Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My 36' 1995 HR Endeavor had them when I bought it. I can't say they improve anything because I never drove it without them. I did, however, have a 1989 33' HR Imperial with a tag axle. When a big vehicle would come up next to me while passing, I could tell right away. I had to fight the steering wheel to keep it on the road. I have had trucks pass with this MH and not know they were there if I wasn't watching the mirrors. The same is true when having a truck going in the opposite direction or when I'm following a large vehicle too closely. I definitely have less pushing and pulling.

These are two different MHs but they are around the same size. Both have tag axles and, as I said, I never drove this vehicle without the tabs.

RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #30

A truck driver once said,"Putting on air tabs, is like tying a tail on a kite. It just stabilizes the whole rig." I thought that put it pretty well. Thanks for sharing your experience...

Old 12-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #31

Couple weeks ago I ran across a auction on EBAY for a set of 90 Air Tabs. Bought them for a little over $100 with shipping. Installed them Thanksgiving weekend. Have to wait until after Christmas to check them out.
My son has them on his long haul tractor. He like others mentions handling more than fuel mileage is the improvement most noticed. I hope to keep rear window and camera clear.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #32

Country Coach Owners Club
aerodynamics

That video is of Masilla Valley Transport and they also run trailer skirts and super single tires in an effort to save fuel anywhere they can. It's a well maintained fleet and it's refreshing to see that many trucking companies experiment with these devices to reduce costs. I can only imagine what the comments were when the first trucker installed a roof mounted air deflector on top of his cab were. Most of these trucking companies struggle to get even close to 8mpg with a gross weight of 80k or more and we struggle to get 8mpg with our DP which weighs 32k.

Who knows, although is seems what is far fetched for MH's today might be built into them in the future.

Just my comments and thoughts.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #33

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuydog View Post
. Most of these trucking companies struggle to get even close to 8mpg with a gross weight of 80k or more and we struggle to get 8mpg with our DP which weighs 32k.

If MH could be speced like a tractor (HP, Trans speeds rear end gears) according to weight, desired travel speed etc etc it would help out alot. Most fleets have their trucks speced out exactly the way they need it for opitimal MPG's....... It would be nice to be able to do that
Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #34
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
If MH could be speced like a tractor (HP, Trans speeds rear end gears) according to weight, desired travel speed etc etc it would help out alot. Most fleets have their trucks speced out exactly the way they need it for opitimal MPG's....... It would be nice to be able to do that
I'm sure you could accomplish the same, if are willing to pay for it. I'd imagine that they can do the research on one semi and it tranfers over to most other semis. They don't have all the obstacles on their roof like we do.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 AM   #35

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post

Well, the day of specking a road tractor may be coming to an end. As production costs rise more truck makers are looking at offering option packages much like the auto makers do.
Then there's the EPA's CAFE ratings that are in the works for big trucks, it would be hard to put a fuel millage figure on trucks that are built to a specific need instead of a production run of trucks all built the same.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay......no one is saying it, so I will. THEY'RE UGLY!. They would have to make my custom painted DP perform like a Formula One Race Car before I would stick them on.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #37
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Okay......no one is saying it, so I will. THEY'RE UGLY!. They would have to make my custom painted DP perform like a Formula One Race Car before I would stick them on.
He said with such diplomacy.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #38

I put them on our two previous coaches. They definately helped with tracking when trucks passed and driving in cross winds and they kept the dirt accumulation on the back of the coach and the toad down to a much lesser amount. Our present coach has a very rounded side and top shaped rear cap and I don't think they would help as much. If the corners were more square I would definately put them on.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are those, myself included, that think all those swirly graphics on MHs are ugly. I prefer either solid or two-tone paint jobs.

The airtabs? Yup, they're butt-ugly.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing Nut View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are those, myself included, that think all those swirly graphics on MHs are ugly. I prefer either solid or two-tone paint jobs.

The airtabs? Yup, they're butt-ugly.
When I first saw them on that Essex in Hilton Head this spring I stood and looked and did not know if they came on the Coach or even what the hell they were! All's I knew that theywent from the top to bottom and even in of the front and rear tires.........On that Newmar Essex they were not "UGLY" by any means.... They just added to the over all WOW of the whole Coach. If they provide as much control when semi's are passing and in cross winds it would be a small price to pay, as far as looks on one Coach to the next.........We ,in our life times have all had something that was "UGLY" and and grew to live with it. Air tabs at the least would have to be a conversation piece while having a favorite beverage
Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #41

I'm not against the idea. But, that much money for some stick on pieces of plastic seems to much to me. If I could buy a set for 40 bucks or less I would certainly give them a try!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #42

Drove the motorhome 1400 miles last 3 days. Very impressed with handling change with passing vehicles. Never felt any movement until a bus passed me at at a high rate of speed compared to my 62 mph. Did not cause a handling problem. But did let me know bus had enter my air space. Traveling down the road was more stable. Made it much easier to stay straight forward. Do not think it has made any difference in fuel economy.
It was worth the $100 I paid for 90 air tabs.