Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

Air Compressor / Battery Jump Starter

I was looking at buying a small 12v air compressor, but ran across the Stanley 1000-amp Peak Jump Starter with Compressor. Walmart and Amazon have it for the same price ($69). All of the air compressors I was looking at with decent reviews were around $40-50. I was wondering if others on here have tried this one or if what you use.
Stanley 1000-Amp Peak Jump Starter with Compressor - Walmart.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2015, 08:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought a Schumcher XP2260 that has the air compressor, 2 - 12 volt outlets, internal inverter with 2 - 120 volt outlets. I paid $99 for this, it was available at both Walmart and Lowes for the same price.

I used the air compressor 2 times to air up a tire on a Suburban, the compressor only ran for ~5 minutes before it kicked out after getting hot and the tire was not full yet. If you read the literature it says it can take 6-24 minutes to air up a passenger vehicle size tire.

I bought this to have out on some property I'm clearing, I have used it to jump start vehicles and used the air compressor.

We will also take it with us in our toad when we go on trips to run small cooling fans for the dogs and emergencies.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

None of these can do more than top off a tire with a few psi. Often insufficient for a larger tire, or if the pressure is very low. That's true of many 12v compressor-alone pumps as well as the combo types. They also tend to come with skinny wires that get really hot and may even melt if run very long.

So, it's nice to have but maybe not up to the job when you really need it. Serious 12v compressors typically cost over $150. Viair makes some excellent ones.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

Air compressor/Battery Jump

That is our dilemma also. My hubby spent time researching on this. Ideally we want one that can do both air and battery but we need air for an rv tire as well as set to keep wheelchair wheels happy. The battery jump starter is also necessary. Can we get this in one machine or do we need to find 2 separate items. Don't want to weigh down the rig any more than necessary. We already need to buy tire chains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
None of these can do more than top off a tire with a few psi. Often insufficient for a larger tire, or if the pressure is very low. That's true of many 12v compressor-alone pumps as well as the combo types. They also tend to come with skinny wires that get really hot and may even melt if run very long.

So, it's nice to have but maybe not up to the job when you really need it. Serious 12v compressors typically cost over $150. Viair makes some excellent ones.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
If you have a genset on the RV, then save yourself some anguish and get a pancake type compressor that runs on 120volt. They can be had for a little more than what this thing costs and you will be much happier.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:06 PM   #6

Here is a very good 12 volt air compressor. It is the first one on the page listed for $79.99. I have been using it for a year when I need to air up my tires. I installed two outlets that allow me to easily connect the compressor.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I bought one similar to this. Same brand, just an earlier version. It wouldn't start my jeep. Very disappointed.

Jeep trekker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, compressor