Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #71

To set the record straight, this is my 4th post on this topic. The first two reflect my personal experience with air tabs, and the experience of my business associates (truckers) who have air tabs. I will admit that the 3rd post did not add any significant subject matter to the discussion at hand. But I will re-state that my personal experience with air tabs on over a period of 3 years, on tractor / trailer rigs, provided a significant improvement in handling in cross winds and passing vehicles. It also improved rear visibility in raining conditions. I also visitied with at least 75 owner operatiors (truckers), who pull the same trailer everday for up to 11 hours per day, in all kinds of driving conditions, and not one, was disappointed in the performance of air tabs either on their trailer, or on the truck and trailer combination. I apologize if I have offened anyone, in any way, and I hope I have answered the original question in the posting.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #72

Mike,

Don't let my rant bother you. It is just the internet and anyone with a keyboard in front of them can expound at length on subjects they have no knowledge that would help the discussion but can't resist the urge to post "something" (-: Unfortunately we all get sucked in at one time or the other. I do not claim to be above it all.

Jim

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
IRV2 is a great resource!

Positive or negative opinions aside, this thread introduced something that I've never heard of before.

After doing my due diligence in research, I'm convinced these can make a significant difference in performance. The most compelling case was made on a you tube video showing an airplane without tabs, with tabs on 50% of the wing and with tabs covering 100% of the leading edge of the wing. It reduced the airplanes stall speed by 15knts. This is a huge improvement on an airplane!

Based on airplane performance as well as the positive comments from people who have actual experiance with them, I can see this is a future enhancement for me.

I had similar experience with dynamic balance beads. Added them to my coach and my experience in 1600 miles is that it has never run smoother or more quiet. I was told by many on this forum that the beads were "snake oil". So much for "opinions"....

Mark
Mark B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #74

I understand what you are saying but I still think its not wrong if never I used a product but was at one time and did my own research and decided it wasn't for me. What's wrong with sharing that is all I was saying. I guess bottom line is making up a 'rule' here on your own bugs me. Like all the unwritten Walmart Parking rules. But hey let's get along here and sorry for being sarcastic, my bad .
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #75

Freightliner Owners Club
Even though some don't feel these little buggers are worth the money I do. They have been on my coach for 3 years and my wife has agreed that they help in handling in cross winds and when being passed by a big rig. None of mine have started to detach and they do not detract from the coaches appearance in my opinion. They do help in keeping the back of my coach clean and that is always a welcome addition.
Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Well, in lite of the new posts coming in from more people that have them and have posted factual comments from using and road testing them on thier equipment........ I might just change my mind on buying a set of them and giving them a try myself. I really like the comments in every post on how they affect the handling of the Coach when traveling. I don't care what or if they affect my mileage as I am driving my house, but the handling corrections that they make to any amount would be welcomed. My rig drives great and handles great, but I do have affects when the winds pick-up (as most do) and I can feel the big trucks when they come by. And the big thing I guess is I have some extra somolies burning in my pocket........
Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
And the big thing I guess is I have some extra somolies burning in my pocket........
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #78

Freightliner Owners Club
This is a picture of my coach and the airtabs.

Mike and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
It always amazes me in forums like this one, when a person poses a question about a product, and asks for responses from people that have used them, the few individuals who somehow think the rest of us that want to learn something are not interested in your opinion, if you haven't used the product. After reviewing 5 pages of responses, those that have used them like them and stated why, very clearly. Those that have not used them seem to be on some sort of crusade to make sure that everyone knows their opinion on a product they have never used. Everyone can have their opinion, but common sense should tell you that no one wants to hear yours if you have nothing to contibute, except your opinion, based solely on your non-experience. Answer the man's question or be quiet...
Your prerogative to get all huffy when someone warns about potential scams but the facts are that it is not unknown for companies to set up Dorothy Dixer discussions solely to promote their product. Of course the discussion is joined by other accomplices and pretty soon fiction becomes fact and a few sales result. Should these schemes be allowed to pass without informed comment just because I and others haven't fallen for them?

In this case, as in other similar scams, there are a few pointers that raise alarms in anyone even slightly familiar with the methods used and I think anyone with a reasonable amount of scepticism should be able to spot them. I don't see that I or anyone else should just stay out of the conversation just because I haven't used them and can't give glowing references to bolster others glowing reports. Bit like saying someone shouldn't warn others to stay off the train track just because they are smart enough to know not to be on it when a train is coming and so don't personally know what it is like to be hit by a train. Although the great majority do know to stay off the train tracks, Amtrack blasts away on the horn anyway just to warn off the unwary..

Now that i know there are millions of trucks and motorhomes running with air tabs, Betty and I will while away the hours playing spot the air-tab. I'll report back on the results. Maybe one column for trucks with air tabs, and one for motorhomes with air tabs.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:05 AM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Your prerogative to get all huffy when someone warns about potential scams but the facts are that it is not unknown for companies to set up Dorothy Dixer discussions solely to promote their product. Of course the discussion is joined by other accomplices and pretty soon fiction becomes fact and a few sales result. Should these schemes be allowed to pass without informed comment just because I and others haven't fallen for them?

In this case, as in other similar scams, there are a few pointers that raise alarms in anyone even slightly familiar with the methods used and I think anyone with a reasonable amount of scepticism should be able to spot them. I don't see that I or anyone else should just stay out of the conversation just because I haven't used them and can't give glowing references to bolster others glowing reports. Bit like saying someone shouldn't warn others to stay off the train track just because they are smart enough to know not to be on it when a train is coming and so don't personally know what it is like to be hit by a train. Although the great majority do know to stay off the train tracks, Amtrack blasts away on the horn anyway just to warn off the unwary..

Now that i know there are millions of trucks and motorhomes running with air tabs, Betty and I will while away the hours playing spot the air-tab. I'll report back on the results. Maybe one column for trucks with air tabs, and one for motorhomes with air tabs.
The contestment and testimonials on this subject mostly were from people who auctualy had bought them installed them road tested them and posted thier results (1 post on nasa and 1 on airplanes not tested by the poster I believe) and then here on this thread after not buying them , testing them and just typing away(negative to the thread)......... you tell these people that they are involved in a SCAM? I think it would be good for you and Betty "to away the hours" looking for these air tabs, don't buy and test them yourself, don't study on them to maybe find out if just maybe these few comments to thier performance might be true, just spend your time playing "spot the air-tab". As far as your future 2 posts on this subject, I perdict the "the views" on your threads (results) will not end up with a high viewing result, so I would for sure use this reporting energy to play spot the air-tab and have fun.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 AM   #81
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Exclamation

Let's knock off the personal comments as they are not in keeping iRV2's rules or Mission Statement.

In addition, all members are welcome to post in all areas of the forums.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #82

The OP made a simple clear request for comments from those that HAD used AirTabs. What is so hard to understand about that. I know--Its the internet and the urge to say "something" is impossible to resist even if it is NOT what the OP asked for.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All very interesting, both pros, cons, from haves and haves not. I wasn't familiar with them either. The one con I read from someone with them was having to reattach them as glue gives up the ghost. Have not chased it down but wonder if you can buy single replacements if you were to lose one while underway and other than aesthetics - what impact that might have on effectiveness. I suspect not much impact given overall weight involved. Might be more of an issue with an aircraft.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
AHave not chased it down but wonder if you can buy single replacements if you were to lose one while underway and other than aesthetics - what impact that might have on effectiveness. I suspect not much impact given overall weight involved. Might be more of an issue with an aircraft.
You can purchase individual tabs for $2.75 each plus shipping.