Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

Air Condition rain water leak or normal?

We have a new to us 2011 32v Fleetwood Southwind motorhome. During a very very heavy rain storm I notice 15 drips coming through the roof AC unit screen/vent - and ultimately water traveled up/in the roof interior to a ceiling light and 5 drips came out. Is this normal that an AC may take in some water during a VERY Heavy storm ( never any leaks otherwise ) or could it be a roof AC seal or ??

I paid $150 for a roof seal leak test a month or two prior - no issues.
TweetThisRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweetThisRV View Post
We have a new to us 2011 32v Fleetwood Southwind motorhome. During a very very heavy rain storm I notice 15 drips coming through the roof AC unit screen/vent - and ultimately water traveled up/in the roof interior to a ceiling light and 5 drips came out. Is this normal that an AC may take in some water during a VERY Heavy storm ( never any leaks otherwise ) or could it be a roof AC seal or ??

I paid $150 for a roof seal leak test a month or two prior - no issues.
on cheaper non ducted roof ac units the ac is mounted with 4 with bolts through the ceiling and sealed with a gasket.Assuming the gasket is still ok these 4 bolts need to be tightened up as they tend to slack over time
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:19 PM   #3

Thanks - are those for bolts on the roof side or the 4 screws I see from inside the RV?
TweetThisRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #4

Roof A/C Units (ducted and non-ducted) are secured to roof via 4 hold down bolts

Remove the ceiling grille cover to access the bolts ---one in each corner.

They need to be tightened evenly....use an 'X' pattern.

BUT they should only be SNUG.
If you have a 1/4" drive INCH torque wrench then you can tighten them to 40 INCH Pounds (NOT FOOT Pounds----INCH Pounds)

So........SNUG
That means finger tight then just a 1/4 turn with a wrench

Roof gasket is 1" thick when new and gets compressed to 1/2" when bots are properly SNUG.
Over tightening with squish roof gasket causing distortion and leaks

Hopefully with only the slight dripping during heavy rains just snugging up on the hold down bolts will seal it.

Also if gasket gets compressed too much the Evap Coil drip pan drain holes can get blocked due to A/C pan being to close to roof line
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks - are those for bolts on the roof side or the 4 screws I see from inside the RV?
You tighten the air conditioner hold down bolts from inside the RV. The 4 bolts you see on your ceiling, assuming you have a ducted unit, are the screws that hold up your grill. If you remove them you will see the four bolts that secure your AC unit to the roof. They are not supposed to be all that tight, but snug. Atwood in this link says they should only be 4.4 # pounds.
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/...2016_Rev_9.pdf

Oops - didn't see Old Biscuit's reply when I typed mine.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

No, it is not normal for water to drip in, no matter how hard it rains. However, I would not be too sure that the leak is around the a/c itself - it could be coming in anywhere and running along the ceiling. Just because you saw it first at the a/c opening does not mean it started there.

By all means check those 4 a/c mounting bots, but don't get fixated there. Or the associated gasket. Could be a roof vent, antenna mount, plumbing vent, or any other seam or opening through the roof.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
No, it is not normal for water to drip in, no matter how hard it rains. However, I would not be too sure that the leak is around the a/c itself - it could be coming in anywhere and running along the ceiling. Just because you saw it first at the a/c opening does not mean it started there.

By all means check those 4 a/c mounting bots, but don't get fixated there. Or the associated gasket. Could be a roof vent, antenna mount, plumbing vent, or any other seam or opening through the roof.

What Gary said!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #8

Quote:
the four you see from inside. tighten those up and as long as the gasket never got damaged while installed it will most likely fix the leak
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:06 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Roof A/C Units (ducted and non-ducted) are secured to roof via 4 hold down bolts

Remove the ceiling grille cover to access the bolts ---one in each corner.

They need to be tightened evenly....use an 'X' pattern.

BUT they should only be SNUG.
If you have a 1/4" drive INCH torque wrench then you can tighten them to 40 INCH Pounds (NOT FOOT Pounds----INCH Pounds)

So........SNUG
That means finger tight then just a 1/4 turn with a wrench

Roof gasket is 1" thick when new and gets compressed to 1/2" when bots are properly SNUG.
Over tightening with squish roof gasket causing distortion and leaks

Hopefully with only the slight dripping during heavy rains just snugging up on the hold down bolts will seal it.

Also if gasket gets compressed too much the Evap Coil drip pan drain holes can get blocked due to A/C pan being to close to roof line
Going by this I think the problem could possibly be that whoever sealed your roof could have overtightened those bolts. Keep that in mind also.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak