Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Air Horns stopped working

My air horns stopped working when I press the steering wheel horn recently though they worked fine a week ago. I located some brochure on the air horns that came with my MH and they indicate that there should be a separate air compressor and air tank for the system and that the horn button simple activates a solenoid near by the air tank that release air into the horns. Any ideas as to where I would find the air tank, air compressor or solenoid for the air horns? I've looked closely in the front basement compartment underneath the drivers chair area with no luck. I've also searched under the front corners of the coach and don't see them anywhere.

Is it possible the air horns run off my coach air systems? My owners manuals and related diagrams don't show any air horn systems other then one wiring diagram indicating that the horn button wire is #57.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #2

If this is a DP, I would say that there's a good chance the air horns run off the coach's air supply.

Generally the solenoid is under the hood.

A lot of times there is a dash switch to allow switching from "city" horns to "highway" horns.

This reminds me of the time I prepared myself for battle with the air horn system on ours that had quit out of the clear blue like you describe. I located the relay, lines, solenoid, etc, and was in the process of checking out the city/highway switch after removing it from the back side of the dashboard. With no joy there, it occurred to me I might check the horn fuse? Sure enough.....
Old 01-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

Air tanks are underneath the MH so they can bleed moisture and oil when needed.
King Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Kind of suprising that a DP would have separate air supply for the air horns when it already has its own onboard air system. However, they do make air horns that have their own built-in compressor, powered by 12v electric. They are typically used on coaches without an air system, e.g. gas-engine coaches with hydraulic brake systems. Maybe CC used that kind of system on your coach to avoid running air lines to the horn location, e.g. up on the roof.

In either case, the horn button activates a solenoid to toot the horn. That solenoid either opens an air valve (on-board air system) or powers the horns own mini-compressor that spins up and blows the horn. Chances are that either the solenoid has quit or the fuse for 12v power has blown.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Tim, obviously my Allure may be set up differently but take another look in the bay under the driver's window. There should be a couple of fuse boxes with labels. I think there is a horn fuse that you can check.

My horns run off the coach air supply. The solenoid that sends air to the horns is mounted in that bay near the lower front wall. It has a 1/4" yellow nylon air line coming out of the top. If the relay has gotten some crud in it, you might give it a tap with a tool to see if that frees it up.

One of my horns quit working. I called Hadley and they said to remove the back of the horn, clean the thin metal diaphragm and reinstall. It cured my problem. Probably not your issue if both horns have quit.

Let us know what you find.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:56 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Mine went a couple months ago-- ordered and installed a new Solenoid
Mine is plumbed from one of my 2 air tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Glover Air Aolenoid.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	83116  
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:18 AM   #7

Are you now in freezing temperatures? Compressed air will have moisture in it that could freeze and block the pipes.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:15 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you can find a air solenoid somewhere up front, have DW press the horn switch and you give that little bugger a good rap with a stout hammer. Might work, might not..
Good luck
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #9

I thought on my 98 Magna there was a seperate small compressor right in front of the generator battery?
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #10

Okay, thanks to all of you. I'll try to I.D. both the fuse location -- and check it as well as the solenoid location--and give her a god rap.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tim.....Do you ever set things on the steering wheel when parked. Many like to tilt the wheel up and use it as a table. This will sometimes depress the horn (which will not sound when the air is dumped) and will often blow a fuse.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote