Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #1

Air Compressor for RV Tires

I recently bought a Craftsman 2 gallon air compressor (110 psi max) for topping off my RV tires rather than going to gas stations. The tires should be inflated to 75 - 80 psi and I have been running at 70 psi because that's the limit for the air compressor at the gas station I use. My question is, will the 2-gallon compressor that I bought be adequate for getting my tire pressures to 75 - 80 psi? The product literature says it's good for truck tires. Thanks. Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #2

I'm pretty sure your compressor would take your tires up to your compressor max (110) if given enough time.

I just use one of the jump start batteries with a tiny little compressor built in and it has no problems getting my tires up to 80.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:26 PM   #3

Yes, it will get you there. You'll just have to stop a few times to let the compressor refill the tank.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #4

RV Compressor for RV Tires - Reply

I thought I might have purchased a compressor which was not powerful enough and can't really get the chance to give it a try for a while as the RV is in off-site storage. I appreciate the feedback - very helpful.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjschocken View Post
I thought I might have purchased a compressor which was not powerful enough and can't really get the chance to give it a try for a while as the RV is in off-site storage. I appreciate the feedback - very helpful.
What is the cut-in pressure and cut-out pressure? If the cut-in pressure is more than what your tire placald near the drivers seat states, you'll have frustrations with filling your tires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:54 PM   #6

Air Compressor for RV Tires

mjschocken, you should be fine to the 80psi you want. I have a 150 max that does 125+ without issue.
Happy Trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[moderator edit]

This is a very normal question [moderator edit]

I am sure you have seen that compressors don't run continuously.
A 110PSI compressor will run until the tank reaches 110PSI, and then it will shut off.
If you start using air, the compressor will not restart immediately.
It will usually wait until the tank pressure drops 20 or 30lbs before the compressor restarts.

This can become a pain if your trying to fill your tires to 100 PSI for example.

Once the pressure in the tank drops to the pressure of the tire, there will not be any more air flow. People have made devices which show the tank pressure, and also have a bleed valve. This is common when we use our Air Brake compressor to fill 22.5 inch tires.

When the tire and tank become balanced, you must stop trying to fill the tire, and then bleed off enough air so the compressor kicks in. Then you watch the gauge, as soon as the tank pressure is more than the current tire pressure, you can start filling the tire again.

This is why people buy the 150PSI pancake compressors, because it makes it a little easier when your trying to fill your tires to 105 or 110 PSI

Hope this helps.

Dan
Old 12-10-2015, 10:29 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
This is a very normal question, [moderator edit]

I am sure you have seen that compressors don't run continuously.
A 110PSI compressor will run until the tank reaches 110PSI, and then it will shut off.
If you start using air, the compressor will not restart immediately.
It will usually wait until the tank pressure drops 20 or 30lbs before the compressor restarts.

This can become a pain if your trying to fill your tires to 100 PSI for example.

Once the pressure in the tank drops to the pressure of the tire, there will not be any more air flow. People have made devices which show the tank pressure, and also have a bleed valve. This is common when we use our Air Brake compressor to fill 22.5 inch tires.

When the tire and tank become balanced, you must stop trying to fill the tire, and then bleed off enough air so the compressor kicks in. Then you watch the gauge, as soon as the tank pressure is more than the current tire pressure, you can start filling the tire again.

This is why people buy the 150PSI pancake compressors, because it makes it a little easier when your trying to fill your tires to 105 or 110 PSI.

Hope this helps.

Dan
When the tire pressure equalizes at say 50 psi the compressor will continue to to run balancing the tire and tank until the operator quits filling the tire at 80 which is the required pressure.
If you continue to fill the tire past 80 the compressor will kick out at 110 or it's cut out pressure balancing the pressure between tank and tire.
If the OP bought a compressor that you have to bleed off pressure in order for the governor to cut in it must be on a Big coach or a highway truck.
I have repaired enough compressors in my time and believe me you are not correct. I do agree that there is a set cut in pressure and a set cut out pressure. But not that differential on the compressor he is describing.
Now if the compressor cuts out as you say and the tire is attached to the compressor the pressure will equalize. Your making it sound as if the air will quit flowing if the compressor quits. It goes into a balanced pressure between tire and compressor tank.

My transport tires are rated at 110 PSI.
You are saying for 80 PSI you need a 150 PSI compressor.
What would my 110 PSI Tires require to fill them? A 200 psi compressor?
And I don't understand air compressors?
You are not helping the OP with his question.
A lot of people read this and it is an excellent source of info but keep the facts straight please.
The OP says he has a 110 PSI compressor and he requires 80 PSI in his tires.
His compressor is 30 psi over what he is looking for.
The only question that could be asked is is the CFM of the compressor.
110 PSI is all he needs. It may take a while and it may not however his compressor is adequate and will do an excellant job for him.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Narampa,

Yes, your right. But I do wonder if he will be happy with the amount of time it takes to put any significant amount of air into his tire.
His unit is likely rated at .5CFM@40 PSI, not sure what it might be at 80PSI..could take a fair amount of time to reach his target.

Regards,

Dan
Old 12-10-2015, 11:59 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I recently bought a Craftsman 2 gallon air compressor (110 psi max) for topping off my RV tires rather than going to gas stations. The tires should be inflated to 75 - 80 psi and I have been running at 70 psi because that's the limit for the air compressor at the gas station I use. My question is, will the 2-gallon compressor that I bought be adequate for getting my tire pressures to 75 - 80 psi? The product literature says it's good for truck tires. Thanks. Mark
Sir,
Take it back and get one like I bought problem solved.
Merry Christmas,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151206_142402.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	113869  
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I spent a bit more and got a very nice compressor, well worth it.

look here, VIAIR Corporation - 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor (P/N 40047)
Old 12-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Mark,
I've used this one for years. As I said earlier, it'll do what you want, you'll just have to pause a few times to let it refill it's tank. In theory, I could continue to fill the tire while the compressor runs, but I have found it takes less time overall if I stop and let the tank fill up.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
I spent a bit more and got a very nice compressor, well worth it.

look here, VIAIR Corporation - 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor (P/N 40047)

I just bought the new 450 version. It is rated with a 100% duty cycle and the compressor cuts off when demand is satisfied. It had no issue with bringing a 295/80 tire up from 92 pounds to 102 pounds in about 3-4 minutes.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:12 AM   #14

I use a battery powered compressor/jump starter to top off to 80lbs. Works great, no cords to drag around, don't need long hoses, light weight and stores easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
Narampa,

Yes, your right. But I do wonder if he will be happy with the amount of time it takes to put any significant amount of air into his tire.
His unit is likely rated at .5CFM@40 PSI, not sure what it might be at 80PSI..could take a fair amount of time to reach his target.

Regards,

Dan
If I need to add a significant amount of air I'm heading to a tire shop that can fix the leak. If it's totally flat I'm calling for road service.

Tags
compressor, tires