Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
"Confirmation bias" is a pernicious disease of the mind that just won't ever go away while customers are prepared to throw money at schemes which are easily verified scientifically, but for obvious reasons, never are.

If a couple of hundred dollars of plastic could reduce fuel consumption by even 1%, there wouldn't be a truck in the world without them fitted. If they obviously don't work with square-backed trucks, why would they work with the rounded edges of a motorhome.

(and since when were tabs plastered all over an aircraft. When fitted, they are very few, relatively small and only fitted to resolve localised problems.)
Um.. for aircraft - not really. Bush planes use them all the time. Several have them from the factory. Same with Citation Jets and the like. They DO work and ARE proven scientifically.

As for Trucks - There ARE ' a couple hundred of dollars of plastic' on most ALL trucks that DO reduce drag and increase mpg. The latest of such is the plastic you now see on most trailers running from inside the Semis drive wheels to outside the trailers wheels. These reduce the wheel vortexes under the trailer and improve mpg.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
What I have read so far is that they do affect the handling of a motorhome, mostly when big trucks are passing, we have all felt this pushing and pulling when trucks pass? Do they calm this pressure and vacuum down a bit? I sure wished I had asked the gentleman with the hot tub about them and see what he said, but I did not want to tie him up to long. Can anyone contest to the advantages of having them on thier coach?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
every truck driver i have talked with that has them likes them notice the back end stays cleaner, less spray from rain, used on top of the hood keeps bugs off the windshield. some say a improvement in MPG (but of course its not magic numbers but like in the .x area) Alot of magizines and "groups" for the driving industry have tested and like the results

I just dont see the average rv'er putting enough miles on to get a payout, but if you like some of the other benifits then it may be worth it
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the large trucking companies can save even .5% on their fuel costs with such devices, they will purchase them. Half a percent on several million gallons is a fair chunk of change. I saw the "TrailerTail" system on several semis out west on our big trip this past fall. Looks like an expensive piece of hardware. Somehow I don't see the big companies investing in such a product without a clear cut return on their investment.
For a company doing several million miles annually, it may make sense. For the average RVer, save your money for gas.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tractor Trailer Aerodynamic Belly Fairing | Freight Wing
I see a lot of these on trucks. Must work.

Aerodynamics 101 - Tractor Trailer Aerodynamics | ATDynamics
More good information.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:50 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Mr. D , who is Brett Wolfe?
Long time contributor on RV.NET, the FMCA forums and FMCA magazine.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
It's been known for years that the shape of the rear of a bullet in flight is as important, maybe moreso, than the pointy tip, to the aerodynamics of the flight of the bullet.

Bullets have a blunt aft end. Bullets include Artillery shells which fly 20 miles. Minimal drag is an extremely important issue with ammunition.

A smooth airflow is the important item which explains all the plastic fairing under and around big trucks.

Everyone, except Madison Ave Advertising Execs, knows that the surest way to improve your mileage is to get your foot out of the carburetor (so to speak).
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:28 PM   #22

Last year my wife took her ailing father on a cross country trip with our brand new Jayco Class C Greyhawk. She drove the entire trip, I was working. I later installed the Air Tabs and she noticed an immediate improvement whenever she was passed by a big truck. They really do help the handling, and cost about $250..
Now we retired and upgraded to an Entegra Coach. We haven't used it much, and we are not sure if we need the air tabs yet.
lowpasslew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:45 PM   #23

I buy stuff that is proven and has a positive effect on my bottom line or my comfort. When this is truly proven, I'll consider the investment/payback thing.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #24

They Do Work

If you want proof, just ask the next truck driver you see that has them. We were in the trucking business for several years and installed them on all our trailers. Improving fuel mileage is pretty hard to track, but handling is where they reall shine. Trailers were much more stable in cross winds. Back of the trailers stayed much cleaner. They are definitely worth the money.

Trucking companies won't generally buy them, because they can't justify the cost, but an owner operator will buy them, because they are the one hanging on to the steering wheel 11 hours a day, and anything that makes their job easier or safer is where they put their money...
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ok, IF I do add Air Tabs, but can't place them along the roof edge because the solar panels (flexible panels stuck directly to the roof) I assume it really isn't worth the time or money for me to add them just down each side?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #26

Been several years and many tens of thousands of miles driven in several countries since I first looked at installing airtabs, and although I would like to ask someone if they work, I have yet to see a single real live vehicles with them on. At that time I did find some results published by an Australian company that indicated a worthwhile improvement, but that hasn't translated into the rest of the trucking industry using them despite our relatively high cost of fuel. Same in Europe where fuel is even more expensive.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
Ok, IF I do add Air Tabs, but can't place them along the roof edge because the solar panels (flexible panels stuck directly to the roof) I assume it really isn't worth the time or money for me to add them just down each side?
I'd still do it. If you do the sides only that is 2/3rds of the benift.

I saw a set today on the rear edge of a CO2 tanker.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #28

It all depends on air flow, doesn't it? Short of putting your rig in an air tunnel and analyzing the air flow on your rig, you really won't know how air tabs will work until you put them on. Semi trailers are pretty flat sides and top, with none of the things that motorhomes or rv trailers have on them like vents, antennas, satellite domes, etc. It would seem to me that if you paid between $100-$500,00 for a rig and you are now considering $250 for air tabs, that sounds like a "drop in the bucket" to me. You will never know until you try it.... Until then it is just pure academic discussion...
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote