Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ahhh, the first trip of the year

Ahhh, the first trip of the year, and what a trip it was.

We left the storage lot in bright NW Sun (I know...how the heck did that happen). The old girl straining to contain herself as we rolled down the road...as if she had the same cabin fever I was feeling myself. There seemed to be no hill to steep, no turn to sharp...We were FREE!

We arrived at Thousand Trails in Bow WA without incident, a wonderful drive with little traffic. I'm starting to think I should have started camping a month ago...This is AWESOME!

The park has 300 sites and only 21 guests. We had our pick of any spot we want! A few laps around the park and we found the perfect site. Well, almost perfect, the winter months had taken a toll on them all and leveling became quite an effort, but doable.

We woke the next morning to light rain but we didn't let that dampen our spirits a bit. We completed our setup, cleaned up, started a load of wash and set out for town (I know, I hear you screaming now.....wish you had said something earlier). As I should have expected, we returned to a shower pan full of water as the Grey tank was over full. Luckily the volume of water was exactly 1 teaspoon less than what was required for the water to overflow the shower onto the coach floor. Arhg...@%&, &%#@ and many other choice words were used as I broke camp to go and dump. And of course, the weather is now looking more like a typhoon than PNW drizzle.

Luckily, the next couple of days pass uneventfully, but very wet. We spent our time hiding inside, cooking wonderful meals, playing cards and watching every Jeff Hunham DVD we have (I love that guy).

Leaving the park Sunday morning to do a bit of shopping we see the “5er”...OMG! We slept through the whole thing. We were told that the rig had recently had some work done to the propane system. Those that woke up and watched it burn, said it was all over in about 15-20 minutes. Beautiful to gone in a flash. Thankfully the owners are in Canada and no one was hurt.

We continue out to town with the fire hanging heavily on my mind. There seems to be soooo many fire lately and it's really got me concerned. Between the fire and the rain I'm starting to think it may be time to cut our losses and head for home....Nope, Co Pilot Veto!

I wake the next morning at 3 am to 30 knot winds and small branches falling on the coach roof....THAT”S IT! I'm outta here. Made breakfast, cleaned up and broke camp.

For those of you that have ever seen one of Jeff Dunham's shows, you'll remember the grouchy old character Walter. The entire drive home, fighting the 30 knot crosswind I heard nothing but Walter......

“DUMB-ASS!” What a trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0311121047a.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	18789   Click image for larger version

Name:	0310121006.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	947.5 KB
ID:	18790  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Oh, what does Walter know...at least you've got the kinks out and the 1st trip of the season is under your belt. Now, let the REAL camping begin! Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I'll take the a rainy day in the CG over a sunny day at work ANY time. Sounds like your trip was successful to me. You had a much better time than the 5er owner did.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would say as far as the MH ran a good outing . I will head to La'Conner in two weeks with I hope the same results.
toadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadog View Post
I would say as far as the MH ran a good outing . I will head to La'Conner in two weeks with I hope the same results.
We went over and drove through LaConner. It's looking pretty good. Less mud and debris than up at Bow. Looks like they've even added sewer dumps at some of the sites. I think it's a better choice than Bow, personally. We're only a few months out to the busy season and Bow doesn't look like they've even started getting ready...........

I hope you have better weather
Old 03-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
I'll take the a rainy day in the CG over a sunny day at work ANY time. Sounds like your trip was successful to me. You had a much better time than the 5er owner did.
Yes, we sure did! I feel so badly for the owners. I would just be crushed.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
Oh, what does Walter know...at least you've got the kinks out and the 1st trip of the season is under your belt. Now, let the REAL camping begin! Bob
Yeah, you're right...training camp is over. Time for the real stuff

I think the biggest issue I had was my rusty brain. Most of our issue were directly related to my bad decisions. Yup...just a dumb truck driver. You have to re-train me after lunch everyday
Old 03-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #8

I worry about the propane and fires all the time. I wish there was some other way so we can get rid of the propane altogether.
RanCarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I worry about the propane and fires all the time. I wish there was some other way so we can get rid of the propane altogether.
Yes, it would be nice. I wish I had more info on the fire...but no. My concern is more on the line of electrical. There's just no way to inspect everything without tearing the rig completely apart every year. I do look over everything I can, but it's just not enough for me. Just to many fires lately...always have my mind on it
Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
I've been RV'ing since 1957, I have yet to have so much as a leak in any of the systems in any of the RV's I've had.
Do propane powered vehicles shut the propane off when on the road?
Do gasoline powered vehicles shut the gas off when on the road?
The propane system is designed, built, tested and certified to be used when underway.
One fireman researched the entire US and could not find even ONE fire that was attributed to the propane being on and having a fire without some other contributing factor like a refer catching fire from a coolant leak.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Where is the TT in Bow, WA?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
Where is the TT in Bow, WA?
Yes Maverick, that rig was in Bow, WA. at the Thousand Trails park.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Unfortunate for the owner of the 5er. Glad your trip wasn't all that bad though. It's great just to get out. Sure breaks up the day to day duldrims. Hope the rest of the season goes great for you. Enjoy your travels.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
That's why we have smoke detectors, gas detectors and insurance!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote