspected by a tire shop. That's the only way to know their condition. Tires almost always fail from the inside out.

How much different are truck tires (also on MH's) than automobile tires? My wifes Jeep has Michlen tires with a date code of 1105. There is not one crack in any tire, and the tires have about 60,000 miles on them. Her Jeep is always garaged when unused. Now I know someone is going to say they are made differently, tell us how and provide documentation.
Not made differently.
Age is quite relative to use, or lack of.
Many posts here
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN
The basic construction and construction methods are the same. The rubber compounds and belt material may be different. That beings said, they live their service lives in very different environments. The truck/ RV tires run high pressure and carry heavy loads. They sit in one spot for months then are in service for a few weeks or months then set again. Sometimes the pressures are right & sometimes not. So basically the construction is more similar than the service.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Not made differently.
Age is quite relative to use, or lack of.
Many posts here
My wifes Jeep is only used during winter months because 4WD is needed when it snows. When road conditions are clear she drives her Buick. This means the Jeep tires sit in one position for at least half the year; a 96 Jeep with 100,000 miles you figure how much it sits.
Regarding tire pressures, I suspect pound-for-pound of GVW car tires are loaded about as much as truck tires used on RV's.
Date of mfgr. is not the most important factor for a used tire. I have a 1989 24' farm trailer with original 15" load range D tires that sits all year except for about 4 weeks each summer. I haul a 8,000# tractor on it every summer, and it hauls 150 bales of hay each load.
What I'm getting at is; tires mostly fail because of neglect not date of mfg. That is confirmed by the RMA-Rubber Manufacturers Association.

Saying that, I agree with GaryKD's advice for the OP. I have seen RV damage from a blown front tire. One was a Renegade MH with the entire LF fender strewn all over the interstate, the other was a MH with what appeared to be at least $10,000 damage from a blown LF tire. The entire LF corner and lower portion of the front cap had to be replaced
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote