Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
OK, few years back I decided that compressed air is the way to go... So I set the unit up and BLEW AWAY... No pink "stuff" required... until the Spring when filling the fresh water system I had water running out on the ground! Seems there was a low point in the Aqua Hot loop and moisture collected in the low spot (after the lines were blown out) and broke the connection!

For me, IF I have to winterize it will be RV antifreeze in the lines... and BTW, if you're putting RV antifreeze in why are you wasting your time with air?? The Pink stuff displaces the H2O... Best plan is to head south!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2015, 07:43 AM   #30
Commercial Member

antifreeze doesnt displace water. it mixes with water. if you dot get a good mixture it will still expand. the best way is to blow the unit out, then add the antifreeze.
antifreeze only will work if you use enough of it. i found about 5 gallons works for most coaches without blowing the lines out.
i learned the hard way, back when rv's used copper lines. even the smallest amount of contamination caused problems. dont forget the water heater.
but in the end, its your coach. its your money. use your own best judgement.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 04:16 AM   #31

Glad we all agree on the proper way to winterize Now lets talk about motor oil,
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:04 PM   #32

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjva343 View Post
I've never winterized my motorhome. I have a new "DeWalt DWFP55126 6-gallon 165 psi pancake compressor," which supposedly doesn't use added oil. Can I safely us this compressor to blow out the water lines in the motorhome? Thanks for any advice.

I finally winterized my Damon Astoria, using the compressed air method, combined with use of antifreeze in the Splendide washer/dryer, and in all the P-traps. I'v become fond of the deWalt 165 psi six gallon pancake compressor. I didn't use the wet method in the water lines because we will be heading south in a few weeks. While not intending to make fun of one RVer's unfortunate experience with the 20 degrees below weather in ND at the Bakken oil fields, here is his own posting of how his RV handled truly cold weather.

Another solution is to rent space for around $1500 a month in airplane sized hanger/garages and live there.

http://oilgoesboom.com/2015/05/23/yo...indoor-rv-park
jjva343 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, winter